Justice Souter retiring

Justice Souter retiring

News media reports say Justice David Souter plans to retire from the Supreme Court at the end of the court’s term in June.

Speculation that the 69-year-old justice will be stepping down has been fueled by his failure to appoint law clerks from the fall term.

National Public Radio is reporting that Souter has informed the White House of his intentions and will remain on the bench until a successor is confirmed.

Is there a legal restriction on how old they have to be? Getting a 18 year old stoner through would be awesome.

Jesus dude, you should write a script.

No - but with no term limits, if you appoint a 18 year old you’re concievable going to impact legal decisions for the next 60 years or so.

And the first 5 years of them would be AWESOME.

In other words it would be just like this only with the highest court in the land?

Dude! Movie title!

Too long. Let’s go with High Court. Here are some other notes, mostly on the cast:

Seth Rogen
Jack Black
Dave Chappelle
Both dudes from the Harold and Kumar movies (Kal Penn will need to take leave from the White House)
Jonah Hill
Michael Cera
Paul Rudd
Jason Segel
Katherine Heigl
Leslie Mann
Ellen Page
Jason Bateman

I smell a HIT, people!

Okay, on a serious note. Prognosticators seem to think Obama is likely to nominate a woman to the court, but personally I would love to him him nominate Deval Patrick, who fits pretty much perfectly with the justice Obama described during his campaign.

Anyone else want to propose any nominees?

Alan Dershowitz?

I don’t know.

MICHELLE BACHMAN!

Hillary Clinton.

This guy

I can’t top Jerri’s title.

Based on the way oral arguments went for that strip-search the high-school girl for ibuprofen case they definitely need another woman on the court.

Seems like the Republicans will have to go along with the nominee, because Specter’s switch removes him as a Republican on the committee.

Well, the entire Republican party combined could filibuster a potential nominee, but it shouldn’t be an issue. Souter was one of the “liberal” justices, so there’s no change to the court if another “liberal” justice goes up in his place. I mean, there’s a reason Souter’s retiring now.

I actually kind of hope this blows up into a big slapfight. Maybe somebody could use a racial epithet at somebody else. Anything to get swine flu out of the news.

I think it’s pretty clear we need to replace Souter with Judge Floro!

Who are you to wave your Con-sti-tu-tion at me?
You must… have been… out of your mind!

This was coming from a while back. Obama may be replacing upwards of three of the liberal judges (net no effect) and maybe a bonus conservative that steps off a curb at the wrong time. So there should be plenty of opportunities to spread around a few minority, female and maybe even another white guy appointments. Republicans will probably get a taste of their own recent medicine with any nominee being close to 50 at the oldest.

Definitely, I cannot imagine Sony Pictures not optioning this for their slate of direct-to-DVD titles. Maybe QT3 should collaborate on this.

INT. SPRING HEIGHTS COMMUNITY COLLEGE AUDITORIUM

We zoom in from the back of the auditorium to see Max Stockfield, a middle-aged Blue Dog Democrat up for re-election, taking questions from students who feel newly empowered in the Obama era.

STUDENT
What the fuck is the deal with the Supreme Court? I mean the motherfuckers there are older and whiter than the Pope? Why can’t a young person be on the Court?