Judge Dredd TV series coming!

I hated Stallone’s Dredd film back when I saw it years ago, but I have to agree now hat I have read some of the source comics that it’s ugh more faithful to them than the more recent film. That said, the newer movie is way better. The only thing better about the first movie was getting Brewmeister Smith a role.

And of course we shouldn’t start getting our hopes up blah blah blah …

He was a good Dredd.

Surprise twist on the new Dredd TV show:
It’s just a reality TV series taking place in 2017 Minneapolis.

Couple of pieces of concept art:

Democracy March

Lowlife Arrival

I realize this probably falls into the category of “not really news” but, Karl Urban confirms he’s interested, if there’s a story reason for Dredd to be there.

If there’s a story reason for Dredd to be in a Judge Dredd show?

An interesting reason, I think he’s saying. Not just Dredd popping up and going “Hey guys! Good job! Everybody’s counting on you. Anyone seen Rico lately?”

I mean, can they not just take one of the many cool comics storylines?

You would think so, but I guess they’re trying to walk a careful line in not making the show be about Dredd but still have him in the periphery. I’d be totally cool with him being this legendary character that everyone kind of mentions in hushed tones and then he barges in and kicks ass and then he’s on his way. But there’s risk in that too because then you might have viewers saying “hey, why can’t we get more of that guy?” and then you pretty much have the Dredd show.

I’m confused, why can’t they have the Dredd show? Is this like the stupid Marvel TV show thing where they can’t have the Avengers?

I think the issue is that producers and writers think a series in which the main character is a largely monosyllabic badass that shoots people all the time isn’t rich fodder for TV drama.

So, um, why make a Judge Dredd show at all? Who looks at the comics and thinks “What this needs is less Dredd”? How are, say, The Cursed Earth or The Day The Law Died not perfect fodder for a TV drama?

Heck if I know, man. Probably the same people that thought the Geico cavemen or a Twitter account about a grumpy dad needed their own shows.