Just Say No To Ziplock

WTF. this law is stupid.

Spoken like a man who’s never played Arkham Horror.

Great. Now how will I keep my various powdered sugars separate from each other. Please, won’t someone think of the cooks?

I use these “Snack Bags”, as Glad labels them, all the time for the eponymous purpose. I load them with almonds or Hershey’s Kisses and carry them in my school bag for snacks between classes.

I never realized my snack bags were really “crack” bags. Thank goodness the city of Chicago is around to inform me.

You can use them for tiny screws and washers and crap.

Or Barbie’s Bag Lunch.

The aqueducts?

This opens up the path to a black market trade in small re-sealable baggies. Psst! Hey buddy, want to buy some bags?

• Alan

I’ve used them for medicines I was supposed to take during the day and needed to carry in a pocket. The plastic holders take up too much space.

People find useful uses for useful things.

Criminalizing them is stupid.

I use them to store my half-inch plastic baggies.

And it’s safe to walk the streets at night. But what else?

H.

This came up in DC, too. There were some convenience stores selling them at a price that really only made sense if you were going to use them to sell drugs, like a buck each or something.

I’m sure the drug dealers are going to be grateful now because they’ll realize the savings and convenience available through online bulk ordering.

http://www.customzip.com/polypro/zip-lock_plain.html

Everybody knows that’s a front by the FBI to catch drug dealers.

The government’s war against freshness [i][b]RAGES ON![/b][/i]

ON A SWELTERING July afternoon in 2007, Officer Jeffrey Cujdik and his narcotics squad members raided an Olney tobacco shop.

Then, with guns drawn, they did something bizarre: They smashed two surveillance cameras with a metal rod, said store owners David and Eunice Nam.

The five plainclothes officers yanked camera wires from the ceiling. They forced the slight, frail Korean couple to the vinyl floor and cuffed them with plastic wrist ties.

“I so scared,” said Eunice Nam, 56. “We were on floor. Handcuffs on me. I so, so scared, I wet my pants.”

The officers rifled through drawers, dumped cigarette cartons on the floor and took cash from the registers. Then they hauled the Nams to jail.

The Nams were arrested for selling tiny ziplock bags that police consider drug paraphernalia, but which the couple described as tobacco pouches.

When they later unlocked their store, the Nams allege, they discovered that a case of lighter fluid and handfuls of Zippo lighters were missing. The police said they seized $2,573 in the raid. The Nams say they actually had between $3,800 and $4,000 in the store.

The Nams’ story is strikingly similar to those told by other mom-and-pop store owners, from Dominicans in Hunting Park to Jordanians in South Philadelphia.

I’m sure any number of right-thinking citizens will arrive shortly to tell us how this is totally reasonable and totally not fascist.

Let’s hope some other store owners take a lesson from this and buy one or two tiny spy-cams that record to a separate source, so they can get footage of these scumbags robbing and vandalizing their stores, if that’s what’s actually happening.

Will the extra 2 cents a bag that the dealers have to spend on larger bags put them out of business?

Are you sure this isn’t just a joke? I mean this can’t be serious. This is the conclusion to some horrible slippery slope, the kind of thing that you use to make fun of libertarians, not to be made fun of BY libertarians. I can’t even click on the original article. Is the link wrong, or did they get rid of the story because it was so silly?

The Philadelphia Daily News article shows up fine for me, and doesn’t look like a joke at all. They do speculate that this is one group of rogue cops that have set up their nice little robber gang.