Just add Wookies (SWG, KOTOR, RC, etc.)

Some consider the the first cracks in the armor of the Myth of Star Wars was the focus on ewoks in Return of the Jedi. Is it overcompensation to have all things Star Wars recently to feature the Wookies? Republic Commando, now this and soon to be Ep. III all feature the ewoks big brothers. Heck even KOTOR used Kashyyk as one of the planets.

Can wookies save Star Wars?

Maybe nothing says starwars more then wookies and lightsabers. One day we will start to see wookies WITH lightsabers.

If you haven’t seen wookiees with lightsabers you aren’t playing SWG.

Y’know I was really keeping my powder dry to sing the praises of the new GCW improvements which came in a recent patch but I wanted to make sure my early enthusiasm wasn’t misplaced. So far, it’s made my gameplay alot more entertaining and even more Star Warsy for a variety of reasons. However there are some issues so I was going to see how they’d be sorted out before I posted anything here. Getting a little sensitive about being the only SWG player at Qt3, or one of very few. :)

But, man, Rage of The Wookiees has really set off warning bells for me. There’s nothing there that makes me smile, it’s as if all the lessons learned by the dev team have been for naught. I’ve already fired off a colorful post in the forums there which I’d post here as well but, as pissed off as I am about RotW for a variety of reasons, I’m also still happy with many elements of the upgraded GCW and still entertained on occasion by Jump to Lightspeed. So, before I really get into it all, if I get into it all, I’m going to kick back and just see how things really go before I get all rantified.

I still pop back to SWG from time to time when I get some spare time to get into it. These days almost exclusively to play JtLS however. What are the big changes to the combat balance?

So, it’s called Rage of the Wookiees? Wookiees always struck me as kinda laid back. I didn’t know they could rage. I mean, they’re big and all, but do they really get pissed off? Is this canon?

Can Wookiees be jedis? Why isn’t there a Wookiee on the Jedi Council with Sam Jackson? Is it some sort of subtle racism on the part of the Council?

Also – and this is a serious question – is it true that the climax of Return of the Jedi was originally supposed to take place on a Wookiee planet, but George Lucas shrunk them down to Ewoks to be more toy friendly? Is this an urban legend, or is there any hard evidence for this?

-Tom

The Galactic Civil War reaches a new level of intensity as players struggle to gain and maintain control of cities throughout Star Wars Galaxies. Players will receive a rousing call to arms from the leaders of both sides of the struggle and will see their every day actions matter more than ever before. Cities previously known as Rebel strongholds risk being overrun by the arm of the Empire. And complacent Imperials could see the rebel insignia flying over their town in an instant.

This week’s publish to Star Wars Galaxies allows factions to raid and take over cities, changing their look and feel and strategic positioning. Iconic Star Wars leaders will be imploring their supporters to join in the fight. Players also gained access this week to some very cool Player Event Tools. Players will now be able to use droids to set up their own large-scale in-game events, like scavenger hunts, lotteries and the ever popular swoop bike races! Also, to spice things up, players will be able to rent NPCs actors to add some real talent and variety to their events.

Star Wars Galaxies… increasing the fun factor with each and every publish. Jump in and see what the buzz is all about!

That’s the spin. The basic lowdown is that PvE GCW is now functional, no more TEFs and a PvE only combatant status (you can wear iconic gear and use Faction NPCs without being overt now as well). The base count for a planet determines control and there are both PvP and PvE bases available for purchase with faction points. NPC cities are garrisoned and once a planet flips you can kill off the enemy forces where friendlies will spawn to take their place. Kinda busy at work now. More later if you’re interested.

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Announcements&message.id=475

So, it’s called Rage of the Wookiees? Wookiees always struck me as kinda laid back. I didn’t know they could rage. I mean, they’re big and all, but do they really get pissed off? Is this canon?

Yes, they can go ballistic and be super scary in a rage, but they don’t do it too often. Some crap about conquering their inner beast.

