Joss Whedon? Seriously?

And it had a really great visual jerk-off joke.

Yep, that was the one. No music apart from natural sources, sarah michelle gellar giving the best performance of her life, along with the rest of the cast… Damn. Now I want to see it again.

I was a Buffy-disdainer for a long time. I remember catching one random episode back in the day and I just wasn’t into it – Faith especially seemed like a horrible actress. Nevertheless I splurged on the DVD set for my girlfriend last Christmas and watched most of the episodes with her. I have to agree that there are some major high points and lots of bits of cleverness that I liked. “Hush” was indeed great. (The DVD explains how the Gentlemen appeared to float by being suspended on wires from a crane, which I thought was amusingly mechanical in these days of CG-everything.) I can’t imagine ever watching season 7 again though. The whiny baby slayers and Buffy’s pompous speechifying make my internal organs cringe just thinking about them. Andrew’s geek humor and Caleb’s creepy priest were the only redeeming aspects I can remember from the season.

The DVDs also have lots of extras containing interview snippets with Whedon – he’s a geek’s geek, all right. I’m interested in seeing if his Wonder Woman flick will be Buffy/Firefly-ish or played more straight. In my mind he’s certainly got enough geek cred to get all the superhero projects he can handle.

Criminey, have you got issues. Buffy saved the world five times a year for six years, and the one time they let the guys, who have always been the bumbling incompetents, actually prove they have some value in their own right and the show loses all its feminist cred? That’s just retarded. Especially given the ultimate feminist statement of the series finale. You’re the worst kind of feminist: a stupid one.

“Most notable” and “a lot”. Not “the one time” and “all”*.
There are other things that bother me, like the constant upgrading of Giles’s character as a patriarchal figure, to take one.
The last season was crap, I guess the ultimate feminist statement must have been lost in that, for me.

*From what little it had to begin with. It was, after all, ultimately flawed all the way through.

For everyone ragging on that “toad” line from X-Men, take 5 minutes and read this interview at the Onion AV Club. Or hell, I’ll save you all a bit of time with a quote (though the entire interview is worth reading):

It’s still a stupid line, even if it is pissed out flippantly.

See I buy that, although probably because I think Halle Berry sucks a lot more than Whedon.

The show lost it’s feminist cred by making the main character a dude-with-tits, even to the point of beating her more feminine “boyfriend”; and by killing off the only positive female role model left on the show (Tara).

“You’re a dick” totally makes up for the lightning line IMO.

Which is why it sucks that they got rid of Cyclops in X:3, the hate:hate relationship between Wolverine and Cyclops in the first movie had really great potential.

I guess I must’ve been drooling too much to notice Irène Jacob actually deliver her lines.

Agreed. Loved that line, and the little retracting all the claws but the middle one snippet. Good stuff. The Toad line is over-rated as a bad line, yes it stands out in that movie, but it’s far from the worst line ever uttered in a script.

It really is the delivery. The line is goofy, OK. But if delivered as a joke, where you build up like you are about to say something profound and specific, and then you just say “Same thing that happens to everything else,” it’s not so bad. Halle delivered most of her lines in the movie poorly, IMO. I haven’t seen her in Monsters Ball, so I can’t say much about her acting. But in X-Men, she’s terrible.

So Whedon is writing the X-Men comics now, or something? Which comics did he write? I’d like to check them out, since everyone seems so keen on them.

I know he wrote Astonishing X-Men 1-8 or so… not sure if he’s still writing that series, branched out, or what after that.

Astonishing X-men Vol 1; Issues 1-12 are collected in trades now. Great read for the 1st arc, a step down for the second.

There’s Astonishing X-men Vol 2 right now, two issues in and its potentially fantastic.

She’s startlingly good in Monster’s Ball. It’s like it’s not even her. She was adequate in Gothika, which is probably dull as dogshit on the small screen, but I found it pretty suspensful in the theater.

He’ll be back. I’m sure of it.

Dunno, I thought the whole last season of Angel was pretty crap. I hated Winnefred already, and when she became Ms. Wooden-Delivery Demon it was 100x worse. I was a sad panda when they placed her into Alias as well, but she wasn’t nearly as bad thankfully.

Speaking of which, the last episode of Alias was pretty cool. :)