Journalist ethics question

All depends on how much we discussed/fought with the editor already; I’m assuming he already had that discussion based on his resignedness of his initial post.

— Alan

Everyone just assumed that the management was trying to dupe its shareholders but Alex never actually says that.

What if they were simply going to ask the shareholders if they agree with the new pricing? In that case you’d have to modify the story since the pricing change might not actually happen, or you’d want to wait until it is certain.

I don’t think that pricing–unless it’s very drastic–needs shareholder approval. Usually shareholders vote on board members, mergers, etc.

If that was the case the source would have said: “After thinking about it, this needs shareholder approval and/or is likely to change after the shareholder meeting.”

It’s going to take some investigative reporting to get to the bottom of it, and since we don’t know what’s the story’s about, is it even worth it.

Ethics in a Nutshell. (For Journalists)

As a regular person, you do what it is you said you would do, when you said you would do it, unless it makes you feel naughty.
(Good Person)

As a journalist, you tell everyone everything you know, no matter what you said you would do, even if it makes you feel naughty, except when it comes to revealing a source, and then you zip the lip.
(Good Journalist)

End of Nutshell.

There are different ethical standards for professionals and normal people, because of the importance of their job functions to society at large. You will still be a bad person, but you get sort of a pass because society needs you to break certain rules the rest of us follow. Wash the dirt of your blackened cold heart with some nice warm scotch, and keep moving.

If it seems a little tough, I know, I’m a lawyer, and I have to cross some pretty bright, thick, clear regular good person lines because it’ll help society on the whole. (As dictated by the lawyers’ Model Rules of Professional Responsibility.)

Don’t feel bad though, cops and the Army, much more so than any of us, are called to be “Bad Guys” for the good of everyone. I would advise you to either come to terms with the tarnish and see it as color or try to compartmentalize your job functions away from the way you view yourself as a person.

Post Mortem:

We ran the story, fully intact. No reactions yet, print will hit on the 15th.