Justified on FX: Modern day Deadwood [fingers crossed]

I’m not 100%, honestly, so I figured I’d try a different approach than just moving on from the pilot.

It’s a very ‘manly’ show to begin with. If big swinging dicks are not her thing then she may never like it. Maybe once Margo Martingale joins the fray?

This is true, to be honest. Ava doesn’t come into her own really until after jail, I think. Rachel never, ever gets the screentime she deserves, and Winona never stops being annoying.

Good luck to you, I tried and wasn’t able to get my wife into it. This was on a trip where I brought nothing but Justified for us to watch while travelling. She chose nothing.

Daaaaaaayum. It’s not the end of the world, if she doesn’t like it, I’ll just have to do the rewatch on my own, which will be way slower. :/

I recommend jumping right into the second season with the Bennets. That’s how I first started watching and it wasn’t too hard to pick up. The S2 plotline is so captivating with great characters and the show found its rhythm by then

This is all correct, except that I found Winona to eventually stop being annoying.

S2 might be the best the show ever was, tbh. What a great season that was.

I think the plan worked though, the fiance wants to see more! She’s not fond of the personal stuff with Raylan and Ava right now though, but I told her not to worry about it, ;) I agree the Bennets are just the bestests. I love all the seasons though…well, mostly except the Crowe season, but I just mostly liked that one.

Nice!

The other thing is that the show is generally at its best when it has the maximum amount of Boyd Crowder going on. One of my absolute favorite TV characters ever.

100% agreed. Sadly the Boyd content has been at a minimum beyond a hospital visit. I know that’ll change though, can’t wait. It’s been so nice to revisit these characters, though I still pine for a Rachael and Tim spinoff. They so deserved better.

Yup. Rachel and Tim were both so great. Really liked that Tim got some more screen time as the show went on.

My still favorite scene in the entire series is how Tim explains to Raylan how he’s gonna “Go all Raylan on them.”

Jut in case anyone on this thread doesn’t already know … the new Amazon series Sneaky Pete features Jacob Pitts (Justified’s Tim) and character actress Margo Martindale (Mags Bennett.) The showrunner is Graham Yost, who also was showrunner on Justified (and wrote Speed.)

Oh shit, I need to see this like now.

I did not know that! Thanks for the heads up, I may check that out now.

Sneaky Pete was originally going to be a CBS procedural, so there’s some of that DNA in the first episode. Yost didn’t take over fully until the second episode. I’ve only seen that first one so far and it’s still decent IMO, but if you disagree it’s worth watching at least one more.

You know this show is dated when it has references to blogging. And this was season 5!

But, blogs are alive and well at Forbes.

LOL - too true. Man, I loved this show, however.

… I … I still read blogs every day (when you’re interested in subjects only old people care about, like politics or pre-1970 music, you go where the old people are.)

Since we’re necroing, Justified fans might wanna check out Hap and Leonard, originally on Sundance and now with two seasons on Netflix. It stars Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar on The Wire) and James Purefoy (immortal oligarch on Altered Carbon, though he’s totally different in this.)

It shares a bunch of characteristics with Justified - southern small town setting, based on 90s crime novels (by Joe R Lansdale, not Elmore Leonard), and lots of dry banter. Each season is six episodes, which is the right length for a mystery.