Jon Shafer's At The Gates

I mean, no one’s really even seen a medium to late stage playable beta of this game, right?

That’s usually a reaaaaallly bad sign.

If I were a journalist interested in the fate of this game, I would send the artist in the pitch video an email asking what she knows about this project’s status. She seems to have moved on for quite a while now.

I know Jon had some health issues last year. I’m more concerned what the radio silence says about that than the fate of some video game, as much as I might want to be playing it right now.

Yes, that’s what I was thinking. Particularly since he has been a member of this community.

@Jon_Shafer, how are you?

The thing that is concerning is that in the last update, Jon says that they’re hiring a community manager to improve communication, after a long period without updates while he dealt with health issues. There hasn’t been any communication since, and that was back in August.

I’m with you guys though, I don’t really care if I get the game so much as I hope Jon is doing okay.

I didn’t realize he also has a forum for his game studio and he hasn’t posted there in a long time. The natives there are extremely restless.

Too early (or late) to build a dream team of Jon Shafer, John Romero, and Derek Smart to bring this through to fruition?

Some people’s dream are other’s worst nightmare.

I’m really surprised by the lack of updates. I’m not even talking about anything substantial. Just a mere, “hi guys, I know you’re really looking forward to this and we have run into some delays but I just want to let you know that I’m still working on this and I really appreciate your patience”. Something like that even would quell 3/4 of the restless supporters.

Limit Theory came back from the dead and now seems likely to be released this year (maybe). So I have hopes ATG can as well.

I’m also a backer. This is completely speculation but it’s quite possible Jon either can’t or it’s advisable for him not to update us on the status due to legal concerns. Like maybe he’s close with a couple of partners, and doesn’t want to spook one or the other by making an announcement. Or the partner’s terms were that Jon wait for their timeline to announce the partnership and the future of the game.

Possibly wishful thinking but my fingers are crossed!

In those situations, it’s usually best to post a “hey, working on some things but can’t talk about details yet.” kind of message, especially when fans are antsy.

Or what if Jon started a game and the “one more turn” effect kicked in.

Agreed. “I’m alive/OK and following posts” would be nice. Otherwise I keep thinking about much more horrible circumstances like life ending disease :(

My experience in the startup/Angel investing world is that a slim majority of entrepreneurs, aren’t comfortable giving investors/backer bad news.

Or as I say “denial ain’t just a river in Egypt. it is a powerful coping method.”

Entrepreneur, “crap nothing is going right everything is behind schedule, Well in two weeks I should get this thing working, I’ll update them after that.”
A month later: "Damn, that took longer than expected and something else went wrong. I’m just too tired to do an update, next month. Rinse and Repeat.

On a personal level, I think he’s alright- his girlfriend is still posting on twitter like normal, and posted a picture of Jon from three months ago.

My guess right now is just radio silence or super-busy. What Jon is trying to do is super-ambitious and might have been beyond a 3 person staff.

Perhaps he should consider going the early access route to grow interest and funds needed to finish the game.

The other question that comes to mind is whether the game design is adequate to accomplish the vision that he has for the game. Sometimes a design doc and the actual gameplay experience don’t quite measure up.

I wish him well and everything works out for him in the end.

I am quite interested in the game but I am glad I did not back it. I have issues when someone takes people’s money and then refuses to do the work or provide timely updates.

You mean like the government?

In Jon’s case, we don’t know if it’s actually refusal to do the work. He could very well be cranking away silently and that’s really the big issue that most people have with crowdfunding, is the lack of communication. That’s when the torches and pitchforks come out. I’m fine with giving $20-30 to fund a project, even it takes 2+ years, but I gotta know what’s going on! Even if it’s just a “hey guys, still working hard! Here’s a screenshot to whet your whistle!” Is that so hard?

Why would someone whet their whistle? Wouldn’t they just wet it?