Karma in action

Sadly, that presumes he thought once.

FLORIDA.

Not Toronto.

Toronto kids are plenty stupid - in fact, Canadians like to think of the city as the home of the missing link between Americans and Canadians - but while they might JUMP between buildings, they don’t sue. Yet.

FLORIDA.

Not Toronto.

Toronto kids are plenty stupid - in fact, Canadians like to think of the city as the home of the missing link between Americans and Canadians - but while they might JUMP between buildings, they don’t sue. Yet.[/quote]

Did the kid die?

Jeez, you’d think that “kids doing stupid & dangerous things” was a new invention.

The kids jumping from garage to garage was in Orlando.

Sinbad (comedian) talked about playing “jump in front of the car” games when he was growing up.

We had full tackle football without pads. And then there was a game called wallball, which if you didn’t catch the ball, you got to bend over in front of the wall while someone beaned you with it. Good times.

Wherever there’s bored teens, there’s dangerous shit happening. This ain’t new.

No. It’s far from new. I recall running across a freeway to get from one side to the other, and then coming back again. Dangerous? Yes. Stupid? Yes. But if I had been maimed or killed because of this, my parents would have blamed me, rather than suing the government for not putting up signs warning that running across freeways is dangerous.

“Wall ball?” It was called “Butt’s Up!” in my (apparently gay) neck of the woods (Las Vegas). I imagine that game’s been outlawed for quite some time now, along with dodgeball.

We called it both depending on if there were any teachers around.

It was Butts Up in San Francisco (perhaps not surprisingly). It wasn’t until fairly recently that I found out my friends knew it as Smear the Queer, which obviously wasn’t going to fly in SF.

We called it RED ASS. You miss the ball six times and you get the ball whips at your ass by all who are playing.

I’m tempted to say “only if there is a God”, but then again, if he dies, he won’t be a living, mutilated example to future generations of morons. On the other hand, he will, presumably, beget his own morons.

Hence, no matter what, there is no God.

We called it RED ASS. You miss the ball six times and you get the ball whips at your ass by all who are playing.[/quote]

Pssh. When I was a kid, if you missed the ball, you had to stand with your back against the wall and not move, and they could throw the ball at whatever part of you they wanted.

“Wall ball?” It was called “Butt’s Up!” in my (apparently gay) neck of the woods (Las Vegas). I imagine that game’s been outlawed for quite some time now, along with dodgeball.[/quote]

Yeah, Bill’s right. I remember moving through the school system with a bunch of friends and watched it get outlawed at each stop. Every time, we’d get some good dodgeball games going, then someone would get destroyed by a ball to the neck, and there would be a message over the intercom, “Dodgeball is no longer allowed at CVT Gilbert.” So we’d switch to Butts Up, and eventually someone would trip over a thrown ball and turn their elbows and palms into pink hamburger with specks of black asphalt … “Butts Up is no longer allowed at CVT Gilbert.”

FWIW, “Smear the Queer” was a combination of tackle football and rugby. One guy would have the ball and try to outrun, overpower, and evade everyone for as long as he could. Once he was brought down and the ball stripped from his grasp, it was the stripper’s turn.

Re: Butts Up Rules Errata

Las Vegas Style!

If you attempted to catch the ball and failed OR if someone bounced the ball off the wall and it touched you on the way back, you had to make it to the wall before someone else could pick up the ball and:

a.) hit the wall before you got there.
b.) tag you with the ball.

If a or b happened, you “assumed the position” aka “spread eagled” against the wall and the person who hit you or the wall took a free toss at you.

We called it RED ASS. You miss the ball six times and you get the ball whips at your ass by all who are playing.[/quote]

Pssh. When I was a kid, if you missed the ball, you had to stand with your back against the wall and not move, and they could throw the ball at whatever part of you they wanted.[/quote]

That was the version we played, and you got beaned if you missed it just once. None of this six-tries nonsense.

“Wall ball?” It was called “Butt’s Up!” in my (apparently gay) neck of the woods (Las Vegas). I imagine that game’s been outlawed for quite some time now, along with dodgeball.[/quote]

Yeah, Bill’s right. I remember moving through the school system with a bunch of friends and watched it get outlawed at each stop. Every time, we’d get some good dodgeball games going, then someone would get destroyed by a ball to the neck, and there would be a message over the intercom, “Dodgeball is no longer allowed at CVT Gilbert.” So we’d switch to Butts Up, and eventually someone would trip over a thrown ball and turn their elbows and palms into pink hamburger with specks of black asphalt … “Butts Up is no longer allowed at CVT Gilbert.”

FWIW, “Smear the Queer” was a combination of tackle football and rugby. One guy would have the ball and try to outrun, overpower, and evade everyone for as long as he could. Once he was brought down and the ball stripped from his grasp, it was the stripper’s turn.[/quote]

Now THAT was a fun game. Thing was, even if you gave up the ball, that didn’t mean people would get off of you. :) heh, heh, heh…

Butts Up was from the magical time when no one seemed to ever bleed from taking a ball to the head and taking one in the kidneys was followed by a pained giggle and “My turn!”. There was only one way to go too far, and that usually ended up as a “Screw you” ball on the roof and a good reason to meet the wall upright instead of bent over like the name suggests. This was because we were apparently complete psychos at my school and had the brilliant idea of using tennis balls for this kind of thing.

What the hell kind of balls were you using for dodgeball? Those rubbery Voit deals were incapable of doing any serious damage.

Jeeze, you guys make me glad I spent my childhood indoors playing D&D.

-Tom

For wallball… we were using a baseball.

I am not ashamed to admit that I chickened out at my turn at the wall.

For wallball… we were using a baseball.

I am not ashamed to admit that I chickened out at my turn at the wall.[/quote]

We used a tennis ball. I still hated that game.

I feel deprived now; I only got to play dodgeball.