Just the games, ma'am

The Poweruser.TV podcast I’ve been doing has been split off into a separate tech section and games section. You can go here to get the games section, in which I sort of hold forth about the latest shooters and strategy games. As if you haven’t had enough of that on the forum…

While I don’t want to be the advocate of the 30-second sound bite, I was only able to get through about 10 minutes of episode13final.mp3 before I moved on. I don’t read blogs (and I am quite frankly astonished at their popularity) because I was already awash in information and analysis before them, and I don’t listen to podcasts for pretty much the same reason. It’s at the point that the old meta-news sites like BluesNews are not meta enough, and now I just click on GameTab. Who has the time to consume all this media?

I think I would listen to something like this more if the host used a little more whip 'n chair and didn’t just laugh amiably at every meandering quip. Y’know, a sort of McGlaughlin group of game discussion where she barks out some outrageous statement about Civ 4 and ATI drivers and demands that Tom Chick, the Eleanor Clift of gaming, respond. Either make it shorter and tighter, or if there is a set amount of time that has to be filled, I think the host needs to herd you cats along a little more.

No offense to Tom, but well, I stopped listening to the PowerUser.TV podcast because it was just kinda boring in general. I’m listening to This Week in Tech, and that’s pretty good. They had Larry Lessig and other “luminaries”, and they make fun of John Dvorak, so it’s all good.

I like VideoGameNewsRadio, because they don’t take it seriously. I don’t think I could listen to a podcast that took games seriously. But to each his own – I’m sure that there are people who think that VGNRadio is juvenile and lame with hosts that can barely be bothered. :lol:

I started listening to the Poweruser episodes but unfortunately have to agree - it was just too long. Like most podcasts out there it needs some serious editing. Or at least stop the host from going on and on and on …

Something that can be streamed or d/l?

VGN episodes can be downloaded here http://gaming-news.info/modules/mydownloads/ or you can subscribe to their podcasting feed.

I’d say the opposite - I find it’s one of the few I don’t switch off after a few minutes. I like the mix of tech and games and the style it’s presented in, even if there’s nothing actually new in it for me.

WRONG!!!

Y’know, a sort of McGlaughlin group of game discussion where she barks out some outrageous statement about Civ 4 and ATI drivers and demands that Tom Chick, the Eleanor Clift of gaming, respond.

This is the best idea ever.

You mean like this?

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/index.html?video_key=9041

–Dave

I enjoyed the game segment, but there are many better tech-commentary podcasts.

Lets hear it for Shecky Wardell…

WRONG!!![/quote]

YOU’RE ALL AFTER TOM AND HIS MAGIC BAG!!!

WRONG!!![/quote]

YOU’RE ALL AFTER TOM AND HIS MAGIC BAG!!!

WRONG!!![/quote]

YOU’RE ALL AFTER TOM AND HIS MAGIC BAG!!![/quote]
That’s one of my favorite SNL skits of all time.