Journey To The Savage Planet

Surprised this didn’t get a thread as it has been out awhile. It arrived on Steam and GOG today. Looks fun, I recall @Jason_McMaster streaming it awhile back.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/journey-to-the-savage-planet/home

For people that would prefer not to download this game, it will also arrive on Stadia in a few days (On Feb 1st, ignore the article title).

Update 1/26: After a tweet caused some confusion about the release date, 9to5Google has confirmed with Stadia that the release of Journey to the Savage Planet will indeed fall on February 1st as a part of the month’s new titles free with Pro. The article as follows has been updated to reflect that information.

This Eurogamer review made me want to play it, but then I forgot all about it for a while and couldn’t remember its name.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-27-journey-to-the-savage-planet-review-a-genuinely-funny-toybox-to-explore

Then somehow I got it confused with Risk of Rain 2 when I had a Stadia trial but it didn’t take long for me to realize that couldn’t have been the same game I was remembering. (Also not the same as Rainworld.)

I like this game a lot. It’s more of an exploration/adventure game with metroidvania-esque gear upgrades than a shooter, though there is plenty of combat. A real sense of whimsy, but with dark overtones. Interesting problem solving. I really should get it installed on the new computer.

I completed this at the beginning of 2020 before Covid-19 hit and really enjoyed it. I think it’s about as close as you’ll get to a new Metroid Prime but with a dark, oddball and slightly maniacal sense of humour. It’s got a really nice (and relaxing?) blend of exploration, combat and story, and the soundtrack by Brian D’Oliveira (Tearaway, Papo & Yo) is great too. It gives it a kind of spaced-out frontier vibe which really jams with the overall tone and colour of the game.

I played this on Epic and took so many amazing photos in-game (they took me ages to set up!) and then when I uninstalled the game after completing it… it removed the folder. Gah, that still stings.

lol, I was about to come here and be all, “man, this game has a good soundtrack,” but of course here is exactly where I saw that information in the first place.

Agree, bought it on Xbox on release and enjoyed it thoroughly. The game world does not have the wackiness of the meta-story and the bizarre ads pumped into your cabin on the ship, creating an odd duality in the overall experience, but it’s a reasonably well-tuned first person metroidvania for an AA game. I liked the strangeness, but your mileage may vary.

I think this is still on Game Pass. I should give it another chance. I played it up to the point when the world first opens up a lot, maybe an hour into the game, and that usually scares me away for some reason, whenever a linear game opens up into sort of an open world, and I die, and I get lost, and I wasn’t sure where I was, that sort of thing.

Yeah I’ve been meaning to play this one forever. I would be bummed if it left Game Pass before I got the chance. Same with Void Bastards, just haven’t made the time.

This game does an excellent job of addressing your concerns. If you die, you get a waypoint on your compass pointing to your corpse/loot. It also does a good job of pointing you to your next main quest and sub-quests.

Love the game so far, 4 hours in. Very fun.

Looks like the new Citizen Kabuto.

Soren Johnson has a great interview with the lead designer on his Designer Notes podcast:

I played this game with my 13-year-old daughter glued to the screen and we had a grand old time.

I’m finding this pretty bland (playing solo). The art and humor are nice, but the gameplay just isn’t doing anything for me. I thought Supraland was a much more engaging experience in this genre. Since I seem to be in the minority though, I’ll chalk it up to mood.

I didn’t like it either. I played it for like 7 hours on Sunday and while I liked the writing and humor, I didn’t find it all that engaging. I also didn’t like the more puzzely aspect of exploration as you got further on.

I think I got to an area where you needed to get to top of a tower, there was a lake with electro bugs and then floating pillars with barnacles on them going upward. I tried to figure out how to get to the top for a while, but I just gave up. I also did not apricate that monsters would respawn on a timer. Like you kill the monsters, and then stand there trying to figure out how to get somewhere and then your attacked again because they all respawned.

FYI: It’s on sale now for 50%. DON’Tt buy this game.

Even at 50% sale since there’s no support coming ever because the studio was shut down by Google Stadia.

Er um- what support? I played it on PC last year and everything seemed fine - fun game too.

I may be misinformed–I thought it was a GAAS which was incomplete at launch and depends on rolling out remaining gameplay. If it’s a fixed story/campaign, then I should retract my warning.

I didn’t finish (thoughHad a a lot of fun with it) but afaik it was a fixed campaign. Is there such a thing as a single player gaas?

Yeah, no it’s a self-contained campaign which can be played single-player or with a friend online. Maybe that part of the game is gone? I don’t know. This does not strike me as a game designed specifically for cooperative play though.

I completed it solo last year shortly after launch and it’s a solid and amusing Metroid Prime-esque first-person adventure. There’s some DLC, Hot Garbage, but I’ve not checked that out yet.