Justice League - DC and Warner Bros' superpowered team-up movie

The internet, of course.

Hmmm. Not sure how reliable Mashable is with these things.

Multiple sources with knowledge of Warner Bros.’ plans say that as the DC Extended Universe moves forward, the Snyders will no longer have anything like the level of creative influence that got the franchise to this point.

Indeed, Zack and Deborah will be getting respective directing and producing credits on Justice League — they oversaw the bulk of production after all — and it’s still possible that they’ll carry executive producer or other types of credits for future DC films. But that involvement will be at a distance, multiple sources say, and for the time being the two are spending time with family while figuring out their next move, which is understood to include Warner Bros. films not within the DCEU.

Another person whose involvement is now in question: David Ayer, the Suicide Squad helmer, who is still listed as the director of the Harley Quinn-led spinoff Gotham City Sirens. That film was not featured in Warner Bros.’ Comic-Con sizzle reel of nine upcoming DC movies last weekend, and sources say Ayer won’t ultimately be part of their plans.

But there are other signs that he’s moving on: Ayer seemed to signal his discontent with his WB/DC experience at >his Comic-Con panel on Thursday for Bright, the fantasy buddy-cop film that Netflix gave him $90 million to make.

“I don’t think people realize the situation filmmakers face,” he said, stressing that Netflix didn’t intervene in his process — they just let him run with it. “[Bright] isn’t like, some bullshit standard issue studio PG-13 movie. I was able to do some real shit here,” said Ayer, who has directed exactly one PG-13 movie in his career: Suicide Squad.

I love it!

More mustache news!

“If we were to remove a beard [or mustache], we would have to digitally re-build the actor’s face behind the hair mass,” he said. “We would need to build a 3D model of the face and then shade the surface of the skin to look realistic. We would then need to track the 3D model to the movement of his head and potentially re-animate his mouth. The amount of lip animation would depend on how much of the original beard occluded his lips. We would need to paint out the parts of the beard that extend beyond his shaven face.”

But more relevant, at the end of the article:

However, a source who is familiar with this kind of work told Business Insider that it’s unlikely editing out Cavill’s mustache would be a huge cost, since the studio certainly has already 3D modeled his face.

As a “Hey, did you know how much work VFX can be in general?” piece this is okay, but for the specific work of taking a mustache off Henry Cavill in Justice League, I doubt it’s a particularly noteworthy endeavor in cost or difficultly given the rest of the film.

They should just use the same team that removed Ralph Fiennes’s nose for Voldemort.

Suicide Squads flaws weren’t because it was PG-13.

Seriously. Aside from the one everyone was drooling over, there was nothing really interesting or worthwhile about most those characters. The plot was pretty silly too. More blood does not fix that.

The good news is that DC/Warner Bros. can’t seem to find a director for Suicide Squad 2.

I finally got around to watching Batman vs. Superman and I enjoyed it more than I expected to given the critical and fan backlash against it. I think one thing I appreciate very much is their willingness to go for broke with the fight sequences and really tear shit up. Anytime you’ve got Superman involved, things can quickly escalate to Super Saiyan levels after all! I’m ok with them looking at the ramifications of that! I also kinda liked the Luthor character and the way they brought in Doomsday. It’s not a great film, but it’s passable, and Batfleck actually works for me, too.

With that out of the way, they’ve really screwed up by NOT using the TV Barry Allen for the films. That is not The Flash in this film. That’s a mess. The way they showed Cyborg’s origin was legit creepy but I’m not sold on his look in Justice League. There’s just no reason that they couldn’t have brought in Grant Gustin to play the character in film, too. You wouldn’t have needed the supporting cast, same as when he appears on the other shows. It’s a completely missed opportunity to get fans of one thing in to see fans of the other thing. Instead you’ve now kinda pissed off fans like me.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I assume they didn’t want to be bound by/connect the TV continuity and the movie continuity.

