Joss Whedon? Seriously?

Yeah, he certainly has had his failings as a person. Re: cheating and feminism - it’s disrespectful of those you’re in relationships with to cheat. That’s not exactly controversial. I guess the question is whether you’re being disrespectful to them in some part because they’re women, or if it’s that they just happen to be women because you swing that way. If it’s the latter, it’s not really being anti-feminist; he’d cheat on men just the same if that was his preference. Instead of being misogynistic, that’s simply being a bad human being. Of course, we don’t really know his underlying reasons so it could be either.

Whedon has fairly consistently been the “dude who gets women”. His wife probably didn’t enjoy all the years of “You’re so lucky”, pedestal placing from fans and probable “Cheating, a serious feminist like him, nah”.

No need to crucify the guy, just like there was no need to put him on a pedestal. His fairly glowing reputation in regards to women is going to take a hit though (assuming it was still glowing after the 10 year old WW script leaked)…

Very similar to being any kind of conservative that wants to enjoy 90% of media, haha.

As A Father Of Daughters, I Think We Should Treat All Women Like My Daughters

So he cheated on his wife. Can anyone explain why I should care? It was all consensual and they were of legal age, right?

I guess if he leveraged his power in the industry to convince these women to sleep with him, that would be pretty despicable. But I haven’t seen any evidence of that.

Whedon is a Sith Lord?

The DC films can’t catch a break.

He oppressed his wife with the public persona of being a feminist or female-issue-ally while also abusing that persona in real life to cheat on her multiple times, forcing her to live for years with that secret shame. Pretty much sums it up.

It’s the “just because he grabs pussy doesn’t mean he’s not pro-woman!” in another instance.

I don’t think he forced her to do anything.

Cheating is a dick move, but it’s a misdemeanor at most. No big deal.

I mean it matters a great deal to her, but it doesn’t really impact my perception of the man. It’s not like he was a politician campaigning on family values. If he cheated on his gay husband, that wouldn’t make him, err, anti-masculist. Being a jerk to a woman doesn’t mean you’re not a feminist. It just means you were a jerk.

This is where MRAness and Jezebel-ness and science and social media and a whole lot of preconceptions and unstated unwritten don’t be an asshole haven’t you met women in real life-nesses come into a really distasteful stew.

But basically women find it harder to stand up for themselves and/or are more willing to compromise and/or will put family first etc. Why that is so is so far beyond the scope of everything here. It just sort of is.

It’s not illegal but neither is divorcing your wife dying of cancer while trying to impeach a president for infidelity.

Maybe the public-private divide shouldn’t be so free right now. But she accused him of cheating with people on set, not just outside of the job. It makes it look like he’s using his “women positive” credentials to get laid.

You can’t use your feminist cred to cheat on your wife with hot starlets. It doesn’t work that way.

You can use your Hollywood producer power to cheat on your wife with hot starlets, though. And if that happened in any sort of even semi-overt way, if it was even implied that he would trade sex for advancement, that’s awful.

Obviously it’s always there underneath. Joss isn’t exactly whassisname, the guy that plays Thor, and he’s an older guy too. It has that aura of distastefulness to it. But again, I imagine myself in that sort of situation, happily married but surrounded by not just young hot, not just young L.A. hot, but young L.A. on the CW hot women, readily available and smiling, and man. That would take a lot of willpower.

I don’t get it though, you’re talking about the “using woman positive credentials to get laid” as if that’s the crime, not the whole cheating on his wife thing. Wouldn’t matter to me if he flashed an FBI badge to get laid. Actually that would be kind of funny. But I’m certain his wife would feel differently, as is her right.

Oh yea. It’s a bit ill thought out. Mainly it’s not the scale just the persona; he’s one of the “good guys” of Hollywood and many many women fangirled over Buffy.

Of course, Kate Hepburn’s Tracy Lord doesn’t quite fit that link ;)

The problem with Whedon is that he has embraced the idea of being a role model. Nobody put a gun to his head, and he was willing to don the mantle when it suited him. Lets be blunt about this. Whedon used being a feminist as a way to get laid. That might be a head shaker when done by your average Joe, but for someone like Whedon pretending to be a role model, its a betrayal. So he needs to be torn down and have his public persona “crucified”. His behavior is a mockery of any people that strive for a better world.

There is simply no way you can use feminist cred to cheat on your wife. That’s a completely ridiculous thing to say. It’s like using vegan cred to get free steak.

You know I’m inclined to agree but, then again, who can say? Women move in mysterious ways. There are probably a few women out there who would get turned on by that.

More than likely though this is him just pulling the standard Hollywood “big shot” sleeping with hot young thing, and his ex being pretty put out by that with him being lauded as a great guy while this is going on.

But it’s also clear that despite the long and angry reveal, she was actually a pretty passive party here. He walked out on her - by her own admission, telling her it was for her own good - leading her to mental collapse and a diagnosis of “Complex PTSD”, which is typical of (to quote wikipedia) “sexual, emotional or physical abuse or neglect in childhood, intimate partner violence, victims of kidnapping and hostage situations, indentured servants, slavery, sweatshop workers, prisoners of war, bullying, concentration camp survivors, and defectors of cults or cult-like organizations”. It sounds a bit like she had stars in her eyes as well. A lot of that letter was very much a “look at how much I sacrificed and gave up for your career so you could cheat on me” thing.

Oh? What’s that about? I haven’t heard anything about this part yet and have a professional interest. She mentioned a diagnosis of Complex PTSD in her blog post. Is it related to that?