Just Lost Job - Coping/Job Hunting Advice Needed

As noted upthread, two weeks is the norm, but don’t be surprised if you are asked to leave and not return either right away or by COB (but almost always getting paid anyway, otherwise you are getting fired for resigning). The new “conventional wisdom” seems to be that you don’t want someone around who is on a short clock and may feel like settling some scores (at worst), goldbricking, or passing out Cheetos in swim trunks their way out (great story). But a lot of that is the level of trust you have with management.

EDIT: woops, you are out the door already. Tortilla, I liked suggestion #2, will have to remember that one.

Well It has been 5 months since I was put on gardening leave. I have now started actively looking and had a few interests and have recently been shortlisted for a couple of jobs and am waiting for more information.

On a personal level I am finding it really difficult. My wife is back at work and the kids are at school and I am finding it quite lonely at times. I have done a massive amount of jobs around the house and what few I have left I am finding it difficult to motivate myself to do it’s almost like doing it for the sake of doing it.

It’s seems strange as money is not an issue and I always felt that would be the main thing and yet here I am struggling. I am not close to my parents or brother as they continue to lie and make stuff up and it’s something I don’t want my boys to have to deal with and I don’t have a boatload of mates and those I do have are working.

I have joined a gym and go 3 times a week, been going for nearly 3 weeks now and is going well, I need to drop 2 stone in weight and get my fitness levels up but out side this I am at a loss.

I am also learning to drive at 44 years old and this is going well, I am not far off taking my test unfortunately there is a 14 week wait so my test isn’t until December.

Really I need the challenge of work as it really makes you appreciate the other things you can do.

Frustrating at the moment.

Reemul, as someone who has been working from home – and at times, more accurately, not working from home, I feel your pain.

I would strongly recommend finding some volunteer activity that you enjoy and puts you in contact with other human beings (not so much for job networking, but for the human interaction). It’s pretty rough being alone all day with nothing you “need” to do. Going to the gym is also good. If you can, I recommend trying to do lunch with friends/colleagues a few times a week, just to keep that human interaction going.

Also, if it holds any appeal for you, figure out if there’s something you can do from home to bring in a few bucks. I used to do computer repair on the side not so much because I needed the money, but because it gave me something to do when my “real” job was extremely slow.

Thanks for this, makes sense.

14 week wait for a driving test? And I thought the DMVs in the States were bad. Anyway, Reemul, I was off for 9 months between my jobs and I know just how you feel. The good news is that once you get to working, that frustration quickly recedes like a bad dream. Best of luck, Reemul!

Over in the Games forum, there is an ongoing discussion concerning Chris Roberts, Star Citizen, Derek Smart and defamation lawsuits. The reason I reference it here is that The Escapist article that fanned the flames reminded me of a job-hunting rule I learned the hard way a long time ago: Be very, very careful about taking a job with a company that is jointly run by a husband/wife team.

I would take one in a heartbeat.

Oh, I completely understand that when you need a job, you need a job and just about every other consideration is off the table. However, if you’re fortunate enough to have a choice and you’re presented with a husband/wife team as prospective bosses, learn as much about the dynamics of their working relationship as you can before jumping in. I didn’t do that when I took a position with a consulting firm that was nominally jointly run. It turned out that the husband, who I reporting to, was the submissive beta in the relationship and handled the situation by retreating into his office and surfing the web all day. Then he would respond in passive/aggressive fashion when the wife gave me orders. I was glad when I had the chance to escape that toxic mix.

Yeah, get someone who worked for Chips&Bits or CG/S+ drunk sometime and you’ll enjoy some pretty amazing stories. :)

I ended up going straight back into ATC, but with somewhat better working conditions. If I could somehow get into perma-TRACON or even ATRCC, I’d be pretty happy, but I’m stuck with tower and it numbs my ever-loving mind. That really means that I’m still hoping to transfer or get out completely. A few of my friends managed to transfer to high-level facilities (two are going to Atlanta terminal apprch ctrl) but they’re stuck with mandatory 6/1s on a 2 day, 2 swing, 2 grave schedule. There is no way I can fathom that being worth the money.

I’ve applied elsewhere but it’s all been pretty negative on being able to escape. I’ve been thinking about going back to school to get on a CRNA track, but I’m not sure that I want to do that this “late” in life. And I don’t really want all that debt, either.

Still, a blessing to have an employer.

Oh, it’s going to get worse at mid-tier airports now too. With my job likely going away at all of them (We got a closure date today- NATCA is running shenanigans again) , they’re going to be on the same schedule.

Well I have a job interview this week.

Started really looking 6 weeks ago and this is my first real interview.

The main issue is initially it didn’t require driving or transport and it now transpires it may require this. The interview is on Friday with an immediate job start on Monday if successful and possible. I have my driving test in 3 weeks time. While I do have a full motorbike license and could at short notice get a bike again I don’t think this is required.

So am unsure if I could miss out anyways based on this issue. If not it also adds pressure to ensure I pass my test quickly.

While the job is similar to my old one it is in a totally different business sector, moving from Documents and Finance to healthcare. The money is pretty good at $50k to start with and progression within the role as well.

It would be good to start working this side of Xmas as well.

Good luck Reemul! These things play out how they’re going to play out and there is very little you can do this close to an interview to make yourself a better catch. Well, you can get a good night’s sleep before the interview and dress nice, but you know what I mean. On some level it’s already decided. Go in and see if it meets your expectations.

Just saw this. You’ve got to be flipping kidding me. This is ridiculous. We’re down to 10,800 ctrls, 30% are eligible to retire today, and we need to be at 15,000…just fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Of all the fields that they could molest, you’d think that they’d pick this sector last…

At places like Centennial, that’s going to be really irritating. It’s just so busy and complex, don’t need more stuff to keep track of.

Good luck Reemul! Hope this is an early Christmas present for you!

Cheers,

Funny had a call this afternoon about another job offer not keen as it involves 50% sales which isn’t me, told them this but they said they are very keen and are going back to see if they can change the job specification as well.

Blimey as I typed this I just got an email saying I am being short listed for a 3rd position as well, never rains but it pours.

They’re deliberately trying to hide these facts- they’re hell bent on bum-rushing this through after they got slapped hard the last time they tried it in 2013.

Would you hate me if I told you that every time my LAWRS rolls around, I struggle with it? I don’t even like filling out a MF1M-10C. Haha. Please don’t think less of me.

So didn’t get the job, came down to m and 1 other who had more clinical experience against my financial one.

Bit gutted as though it went really well, so the search goes on.

I have to look up like 3 terms every time one of you posts about air traffic control. Weather something? Geez, you guys!