Just Lost Job - Coping/Job Hunting Advice Needed

Keep going man. Last time I was unemployed, it was for nine months and sent out over 150 resumes. It’s odd, Gordon that you’ve had no face to face interviews though. Where are you finding jobs to apply to?

Familiar story, sadly. Folks can say the economy’s on an upswing, but trying to find a job it really blows right now. My partner’d been out of work since January '15, and the only bite she had before the pharma company finally called her in was at The Body Shop at a local mall (and even they didn’t call her back for a second interview). Mind, she was too sick to work/apply for a chunk of that time, but still, 1.5 years unemployed has been hellish for her.

Mind, still not out of the woods yet. Haven’t heard back on those background checks yet. . .

Point being, don’t take this stuff as a reflection on yourself, Gordon. It’s the market, and the market blows. I know someone will recognize your obvious value sooner or later, though!

You may want to keep an eye on the Hacker News Who’s Hiring monthly threads. They tend to be pretty robust lists across tech industries. Here’s September’s:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12405698

There was also recently a Who Wants to be Hired thread:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12405700

I got a pretty good nibble yesterday from a place that said they were really impressed that I had come from Yahoo (never heard that before), they were surprised I was still on the market, etc. But then I did a bunch of research on the place, Amen Clinics, and the straw that broke the camel’s back came here.

Carl Sagan is my personal hero, and I just can’t go work for this guy, especially not on consumer-facing branded web stuff. Sigh.

You’ll have egg on your face when it gets peer reviewed and it turns out it’s all true!!

Have they offered you an interview?

Note: I am surprised that when people are channelling, aka lying, that they had less brain activity. I would have thought you’d need more to do all of that cold reading.

Ha ha ha. That Dr. Oz … did he actually go to medical school? Did he receive any scientific training at all? What a buffoon.

Here, Dr. Oz, I can communicate with aliens telepathically on another planet. Let’s hook me up to an EKG, MRI, and polygraph and see if me lying about it makes the machines do anything. Wow!

What’s scary is Dr. Oz is one of the foremost cardiac surgeons in the country. He just cashed in, plain and simple.

They did but I declined to pursue my application. I didn’t see any point in wasting their time.

You’re a better man than me. i would have probably chalked it up to researching for my next memoir and suffered through a year or two of working with them.

Good luck Gordon. It’s hard to be out of work. I hope you find something soon.

Yeah, my opinion of surgeons has really taken a beating these last few years.

It’s not easy but soul destroying is a big word. There are much worse things. And worse jobs, which someone will do. Some would say having the ability to work and support your family is the greatest gift of all, but by the time you learn that it’s often too late.

I would encourage you to go and work for the disgraceful shonk psychiatrist (one of many), and when you can’t stomach it any longer move on, I know they’re preying on people, but that’s how the helping professions work.

Isn’t Ben Carson a brain surgeon or something?

Yes, also one of the foremost in his field. The mind doth boggle

I’ve thankfully not lost my job, but I’m looking for a new one in higher ed. I am filling out an online application, and have run across something I’ve never seen before. It’s in the section on employment history. One box is labeled “responsibility” and the next is labeled “duties.”

How the heck do I differentiate between job responsibilities (or, rather, responsibility–it’s singular) and job duties?

Googling gave me the philosophical difference between the two, but that doesn’t help me here.

My guess would be that responsibility is sort of a high level functional description of your job and duties are the actual down-to-earth things you do to accomplish it. So for instance if you were in business development your responsibility might be ‘expand the business by developing new customer contacts’. Duties would then be ‘call customers, develop relationships through personal lunch and dinner social events’ etc.

As someone who just went through the job search process I do agree those are some strange things to put on a form.

In addition to Charlatan’s very good advice, I’d put out the general reminder to consider what a formal job application/resume/CV is really about before filling one out. It’s a puzzle game and the win condition is “get by HR and to the interview stage.” I know a lot of people stress about being exhaustive and complete on such things and it’s really not necessary. Don’t lie, keep it brief and to the point, and cherry pick things from previous jobs that are relevant to the job being applied for to highlight. Repeat key words from the job posting wherever possible.

Best of luck!

Agree on what @tortilla said. The purpose of the resume/app is purely to get the interview, and thus has to be something that differentiates it from all the other resumes/apps that the hiring manager will have piled up on his/her desk. One very good approach is do a lot of research on the company and their markets and needs and what’s been going on with them lately, and make sure your resume hits on some key points related to that. Read your resume/app and ask yourself, why is the hiring manager going to put this one on the “call” short pile and not in the “eh” big pile with all the others.

Well on Monday my wife’s boss resigned. She works at a small 3 man company. He was the installer, my wife designs the kitchens, and they have a driver/ delivery guy. The owner has other companies, but we don’t know if he’ll replace the installer guy, or close the company.

My wife is due in 3 weeks.

We’re, needless to say, a bit uncertain at the moment. Add in the insurance stuff going on (her insurance is through the exchange), and we’re a bit on edge. We’ll get by, I make enough that we’d survive, but it would probably kill any savings for a house or retirement.

Don’t worry too much, man. Remember that, pretty much no matter what, you can’t lose your insurance this year. You’ve got a contract with the company for the year, and they are legally required to fulfill it. It’ll just be a question of what happens next year, if they repeal the ACA and fail to replace it with something.

She does the templates for cabinets and countertops? Where are you?