Justice Dept. won't share data cuz "computer will crash

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBDP9DE2WD.html

The Bush administration is offering a novel reason for denying a request seeking the Justice Department’s database on foreign lobbyists: Copying the information would bring down the computer system.

“Implementing such a request risks a crash that cannot be fixed and could result in a major loss of data, which would be devastating,” wrote Thomas J. McIntyre, chief in the Justice Department’s office for information requests.

Advocates for open government said the government’s assertion that it could not copy data from its computers was unprecedented but representative of generally negative responses to Freedom of Information Act requests.

This was a new one on us. We weren’t aware there were databases that could be destroyed just by copying them,” Bob Williams of the Center for Public Integrity said Tuesday. The watchdog group in Washington made the request in January. He said the group expects to appeal the Justice Department’s decision.

Yes, they really do think we are all this stupid.

Now that’s an IT dept I could only hope to work for.

Yah know, where copying files is called implementing a request.

This is like AT&T’s reasoning for not opening up their networks back in the 70s. Allowing people to use the network, could cause irreparable harm to the network.

The file system their using is probably written in a language that nobody understands anymore, and they don’t have the funding to update it. Or they could be assholes.

And a slight nit pick, if you quote an article and then add emphasis to certain phrases, it’s usually appropriate to say “emphasis mine”

Take it up with my editor. :lol:

Lou Gosset Jr. was terrible in that movie.

Lou Gosset Jr. was terrible in that movie.[/quote]

oh yeah? well, mickey mouse sucks!

Lovely Wendie99