Kaby Lake System Build

m.2 slot. You’d want an m.2 slot capable of pcie 3.0x4. It is nice and fast. I have one in my system for work.

It fits into a M.2 slot. Look at the photo above, just below the white “Samsung” brand. You can see the small connector. The M.2 drive lies flat in parallel to the motherboard.

Wow, I had no idea.

WIth these M.2 drives, technically we don’t need huge tower cases anymore and can have a much smaller PC box. I look forward to a future of a case as small as a PSU!

But then where do we put the PSU?

You don’t need one, in the future, that is… and it’s not that far fetched actually. A case as small as a PSU is probably half the size of PS4 today, isn’t it?

Sometimes I imagine plugging my phone into a kb & monitor and doing some gaming!

You could probably do it now with something like an Intel NUC, and an external gpu enclosure.

Well yeah that’s what this is about… assuming you want a case optimized for exactly the minimum size of ITX, SFX, and a GPU the DAN A4-SFX is basically the holy grail. It works. It’s very nice.

whoa! if I didn’t just upgraded my PC with the Fractal Design case, I would have gotten this. That’s like a dream come true! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully in my next upgrade I can ditch tower case for good!

I just ordered the Fractal Define Meshify yesterday, finally a case without an optical drive. I would’ve ordered the Meshify Mini, but it’s not available in my country. Slowly but surely some day I’ll have an ITX case.

Good choice. And I went to their website and they do have a mini ITX case, Core 500. Really, really nice!

This new case from Streamcom is interesting (even if it looks like a shrunken PowerMac G5 fascia) – flexible water cooling potential with a novel erector-set mounting mechanism:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12806/streacom-da2-small-form-factor-big-possibilities

I’ve been thinking about doing a HTPC build in the Fractal Node 202. Right now I just have a little Asus Chromebox running Linux with 4GB RAM and a 120GB SSD for all my home server stuff, pi-hole, monitoring, etc. It has a Haswell Celeron so it’s actually not terribly slow, but I’d like to get an 8-core Ryzen and Proxmox to virtualize everything for easy management. And as a cool project.

But as always with me, what I have still works just fine, and I find it impossible to replace something that still works. The instant it shows signs of breaking or not serving my needs I would spend the two grand in a millisecond and have fun with the project, but until then, can’t do it. Also, DDR4 prices, screw that.

I’ve been looking at the Ryzen 7 2700X , but I will probably just wait till next year and their Zen2 offerings.