Justified on FX: Modern day Deadwood [fingers crossed]

Isn’t the whole thing based on a short story? There are multiple novels?

The first episode was based on a short story. But yes, there are multiple novels, at least one of which was written after the show took off. It’s been a while but I seem to recall the show pulled a number of characters and plot beats and such from the novels but the overall result was pretty different, not least because he isn’t based in Kentucky in the books.

This was a show that I obviously went to for Timothy Olyphant and was surprised to get Walter Goggins and a constantly evolving talented cast each season. It all wasn’t perfect, but it was consistently and for longer than I expected, a wonderful show. While I sort of wished it could have continued, it had run its course and never left me unsatisfied even in its ending.

Raylan was the perfect flawed hero in my opinion and Olyphant played it perfectly. He really ended up being a less angry, modern day version of his Deadwood character. That guy seemed like he would have gone on a rampage if someone breathed on him wrong and he played that perfectly as well.

Every interview I have seen with Olyphant, he has seemed charming and witty, but I may overlook things due to my crush on him. ;)

I liked all the Winona drama, right up until the evidence locker storyline, then she became a complete fucking retard. But except for that I enjoyed all of her and her new husband’s stories.

Yes that. That ruined Winona for me. She was mostly okay up until that. Gah, so annoying.

I suspect the asshole on the show people are thinking of is Nick Searcy, who played Raylan’s boss. That guy hangs out with Adam Baldwin and is a real jerk.

Oh no, I heard he was wingnut but Adam Baldwin? Fuck.

Best I can tell Baldwin used to be okay but has gotten wingnutted in more recent times.

Nope, been like that for years. I met him a decade or so ago, and he was so nice in person. He joined Twitter soon thereafter and I followed and then unfollowed him within the same day.

When I say used to be I mean like 15 years ago in the Firefly days.

Ohhhh, then yes.

Now you know how the rest of us feel when we make the mistake of following a hollywood “star”. Baldwin actually seems like a nice guy, but he’s conservative and people just like echo chambers these days. Searcy, on the other hand, seems like a really aggressive jerk.

There’s conservative, and then there’s stupid. Baldwin said this in opposition to gay marriage: “‘What’s wrong, now, with a father marrying his son for love & to avoid tax penalties?”

He’s apparently an anti-vaxxer too. Joss Whedon on Baldwin: “He very sweetly begged me not to vaccinate my children. He gave me books on the subject.”

Baldwin and Searcy both harassed McMaster on Twitter a while back over something or other, which is how I learned they were jerks.

Well, he’s very socially conservative, so I’m not surprised he’s against gay marriage. Hell, Obama and Clinton were until a couple of years ago. Don’t know anything about whether he’s anti-vaccines, but I wouldn’t hold out Joss Whedon as a character reference on sanity or appropriate behavior.

Didn’t know about McMaster. That definitely sounds like something Searcy would do. He really is aggressive. Have never seen Baldwin do anything but counterpunch, but missed that exchange and can’t imagine Jason warranting anything nasty.

My point wasn’t that it’s this horrible thing to be against gay marriage. I have a tiny bit of sympathy for people being against it for religious beliefs. But that’s not what he used as an example. He reached deep into his bag of stupidity to pull out this idea that if gay marriage were legalized, a father might marry his son for tax reasons! Is that a reason to oppose gay marriage? What about a father marrying a daughter? Perfectly cool with Baldwin?

Be conservative, but at least be intelligent about it. For example, economic conservatives should have been against the tax cuts without more budget cuts to offset the revenue loss. There was no outcry whatsoever.

There are intelligent conservatives, now a minority, sadly, and right-wing nuts.

Just lol at thinking most of their viewpoints are not for their personal convenience.

We believe in a righteous, just, Christian America. Let’s elect someone who boasts of banging married women.

We follow Jesus. We believe in his teachings. Fuck the poor, let’s cut taxes on the wealthy and fuck welfare programs, the military needs more money.

Political views on both sides have long been matters of personal convenience hidden as morality, but now they’re just barely even pretending it is anything other than that. Pretty soon, we’ll all be paying subscription fees to Amazon for the right to access clean air.

That’s overly cynical. There are plenty of moral people in the world, who are at least largely faithful to whatever moral code or religion they’ve adopted. Other than politicians.

So uh, political crap aside for a moment…I’ve just started watching this show over the last week or two, and I’m almost done with season 2.

Does it stay mostly this good???

It’s very solid throughout, quality wise, IMO. It’s worth watching.