Just Cause 4

60% off at greenmangaming… is that worth it given the mixed reviews on this one? I am a JC fan, so tempted at this price…

Ok. I decided at 24 EUR its a no brainer.

It’s worth it! Won’t set the world on fire but is fun enough to tool around in for a while.

I love the series anyway - so was a matter of time. Even a crap JC game is pretty fun :) Besides, these days I have less time for gaming and more stress at work so something super simple where I can come home from work and drool mindlessly while blowing up stuff is welcome from time to time :)

Aaaaaand I pulled the trigger. :)

I’ve been doing too many road trips lately and I need stuff to play.

Franchise ded?

“Our 3Q plan was premised on the HD Games sub-segment offsetting sluggishness in the Games for Smart Devices/PC Browsers sub-segment, but results were disappointing as we sold fewer copies of the HD game “JUST CAUSE 4” on launch than we had expected. Both net sales and operating income declined YoY at the Digital Entertainment segment. 3Q at the HD Games sub-segment was marked by growth in the holiday season of digital sales, especially of “SHADOW OF THE TOMB RAIDER,” and by the launch of “DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2.” Meanwhile, while we released “JUST CAUSE 4,” we sold fewer units on launch than we had anticipated and were therefore unable to offset charges such as the amortization of development costs.”

New developer update news dropped today also.

https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/topic/jc4-dev-updates

Looks like they are mostly working on graphics issues now.

Zero news on the Season Pass content.

Not surprised they aren’t doing well with the JC series these days. IMO they lost a lot of us who were JC2 fans and thought “just don’t screw it up” with 3 and 4. I tried 3, got frustrated by numerous gameplay issues, and deleted it. After that, with all of the other open world games (Horizon, RDR2, Far Cry series, etc.) I feel no compulsion to go try out JC4.

This from someone who spent a LOT of hours in JC2, much of it pure exploration and non-main-mission stories mayhem.

What I’ve noticed and anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Going from JC2>JC3>JC4 there seem to actually be less things to blow up in each game.

Developers should have had one primary question with every game in the series: What can I not blow up, and why can’t I?

I was genuinely hyped for JC4 after loving JC2 but hearing about how horribly JC3 ran on Xbox. It wasn’t until Steam Reviews and Xbox Store reviews poured in that I had second thoughts about jumping in at full price.

I’m still in dire need of an open world arcadey destruction game, and I don’t want to play Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-Marstered because I’m not up for a remaster of a game I completed too recently to forget everything about it going in.

I’m not a big Fan Cry fan but would that fit the bill? Or the new Crackdown maybe?

I miss the Mercenaries games. Give me a new Mercenaries game with the destructability of Red Faction, and I’m in.

I will second Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction if you have a PS2 or Xbox handy.

Brigador and EDF 4.1 are both great too, and the latter is currently $12 in the March Humble Monthly.

It’s also backward compatible on the Xbox One. Looks quite nice up-rezzed to 4K.

To be clear, EDF isn’t open world, it’s discrete levels, though they can be pretty large. It’s almost entirely destructible, however.

Awww man. Goodbye Christofer Sundberg. I never knew your name until now. Thanks for giving us Just Cause 2 and Mad Max. That’s a lot of joy.

This has just hit Xbox game pass, available now. I was a bit hesitant to buy it because of mixed feedback, but will definitely check it out.

If I wasn’t in the middle of Crackdown 3, I would check it out. I don’t want to switch open-world games in mid-stream though. I’m hoping I can finish Crackdown 3 by early April when my Game Pass subscription goes to.

I think Just Cause 4 will have to wait until my next go around on Game Pass.

BTW, it’s not appearing in the gamepass area for me yet, but if you search for the game, it does show it’s available to install through gamepass.