Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise engaged after Eiffel Proposal

<barf>

Every time I try to convince myself that Hollywood can’t get any stranger another story like this one pops up. Hey we have been dating 6 weeks…let’s join a cult and get married!!! Her hotness factor has gone from a 10 to about a 2 in my books.

Who is Eiffel by the way?

I just read this and it’s really sickening. I especially cringed at the part where Cruise apparently had to ask her “Are you ok?” at some point during the media blitz. This whole story just gets creepier every day.

:roll:

Somebody got a link?

Its on the AP wire. He and Katie were on top of Eiffel tower where he made the proposal and then decended to a media blitz where folks were snapping shots of a mammoth diamond engagement ring before the two took off for a weekend in the south of France.

Link here http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/movies/AP-Cruise-Holmes.html

Why does everybody here care?

Normally we’re good about shunning celebrity news.

“Cause Katie Holmes was supposed to be my fiance!” is the most probably reason.

Keep your snobbishness to the P&R forum. Here in Everything Else we can discuss whatever we please :oops:

Just a weird little symmetry thing, but here is Katie as Michael Keaton’s daughter in last year’s First Daughter. So in one year, she goes from being Batman’s daughter to Batman’s girlfriend.

(And that’s still way less creepy than her dating/getting engaged to Mr. Scientology.)

Because a lot of people do care whether they consciously admit it or not. The same reason we like to bitch about Paris and Jessica Simpson and go on about pedophiles (exuse me, alleged pedophiles). Its watching people thrown to the lions if not pushing them into the Arena ourselves. Disaster movies, car wrecks, death tolls…it fascinates our baser side.

I saw something outta the corner of my eye about this when OLG was watching Today this morning.

Is that underfed little thing like a foot taller than Cruise, or what? And 25 years younger?
Man. Think it’s love?

What does it mean to “care.”

There are exactly two celebrities that I “care” about in specific:

1. George Lucas for being a complete and utter fart whomper

2. Rutger Hauer for being the most awesome actor in the history of time

On the other hand I “care” about this stuff in an abstract way because the way we react to celebrity in this country is an important factor in understanding our culture. What celebrities do and how they do it affects the way “normal” people behave. What’s disturbing about this particular episode is how contrived it is. It just feels like Hollywood has sunk to a new low because apparently romance now means “big star arranges meeting with young hottie and completely re-arranges her life in the course of six weeks.”

YAWN.

What does it mean to “care.”

There are exactly two celebrities that I “care” about in specific:

1. George Lucas for being a complete and utter fart whomper

2. Rutger Hauer for being the most awesome actor in the history of time

On the other hand I “care” about this stuff in an abstract way because the way we react to celebrity in this country is an important factor in understanding our culture. What celebrities do and how they do it affects the way “normal” people behave. What’s disturbing about this particular episode is how contrived it is. It just feels like Hollywood has sunk to a new low because apparently romance now means “big star arranges meeting with young hottie and completely re-arranges her life in the course of six weeks.”[/quote]

“Care” is not the right word. By care I meant, a strange/illogical fascination to these stories.

Better?

It was obvious the first time, Tyler. Don’t pander to these snobs! I am teh care!

THANKS!!! You always make me so happy Tyler!!!

:twisted:

HA!

I am teh care.

Awesome.

I would convert to Scientology if I could date Tyler…that’s all I know.

:P

All I know is, I just flushed all my anti-depressants down the toilet and am calling Tom to help me through it. I just need one of those electrical impulse machines and I will be all set.

Normally, I avoid these type of stories, but the fact that Tom “Mr. Privacy” Cruise seems to be having some kind of staged marriage and/or mental breakdown, not only in public, but as an intentional media event is just fascinating. I mean, his Oprah appearance alone…

Katie Holmes needs to have her head examined. Oh wait, she’s converting to Scientology.