Kate -- Netflix movie.

This is a whole genre, and has existed for decades.

If you’re willing to compromise on the tight outfits the earliest example I can think of is is Yes Madam from 1985. If you’re willing to compromise on the ass-kicking, there seems to be an infinite number of B movies starring supposedly badass action heroines who spend most of the movie getting captured.

I mean you might even count stuff like Lady Snowblood from 73.

See also La Femme Nikita (1990). I would not be surprised if that’s in the hopper for a film remake.

I don’t read catch-all threads.

Looking through that 15 year old CITOKSA thread, and I’m not sure if Tom was trolling when he called Aeon Flux anime.

Dude, like two posts above you.

They re-made it with Bridget Fonda as ‘Point of No Return’ in '93. Ugh.

They could re-make it again, but I’ve got to think the original holds up.

That does not seem to be a factor in the Hollywood remake business decision machine.

I don’t think we need to argue that these type of movies are new themselves, I think the gist is that there are more of them being made than there used to be?

The 2nd version of the show based on the movie, there were two, Nikita was in the process of getting rebooted about a year ago not sure if it’s still in dev or not.

Ha ha, we’re reading a thread about the movie Kate.

-Tom

Is that better or worse than actually watching the movie?

In theory the thread is better because we might save somebody from watching it?

I only watched it 2 nights ago and I’ve forgotten half of it already. So generic, its hard to believe somebody wrote it and its not the product of one of these simple online story generators. I looked up the writer, the only other thing he has credit for at the moment is Extraction (the Bruce Willis one). In hindsight, I’m surprised Bruce Willis isn’t it in. He could have done Woody Harrelson’s role in a day, it would have been perfect for him.

Yep, I noticed that myself. Like a dummy I sat through it and even enjoyed it, but I did think, "What a horrible start! She just… And then they want me to… Yikes!

I was looking for an action popcorn movie and got it.

No complaints here.

I disliked this more than I thought I would (watched it on release). Winstead was great, and I’d watch her in an action film again, but I found this movie was otherwise eye-rollingly ho-hum. Usually action films get somewhat of a pass for me because, while they can be smart, or funny, or just plain eye-popping, edge-of-your-seat, this was none of those. Pretty predictable, too.

Can’t say much else about it. Compared to other recent films in a similar genre: Jolt, which I saw on its release before Kate, was only a slight step above this one in mediocrity. Gunpowder Milkshake felt somewhat fresh and was different enough that I liked it.

Although, when I think about it, so many films that go straight to streaming seem to be forgettable. Others like 6 Underground (which was the worst), Army of the Dead, Project Power, The Tomorrow War, & Extraction all seem to target the middle-of-the-ground. I did enjoy Old Guard, though, so there’s that.

Maybe I’m just getting old and expect more from the films these days.

Imagine how cheated we’d feel having seen those movies in the theater. I mean, seriously, if I have to leave the house, pay 20 bucks, sit there with my eyes closed and my fingers in my ears during the trailers like some angry autistic child, and ask some yahoo to stop checking his text messages during the movie, I dang well better be watching something more memorable than Kate or Forever War!

-Tom

You are so right, Tom. I definitely feel better not having dropped any money on these, other than what I paid for streaming. But honestly, I haven’t set foot in a theatre since 2017 when they were pushing 3D around here to such an extent I couldn’t find a time to see a non-3D showing. Just tossed in the towel on the movie-going experience; I don’t miss the audience either.

Also, ha ha, you saw Jolt.

-Tom

Kate was a much better movie than gunpowder milkshake.

Gunpowder milkshake was trash.

Convincingly argued. I guess that settles that!

-Tom