June NPD Data

No competitors and the NBA playoffs don’t end until June. Makes sense there would be interest that long and without a competitor to split the sales, 2K11 is benefitting big time this year. Its numbers have been good all along.

Good question. That promo started in June, huh?

ALWAYS bet on the Duke!

It also helps that it’s a very good basketball game. :)

It’s not like they’re gonna call George, get the team back together and create a sequel though is it? More like this means more money for a Borderlands 2.

There is already talk of another Duke game.

D’oh!

Perhaps you missed the part where Duke Nukem is the hero that is forever?

Yeah, but without the development baggage perhaps this one could be good?

That’s funny. You’re funny!

Sports games tend to have sales spikes during the playoffs.

The prevailing theory is that a lot of those are because of the deal where you bought a laptop and got a free 360 or whatever.

EA delaying their NBA game to fall 2012 is probably going to be the best news Take-Two received all fiscal year.

Seriously? What’s next, a free 360 with a box of cereal?

The deal was for new college students starting this fall (they made you provide enrollment info), and you had to purchase a laptop for more than $1100 (IIRC). Not exactly cheap, when you get a decent Win7 laptop (at least for what College students use it for) for ~$600

Yeah, it wasn’t a bad trade-off for either party. Really, MS just wants to get units onto people’s shelves and get them buying games, peripherals, and subscribing to Live.

It’s for laptops $699 or more.

I think so since it’s a back to school gig. I just wondered if those were counted.

We have to remember NPD doesn’t release numbers anymore, the 500K figure we have is directly from MS. While NPD might not count consoles given away, I doubt MS has any compunction about lumping the numbers together for June. According to Michael Pachter (as related by VGChartz, apparently), the 500K number includes not only consoles given away as part of that promo, but a large sale directly to a distributor in Brazil (to be resold locally). Actual North American retail sales may not have been more than around 300K. That would still be enough to be number one in NPD and be more in line with expectations.