Kansas is on the Laugher Curve...

I think that there are examples of states where no income tax works, aren’t there?

Like Washington State is generally functional, despite not having personal or corporate income taxes, isn’t it?

They have other taxes, like a business tax based on how big your business is.

Nevada has no income tax, but a not small percentage of revenue is gaming taxes:

Though probably not the most expensive state to run.

I’d say Texas, but I’m not sure that counts as “functional” at the end of the day.

I mean, yeah, Washington State functions, but sales tax-only is also very regressive and hits those making the least the most.

But Washington State has other taxes, don’t they?

Texas is all sales and property taxes, but both are pretty significant percentages.

Also, ask a Texan about their Property Taxes someday…

yeah, of course there are other taxes. But no income tax. But seriously, just Google ‘Washington state regressive taxes’, and you’ll come up with a whole host of articles, every few months/years, going back a decade or more. Our taxes are the most regressive in the nation, no matter how you slice it.

Which makes residents of Clark County a very interesting lot. Since Vancouver is just across the river from Oregon which has higher income, but no sales tax. They can either be very lucky, or very screwed depending on where they live and work.

Maybe so, but Texas is right up there:

According to ITEP’s Tax Inequality Index, which measures the impact of each state’s tax system on income inequality, Texas has the 2nd most unfair state and local tax system in the country. Incomes are more unequal in Texas after state and local taxes are collected than before

Texas also kneecaps its property taxes…

One place the legislature could look to begin balancing the budget is the Texas Economic Development Act, better known as Texas Tax Code Chapter 313.

Chapter 313 is a state program offered to businesses that allow them to strike a deal with school districts to pay less in property taxes in order to incentivize those businesses to come to Texas.

Corporations form 10-year agreements with school districts to devalue the property they plan to move to. The lost revenue from the devalued property is then paid out of pocket by the state.

One of the latest winners behind the program is Tesla, who struck a deal last year to move to Austin. Their agreement with Del Valle Independent School District will see Tesla’s $1.1 billion property valuation capped to $80 million — a 93 percent devaluation whose cost will fall on Texas taxpayers.

There is no revenue plan here. The plan is to cash out and leave the mess for someone else:

The article also notes this is on the back of massive income tax cuts last year which - surprise! - did not have the effect they’re claiming a complete removal of income tax would.

Yeah, but (at least most of) Texas wears its Conservative bonafides right on its sleeve, and a central tenet of that is, of course, ‘Fuck the Poor, I Got Mine’. Washington likes to talk a big game about how Progressive we are, but somehow we just can’t seem to come in anywhere but last on the goddamn list.