Just when you though it was safe to ignore collectible card games, Mythgard shows up [review]

QT3 tournament when?

When the waters become troubled. It is prophesied that the air above them will draw back, afraid. Troubled. Perhaps scored from the assault. Then will the Titans rise from the waters, and reach up to the skies. This will signal the end times. Those of man who doubted will become believers. Some, who are so very wrong will become Beliebers. They will perish. No really, they are screwed. Who likes Justin these days.

Anyway. Lots of symbols and signs. Cows and shit.

After that?

Who knows? Why did you read this michegoss?

I assume this game isn’t asynchronous? If it isn’t, then there will never be a league for it run by me. I tried with Hearthstone and it was no bueno.

If I don’t end up garding any myths I am going to be sorely disappointed.

You don’t get it, you are the myth, and you are gardening.

Ugh, relentless vocal fry. Now I remember why I uninstalled this during the tutorial.

I can’t believe no one has asked this yet:

Will the maze of maize amaze me this May?

Maybe.

Excellent!

The review certainly makes it sound great, but I just… I can’t. I’ve spent enough time with paper crack already. And for me, paper crack is one of those, go big or go home, and I can’t go big, not anymore.

Damn you @tomchick! The last thing I need is another CCG addiction.

Boy, you weren’t kidding how similar this feels to Magic: The Gathering, and par for the course, every CCG to come after it is superior in everyway. Thanks mana stall/overload with the top-decking bullshit and zero draw power. I’ve been only playing Netrunner for the last 5 years but I just spent the whole day messing with this game.

Just turn the sound off. I didn’t even know there was voice acting.

Spoken like someone who has never played Spellfire. :P
(Mostly I agree though.)

One thing I do like that Magic does, and Garfield kept around in Netrunner, but a lot of CCG seem to drop, is resource acceleration.

It avoids the feeling that you’re stuck in tightly controlled stages of the game.

I think having resource acceleration is fine, what’s generally counterproductive is having dedicated cards for all of your resource generation. Netrunner, you can spend actions for money, always. So you can (and probably should) include cards that accelerate that production somehow, but you don’t have to have 40+% of your deck tied up in nothing but.

Generally, you want to be playing cards/making runs and not clicking for credits. There are lots of other cards you need in Netrunner on both sides so an economy package is usually around 20%. That’s only 10 cards out of a 50 card deck. (Corp usually has 49 cards vs the Runners 45/40)

Sure, I’m saying unlike Magic, where you need a big ol’ pile of lands to clog up your deck and constantly lead to unsatisfying games.

I too am weary of head-to-head CCGs, but the lanes concept intrigues me. (I enjoyed deploying troops to different planets in the Warhammer Conquest card game.) I’ll check this one out!

Correction:
“it’s [sic] release in September”

The density of ccg lingo in this thread makes me realize once again that I will never love deck building. The theming here sounds really cool. But I just can’t make myself carve out time or brain space for it. :(

I resemble this remark. So I figured, why wait? Installed Mythguard and played through the intro campaign chapter, and did some AI games. Initial impressions:

• I like that there’s no land (or power or whatever) cards. Worst part of MTG, getting mana-screwed.
  • The lane mechanic, which not original, isn’t something you see often enough in these games. Adds tactical decisions.
  • I’m not so happy with the variety of factions. Six different factions, plus there are cross-faction cards. Complexity is a cost in these games, particularly in limited formats where you’re trying to assemble something workable from whatever is thrown at you. They’ve clearly tried to mitigate this, with the ability to boost/cull faction types while drafting, but I’m not yet convinced.
  • There are some things that don’t get explained well in the tutorial/campaign. Energy, for instance. And durability on artifacts. But I’ve largely been able to figure it out based on the tooltips, so kudos on the UI design.
  • I appreciate the theming that Tom was so excited about, but I don’t think this is a Mythgard exclusive. I’d put Eternal, and maybe even Legends of Runeterra, on the same level as far as fitting cards into their lore. I suspect Tom’s excitement comes largely from the fact that the lore resembles Shadowrun, rather than the more standard high fantasy genre.

In any event, I’ll probably play around with it a while longer. Friend “ineffablebob” and/or hit me on Discord if you want to play.