John Wick: Chapter 2

Just saw it. That was one tough pencil.

“A fucking pencil! Who does that?”

Am I the only one who was really disappointed that Peter Stormare was only in the first scene? I was really excited at the prospect of him being the villain.

Oh yes definitely. The eurotrash villain and his tween henchman were definitely lightweight villains. Liked Common, though.

At first, I was glad that his character didn’t stick around beyond the intro. I usually enjoy Stormare chewing the scenery, but it also seemed to be that kind of character that he seemingly plays 90% of the time. (There’s a full season of Blacklist of that.) That said, 5 minutes into having encountered the actual antagonist of the movie, I was wishing for Stormare’s character to return.

FWIW Boxs Office Mojo thinks this is sitting at 61M domestic (which is an estimate of course and a tad higher than what’s showing in other places) and 31M foreign. It apparently did nice business during the week (~12M) before ~16M this weekend. Anyway it’s more than doubled the alleged 40M budget after two weekends. Healthy prognosis continues!

I can’t recall what’s considered a “bad” second weekend drop off, but it’s a lower % number than the >50% Chapter 2 did.

I kinda wonder if the triangle-faced girl was a nod to Harry Morgan’s role as the silent henchman in The Big Clock. The hall of mirrors shootout certainly felt like it was an homage to The Lady From Shanghai. Now I wonder if there were any more shout outs to classic noir movies that I missed.

Oh, I thought the hall of mirrors was an homage to Enter the Dragon.

Just came back and god damn what an amazing action ride. I had a dumbass smile on my face all the way through, pretty much.

It is a shame Stahelski and Leitch only started directing now, they clearly have incredible talent for this stuff.

The film felt so…meaty…so much action and yet so much time without action to let it breathe a bit…

And all the humor, when Wick and Cassian fell down ALL THE STAIRS we were laughing our asses off, but it was so fun.

Ruby Rose was hilarious…she was in so many shots, she has great charisma and is just funny simply by her presence, loved her.

Rome was good, but once he came back to NY the real stuff started and it was just utterly glorious…I can’t wait for third movie and Deadpool 2.

I just saw this.

I went in with pretty low expectations. After all, the reason the first movie surprised me so much is that even though I don’t care for minimal story revenge action movies, the first movie really made me care because of the puppy. And I was fully emotionally invested after that.

So how can they possibly do that in the sequel?

Well, they did it again. I wasn’t invested at all in the beginning, in that motorcycle chase and the cab company fight? Yeah, I didn’t care. But when John gets pulled in using that token, the way he does? I have to admit, as bizarre as that seems, that got to me. I was very intrigued after that scene with Ian McShane where he explains that John has no other choice. I guess there’s just something about being forced to do something that immediately made me care about what happened to John after that.

Overall, I had a great time. After the action scene in Rome, I was fully engaged, and that’s what makes for a great action movie. When you’re hanging on every choreographed action scene? That’s when an action movie is super satisfying.

What a great ending too. I loved it.

They did, and I can’t wait for the Blu-ray in a couple of weeks to see it again.

I just recently saw it as well. Holy shit, what is the body count on this one? They drop an amazing amount of people in this movie. For a personal one man spree and not a war or crazy world threatening Bond villain, it has to be close to a record. If you can handle the ultra violence its a great ride and of course if you cant handle ultra violence, I have to ask, what the hell are you watching a John Wick movie for?

I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. I felt the first Wick was solid, but a bit too much of a bog standard revenge movie overall.

In the sequel they nearly went full Kingsman, and I can only love a movie that nearly goes full Kingsman. Just delightfully eccentric and over the top unapologetic sheer kinectic assassin badassery.

I think Amazon Canada sent this a bit early to me.

SO JELLY

Amazon Canada FTW.

-xtien

Watched this over the weekend. Not a good movie.

Excellent analysis. Would read again.

-xtien

That put a smile on my face. :)

123 (45)