Just Lost Job - Coping/Job Hunting Advice Needed

Ugh, I’m sorry man. hugs

Sorry to hear that Reemul. I hope the search bears fruit soon.

Wendelius

The more incompetent you guys are at it, the better it is for us. The ATCs here tried to shut down the airport because they had foggy windows one time. They don’t even know how to log into the machine.

You guys have important work to do. Our job is to let you do that work instead of wasting your time doing ours. The FAA just hates us because they don’t want to be in the weather business at all. Best thing you can do is tell NATCA to not support this (they’re selling us out), and be obstinate about doing things as much as possible.

Consider it practice, a test run for the “big one” coming up.

Yeah, thanks. It went really well, feedback was good etc, just one of those things.

Well we can be good at being stubborn. ;)

I broke out my old college textbooks on “Business English,” primarily to reread the parts on how to get out of one field and into another.

I haven’t lost my job yet but have started seriously looking elsewhere. Poisonous work environment, they can’t keep any of our support staff more than a few months, the HR person is horribly incompetent - it’s ugly. Anyone want to hire an accountant in LA? :D

Actually in the middle of hiring one in NC, but I don’t think you’d find our office a significant upgrade from the above situation…

For what it’s worth, there seems to be a high demand for accountants up here in Seattle if you have commercial real estate experience. The company I work for has expanded a lot over the past year or two, and it’s been pretty difficult keeping our accounting department staffed up to match.

Heh, yeah. Facing the same thing myself. I’m a worse husband, father, and person because of my work. Went back to school online a few years ago, and about to finish in May. Can’t come soon enough. The entire industry I’m in is fucked up.

We’re pretty settled in LA now but thanks for the info! There are usually a decent number of jobs for what I’m looking for (Sr Acct/Acct Mgr), just hoping to find one close by so I can still help drop off/pick up our two girls and see the occasional recital, etc! Hiring will pick up after the holidays, just need to last another month or so. Given that one of our two AP folks is giving notice today (4th to leave in last 18 months) AND the other one is off today to job hunt, it’s going to be interesting.

Good luck, Craig & Armando! May we all end up in much better situations before too long…

Well, the impossible happened. I actually secured full-time gainful employment. The federal government no less! About a month ago, I got a call from a tech recruiting company out of North Carolina. They had stumbled across my resume and saw all the certifications I had gotten. They had a federal job in this area and wanted to know if I was interested. Of course I am! They forward me the requirements and my heart sank a bit. I’d never even heard of most of this stuff. Drew (my recruiter) wanted to go forward as he said those lists are merely “want” lists and very rarely do they get someone that has all of it. Plus, it requires a Secret security clearance and since I had that when I was in the military, I could probably get it again provided there were no legal issues since and I assured him there were not.

Fast forward a few weeks. I have filled out more questionnaires and gotten more background checks than I knew existed. They even did a check with Interpol! I passed everything and they offered me the job sight unseen. That made me VERY nervous! I had visions of showing up and looking like a total idiot on day 1.

Happily, that didn’t happen. I can’t say a lot of what I do (don’t get any crazy pictures in your head, very unglamerous) but I work with and in support of Marine reserves all over. The folks I work with are really nice and while the training leaves a bit to be desired, they are willing to bring me along slowly. I’m learning whole systems I never knew existed before. Of course the way my brain works, I’m thinking ahead a couple of years and thinking of ways to design a comprehensive training program for other new people. But first things first.

The pay is excellent with benefits. I had pretty much given up. I also can’t say this has cured my very dark mood. I spent Christmas in bed, never walked outside one time. It’s like a switch that I just can’t turn on to change my outlook. Even with things having changed so much for the better, a huge part of me still says “who cares?” It’ll all fall apart eventually anyway.

Maybe it’ll change with time. I don’t know.

Well congratulations to you, divorced. Maybe a change in location and employment status will change your point of view, I wish you luck.

Congratulations, divorced. That is a fantastic development.

Especially now that you’re back in the “have benefits” column, don’t hesitate to consider professional help for your emotional distress. Just like it’s your career to support and help others, there are really awesome folks whose job is to support and help folks dealing with issues like yours.

Nice! Such good news. I’m very pleased for you divorced.

I’m going to second the thing about using the benefits to get someone professional help. If you do a web search for stressful life events, I think you’ll find that you’re tackling the top two or three most stressful events a person can experience all at the same time – new job, loss of relationship, change of living situation. It’s a lot, so no wonder you find yourself in bed all day.

Good luck with the new job. I’m glad you found something decent. You’re a boss and you deserve it.

Where are you in NC? Guessing Triangle.

Right now I’m looking up airport jobs before mine goes, whenever it does.

I’m not in NC, the recruiter that found me is. I believe they are in Raleigh. Company name is APEX Systems.

Congratulations!

I think I did some email back-and-forth with them when I was looking in this area (or someone with a very similar name). Small world!

In any case, just happened to notice this thread had been updated, and I’m so glad to read your good news, divorced. Here’s to hoping life continues to improve for you. It won’t be an instantaneous thing, no, but I think this is a fantastic first step in a great direction. Best of luck :)

WOOHOOO!!! Congrats Divorced!!!