The film universe takes place in Metropolis and Gotham, which are apparently right across the river from one another (who knew?), and the TV universe is set in Star City and Central City. Supergirl is on a different earth with a different Superman in National City. They really wouldn’t have to connect things much at all to have used The Flash from TV. And again, I think not acknowledging TV is doing their own property a disservice. Yes, yes, DC Universe has all these alternate Earths, and this is apparently a different one, but they haven’t even acknowledged that in the films yet.

I dunno… it just seems like a total mistake to ignore that world when they have successful TV shows with good people on them who have carried these characters for years now. Fans would have cheered if Grant Gustin had appeared as The Flash in Batman vs. Superman. Instead I see some dude who just irks me and doesn’t even have the right color speed force flowing around him. I can’t eye roll hard enough…

I do agree that of all of the CW DC heroes Grant Gustin would have been the best choice to grab for the movie verse, he really nails the character of The Flash. But I also I kind of understand why they choose not to get him. If they open that door, then it’s open for all of the CW’s DC verse. And as mentioned that creates a major continuity mess. As disappointing as it is, I think they did the right thing. Plus by keeping the CW verse and the DC movieverse separate, the CW can introduce characters without the high price tag it would take to get the movie actors. Lets say that down the road they want to introduce Wonder Woman into the Supergirl series. They wont have to try to negotiate with a very hot Gal Gadot, to do so. They just wave their magic “its a different verse” wand and go for it. Disclaimer: Im not saying that WILL happen. Im pretty sure that they are going to not allow her to be portrayed in a series anytime soon.

There have been Batman references and obvs they put Superman on Supergirl. At the end of the day if they at least mention the theory of alternate Earths, I will deal. And I understand the want to avoid bringing big name actors to the small screen, but they never needed to go that route, really. Marvel has done a fine job without doing that on their various shows IMO.

Agents of SHIELD has a specific gravitas because of its Marvel Cinematic ties, however tenuous they may be. I think it’s a missed opportunity.

Let’s be realistic though, Batman is tailor made for a GREAT TV series. Detective work. Simple but exciting gadgets. Guns. Mostly practical special effects and lots of hand to hand fighting. Warner has no idea what to do with much of the various DC stuff. The TV folks have really saved their ass while these films continue to find their way.

Although OTOH the DC shows have all basically shit the bed over the last two years soooo

WB made it clear early on the movies and the TV shows exist separately. They each are there own thing. I frankly think it’s a good idea. It’s hard enough getting good moves without the massive plot issues of mashing a bunch of TV shows together. Look at the Netflix stuff . It might as well be its own world as they barely have ever acknowledged the MCU.

We’ll agree to disagree there. Arrow just had its best season, and The Flash and Supergirl were very good. I haven’t had a chance to watch Legends yet but that also looked great.

And for Jason, I think it’s fine that they don’t linger on what happens in the films. These heroes/villains exist in their own day to day lives same as they did in the books. Daredevil wasn’t globe hopping. He was dealing with the Kingpin in Hell’s Kitchen. The Punisher was street level justice dealing. Luke Cage and Iron Fist also stayed confined to their turf. It’s like I have said about Spider-Man… he always had his own problems but occasionally he’d be caught up in something bigger, and that was ok! That’s what they got right in Homecoming and it actually makes it easier for Sony to do their thing. Comics have always been a big of a walled garden all to themselves in each book.

Legends MASSIVELY improved, about the same amount that Arrow did from the season before.

I’m also chronically behind because I only watch these things on Netflix. So Arrow and Flash may in fact have improved. Legends I made it I think ten minutes into before lol nope.

Yeah, I have it all on the DVR still. I’ve been waiting til my kids are back from summer break for us to binge it. Reverse Flash alone makes it a must watch for us. I like the team, though. Looking forward to it!!

I’ve really enjoyed Supergirl Season 2 because they always go no-holds barred on the Super mayhem and anytime there’s Martian Manhunter action, I’m all for it. The guy they cast as Superman is perfect, too.