Just Lost Job - Coping/Job Hunting Advice Needed

Congrats Divorced! That’s awesome!

Just came here to find Divorced’s post! That’s AWESOME! So happy for you. Never give up, never surrender, to keep things on a nerdy note.

I know a lot of chaos led up to this, but hopefully it’s just the start of a turn for the positive. Tim gave you some great advice upstream – you should see if you can talk to a counselor to help deal with the depression. (Not even necessarily clinical – the stress and upheavals you’ve undergone would tax anyone!)

Let’s get you to an attitude point where you want to ask Tom to change your username. :)

Yep, congratulations! I hope everything at the new place really works out for you.

Congrats divorced – that’s fantastic news!

Congrats on the new job! It’s always fun to come into this thread to read about someone landing a job versus losing one.

Congrats on the job! Try and build on the positive momentum, small steps of cooking veggies and getting outside do wonders for me.

Well I have a job offer to start on 8th of Feb. it is 30% less than my last job but I have accepted it for now. I also have a job interview tomorrow which is for double my old salary.

They rang late yesterday and asked if I could interview 11am Wednesday and where. At the time I was in the car on the school pick up run and they said they would email the details through as well. As yet no email and am unsure whether to ring and check or just turn up for the 11am interview.

For something like that, I would call. The extra info might be helpful in the interview. But congrats on getting the interview. You can’t really make a bad choice.

Thanks, I have called, I know where to go and park now. Also had a 3rd interview offer which I will confirm on Friday if I don’t get anywhere with this job. It’s like buses, none for ages then loads.

Last Friday they had the death panel for my job. Apparently everyone in attendance was opposed to it, but the FAA is going to say no objections because they adjusted the criteria to where objections were impossible.

Sigh, still looking for work and running low on savings. If you know of a community management/social media position at your company or writing/editing (or maybe photography), let me know!

— Alan

We’re (my company, not the royal we) looking for a skilled Javascript/HTML/CSS/etc contractor who can help us take our antiquated (YUI 2.0, wtf) web interface into the 90s and beyond. I’d prefer someone in Seattle that I can browbeat into compliance personally, but any port in a storm and so forth.

If you’re interested, or know someone who might be, please let me know. It’s a gap in our collective skill set.

Are you looking for a web developer or web designer? Most of the time people don’t know (just from anecdotal experience), so if you do know, make it clear to everyone what you’re looking for. :)

Uh…someone with a sense for graphical design and layout who can write JS code to collect data from our web endpoints, present it to the user, and handle interactions such as paging, callbacks and so forth.

I’m picturing someone who’s experienced with both “friendly” user design and Angular/Kendo/something similar to make it interactive.

In my experience those are two very different skillsets and finding someone to do both is rare (but entirely possible, of course). But my experience is pretty limited… I do know there are a lot of consultants who make that their bread and butter, but I’m guessing they are pricey fellows.

If you’re in the process of interviewing, here’s a tip on something that really impressed us with a candidate this week.

We’re doing quite a bit of interviewing and have already found and hired a couple of good younger people (looking for chemists/product development folks) with 1-5 years experience and two really good very experienced people (25 years experience with a couple of large global companies.)

This week we interviewed 3 younger people. All three actually did their homework on our company, had studied our website and knew our company history, product lines, etc. But one person went an extra step I don’t remember many candidates doing: She actually did her research into who our customers are. She asked us about some of our specific customers in the ag/construction industry (e.g. Catepillar, John Deere, CnH, etc.) as well as other markets in which we are players. And they weren’t just show off/“See, I did my homework!” questions - they were the kind of questions we ask ourselves. For example, with the really big downturn in the ag equipment market, she asked if we were having to shift our development portfolio from performance emphasis to cost savings emphasis.

I think/hope most people understand when they are interviewing it’s a competition between you and the other candidates and know that doing your homework on the company with which you are interviewing is a must-do. But perhaps doing your homework on the company’s customers and how that is creating challenges/opportunities may give you an additional edge.

FWIW while it’s fresh on my mind!

and to those who’ve recently received offers - CONGRAtS!!!

I have an update.

I took a relatively low paid job for an insurance company setting them up to run paperless. After 1 week it was clear the job description was nothing like the job itself and pretty much under paid by 50%.

Anyways after 4 weeks I told them I had had enough and was not prepared to work for the money they were paying and project manage and set up and complete their project for them. I had not seen the IT manager or 2 project managers for 3 weeks and had pretty much rewritten the process and systems to improve it. They have a timescale of 12 months to implement. There initial system was going to take 4 years for me to complete. I have tweaked this system and got it down to 2 years to complete. This is scanning and processing 5 million documents all on my own.

Last week they asked if I knew anyone who could work alongside me to complete the job. I recommended a work colleague with 12 years experience who we could bring in with zero training and help. They interviewed him yesterday and offered him minimum wage which was less than me for the same job so he told them to get lost.

Today I met my line manager who said they won’t pay me anymore either so I said I would quit tomorrow. The MD turned up and said it was a cluster fuck and he would negotiate. He has offered a 30% pay increase in 3 months and a 6 month review. I have said no. A 30% increase now and a 6 month review with a view to another £5k and he is coming back tomorrow with another offer.

I have also negotiated more money for my guy and a 3 month review for more money but it really has turned in to a pain in the arse.

The amazing thing is how the directors have no idea on this project and just plucked figures and cost out of thin air. To get a company in to do this job it would cost around £400,000 and take 6 months and they wanted me to do it in 1 year for £20k. When I asked how they came out with the timescales and figures no one would say.

So either I get a decent pay rise tomorrow or I am back looking for work.

Good luck, Reemul! I hope they see reason.

It sounds like they just want a kid to sit in a room and scan all their documents and stick them in server folders.

Yeah that’s what they did, without any thought on software, hardware, process or need.

We are talking 5 million pages worth of docs, split down in to 15,000 clients all needing individual naming conventions, Document Management software as well as the teams themselves moving to a paperless process at the same time.

Piece of piss for an office boy to do, hence the large cost for a Document Management company to process.

That’s excluding the 21 million archive docs they were looking at doing next. Clueless really.