Justified on FX: Modern day Deadwood [fingers crossed]

I have to admit I liked the exploding cigarettes. It felt like something a Batman villain would do.

It’s a good callback to the fact that Boyd has excellent bomb making skills. It feels like forever since they brought that up.

That’s exactly what I thought when it happened. I looked at my wife and said something about being glad they remembered that part of his background after so long.

The visual effects on the bomb need to be called out, they were really well done. It took me almost as completely by surprise as the target!

I love that scene, because it took me by surprise. I was expecting some clever choice of words and deal making by Boyd to get him out of the situation. Somehow he would favorably affect the woman who was evaluating him, etc.

Instead, he says, “Fuck it, I’ll just blow the guy up.” :)

But what about the plug of plastic explosive Boyd was contemplating in the backroom of his bar? It had some wires coming out of it and everything.

Excellent effects, agreed. Nice Breaking Bad vibe.

Ah. I either did not see that or if I did, I did not recognize what it was.

Had to watch that scene a few times, so awesome. Boyd has been getting screwed over so much this season, nice to see him turning it around.

Quick question: given that Boyd (and the others) were taken into custody by the Marshalls, did they just completely miss that he was carrying a bomb concealed in a pack of cigarettes? I assume if they put it through a metal detector it would have set off all kinds of alarms!

It looked like a pack of cigarettes, why would they think twice about it? Even if they did, it wasn’t a ball bearing bomb or something of the sort.

Walton Goggins is the best at delivering those lines: “I guess they take that no-smoking policy pretty seriously here!” (or whatever the words were)

Goggins looks like a 4th grader could take him…but damn does he know how to deliver a line.

Just started watching this season. I think I’m about to start episode 4. For some reason, my DVR decided that “record the whole series” meant “but just the first 21 minutes of episode 1”, so I’m a little behind on all of the things that went down there. I can guess at most of them.

So far I am really enjoying the season. I didn’t recognize Edi Gathegi at first (I guess he survived turning into a statue or whatever back in the 60s). I’m not a big Michael Rapaport fan, but I really like him so far as Darryl. Also, “skimming” 75-83% of the profits takes some serious balls.

If we’re talking about what happened during Dewey’s tenure as head of the brothel…well, it’s Dewey. The man thought he had 4 or 5 kidney’s at one point. :)

The end of the last episode took me by surprise. I didn’t think Raylen would ever do something like that. At least not without his immediate family being in imminent danger. He essentially destroyed a 14 year old boy’s life for what is really just a grudge. One heightened by Art’s shooting, yes. But he and Art were on the outs. At least enough so that he wouldn’t be doing something like this normally.

And yeah, not a Rappaport fan here either. But he is doing a good job on this show.

Well his plan is to ultimately get the boy off for the charges entirely. He’s trying to squeeze the Crowes so he can pin it to Daryl Jr. Though he is taking a big risk as he admits to the judge it’s only got a 50/50 chance of working. So he’s either going to save it or ruin it.

If it falls into the failure portion of the 50 percent chance, I’m guessing it’s going to haunt Raylen.

Well, one episode left this season. Predictions?

— Alan

Any result that doesn’t end with Daryl Crowe in a body bag will be disappointing to me. However, they best not murderize Dewey. The man’s a goddamn national treasure.

“Don’t talk about yourself in the third person Dewey – It makes you sound like an idiot.”

“Third person? What, do you mean this guy?” [Indicates driver] “Raylan, sometimes I just don’t understand you.”

That episode was just fully of wonderful Dewey-isms.

“If you’re just gonna be a minute…y’mind if I come in and take a shit?”

Or “The anus is on you.”

Or “You know I’ll shoot you, Darryl. Like I shot Wade Messer. I did that. Me, Dewey Crowe.”