Also – and this is a serious question – is it true that the climax of Return of the Jedi was originally supposed to take place on a Wookiee planet, but George Lucas shrunk them down to Ewoks to be more toy friendly? Is this an urban legend, or is there any hard evidence for this?

I’ve heard that one too, that the final movie was supposed to take place on the Wookie planet of Kashyyk, but Lucas dumbed it down for the cuteness factor.

Just to add to the random-rumor-factor, I think I heard Lucas say that they were originally going to be wookiees, but what he wanted for the the story was for a primitive culture to beat back the empire. He’d already shown Chewbacca flying spaceships and fixing droids, so the wookiees weren’t primitive enough by the time he got to the third movie.

As canon as canon gets.

Man, I don’t remember that script sucking so much back when I was little.

See that’s my original point… He’s trying to erase the past by giving us the wookies we deserved back when he jumped the shark in 1983. All is well in Lucasland today since you can’t turn around without running into a wookie.

Is it just me, or does referring to the first Star Wars movie as Ep 4 really begin to get on one’s nerves?

Troy

Yeah, I don’t think you’ll find any actual evidence for the Ewoks=toys other than general cynicism toward Lucas.

As mentioned by Nathan, in the original treatment for Star Wars the final battle was similar to that of ROTJ and did feature Wookies both fighting a land battle on their planet as well as fighting in space against the Death Star. Lucas realized that his initial plans for way too ambitious for his budget and time constraints and cut that part out. When he revisited it in ROTJ he altered the creatures to fit the themes that Nathan mentioned above, which were relevant to him in the aftermath of the Vietnam War. Lucas was actually slated to direct Apocalypse Now for a time in the mid-70s.

RC features Wookies because ROTS features Wookies. RC is partially designed to be a tie-in game so the events on Kashyyk in RC take place immediately prior to whatever occurs there in the movie.

Lucas was actually slated to direct Apocalypse Now for a time in the mid-70s.

Arghhhh! The horror, the horror, indeed.

-Tom

Its easy to say that now, but when you look at the three Lucas films from the 70s (THX 1138, American Graffiti, and Star Wars) you see a nice variety of tone and capability as well as some great films. I seriously doubt Apocalypse Now under Lucas would have the same status as Coppola’s work but it certainly could have ended up being a good to great film. The Lucas of the 1970s was a much different (and better) director than the Lucas of today.

[Star Wars geek]The battle of Endor in RotJ was originally supposed to be on Kasshyk with Wookies vs. Stormtroopers-- but that was in the original, 200 page script called The Star Wars that encompassed what we now consider the original trilogy. The theme being that the will to win was much more important than technological superiority, with perhaps analogies to the Vietnam War.

By the time Lucas got around to actually doing RotJ, Wookies were clearly established as technology-using beings. Chewbacca could fly and fix the Millenium Falcon just as well as Han Solo, and he had a type of blaster all his own (the bowcaster). Lucas felt that explaining that Chewbacca was unique and from a race of tribal natives that still didn’t use tech was too much of a stretch, so he made up the Ewoks.

Perhaps the Ewoks became furry teddy bears in order to sell more toys, but I’ve never heard anyone from Lucasfilm say so. It’s more likely Lucas said, “Let’s just make them little Wookies” and that was that.[/Star Wars geek]

[quote=“Kevin_Grey”]

Its easy to say that now, but when you look at the three Lucas films from the 70s (THX 1138, American Graffiti, and Star Wars) you see a nice variety of tone and capability as well as some great films. I seriously doubt Apocalypse Now under Lucas would have the same status as Coppola’s work but it certainly could have ended up being a good to great film. The Lucas of the 1970s was a much different (and better) director than the Lucas of today.[/quote]

Also - although Coppola’s 4 1970s movies represent the greatest streak by a director ever, his subsequent movies are all mediocre, if not disastrous. Apocalypse Now killed him as a director.

“Droids don’t rip people’s arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookies have been known to do that.”