Joker - Origin movie with Joaquin Phoenix

It’s Joaquin Phoenix. That’s enough for me to give the movie the benefit of the doubt. If anyone (other than Mark Hamill) can nail the role, it’s him.

Great trailer. Doesn’t give much away besides the fact the Joker can contort his body into crazy shapes, and even a nutball has a chance with Zazie Beets.

I’m on board.

Ugh. No.

Looks pretty good to me. Joaquin Phoenix looks like he’s going to do an amazing job with this role.

Couldn’t stand the music, the trailer could’ve used more subtlety. But yeah, Joaquin gives me hope, and maybe there’s an interesting story there to be told.

For me it just feels like an unecessary first act. Where does this story end? He finally comes to the realization that chaos needs to happen and he grins into the camera and its over? Don’t think I need 2hrs of moping to find out the joker is nuts.

Is this a stand alone thing or will Batman pop up in a sequel to try n stop him?

That’s exactly what keeps me from getting excited about this trailer. If everything in this trailer is the first act, and we’ve got a fully unhinged maniac on a rampage for the third act, great! Joaquin is a great actor, and I like what I see here.

But I’m nervous it’ll be exactly what you said, he flashes a grin to the camera and the credits roll, or it culminates in a single moment of violence (maybe he guns down Bruce’s parents or whatever). I don’t need to see a broken man being pushed to his breaking point, I need a Joker movie to be about someone pushed so far past that he comes out the other side an unrecognizable, larger than life force of evil, and I’m going to be unsatisfied if that is left as a tease for the future of the character.

I agree with you, but then you have the problem of a villain without a hero. Venom didn’t work for me at all, possibly for that reason.

But Venom is totally a hero. Or is there something wrong with eating people in your book? :p

Good or bad, it certainly looks intense.

What it needs is a score by Bernard Herrmann.

Society kept hitting Joaquin and nobody bats an eye.
Joaquin finally fights back and everyone loses their mind.

Falling Down Clown

The trailer is fine. Looking forward to seeing the movie.

I was intrigued by the movie until I saw that trailer.

Now I worry it will be 2 hours of watching a mentally ill man get abused and assaulted.

Not interested. Maybe the second movie.

Who asked for this?

Stick around, we can hang out in the corner.

Wow, that trailer hits a ton of the right spots for me, personally. Joaquin seems all-in for the role.

There’s also a huuuge nostalgia factor for me. I grew up in 70’s NYC, in that very neighborhood with those massive steps that connect Fort Washington Ave at 187th street, down to Overlook Terrace. I trudged up and down them countless times, decades before Realty Corps re-branded the neighborhood ‘Hudson Heights’.

The subways I rode as a youth were the graffiti covered trains depicted here. I don’t really care if there’s no Batman cameo, looks fantastic as a stand-alone. And was that Robert Deniro as the talk show host? Almost reminds me of King of Comedy.

I’m down.

Batman was actually in the trailer. But he was about 9 years old.

It’s not Batman without the bat suit!

Also, I noticed Phoenix did not get jacked in preparation for this movie like Hugh Jackman did for Wolverine. What, is Phoenix some kind of pinko commie?