Kay Plays is Gone

So I have been playing Dark Souls 3 and decided to watch KayPlays blind play thru of it. Always the content behind where I was of course. No cheating.

I loved her blind play thrus of DS1 and DS2.

Well, anyway, she disappears about 14 videos into her DS3 play thru and is never heard from again. Roughly about June of 2016. I know many here have watched her work as well and I only hope she is okay and just decided she had had enough. Her last episode gave no indication that it would be the final video. She just said she was leaving for work.

I have seen play thrus of people who have rage quit about half way thru DS2, interestingly enough both quit on the same boss, but that isn’t what happened this time.

A quick google search (I don’t know who this person is) showed a thread on NeoGAF. She just stopped. I guess it wasn’t the first time.

Bottom of page 29 folks start talking about it.

Oh no, all her videos are gone? I hadn’t watched in a while, but I did like her Dark Souls playthrough - that’s how I figured out I didn’t want to play the game myself. Also liked her take on stuff like Antichamber, it was fun watching her thought process at work. I’ll miss her as a calm, rational corner of YouTube.

I don’t think she deleted her channel, she just stopped recording new videos.

Ah, well then, maybe she just needed a break or stuff came up. I will certainly hope.

Yes, it was Kay Plays Dark Souls which inspired me to give the game another go after two previous failed attempts. I’m thankful for that because I rank DS as one my all time favorite games.

According to a comment she left on one of her last videos she mentioned a problem with her machine in which it would shut down from overheating. She also mentioned Dark Souls burnout which happens to everyone. Hopefully she’ll decide to resume Let’s Play videos again soon.

Here’s a quick link to her YouTube Channel.

I had also never heard of her, but I’m now watching her videos on the first Dark Souls game (link is to her playlist for that game), and it is fun and relaxing. Thanks for pointing me her way, @Scuzz.

The start of her DS3 play thru does have mentions of that problem but she thought she had fixed it. I also noticed something in the DS3 play thru I had never noticed before, she actually cussed at one point. Nothing too bad but just not her usual response to a situation.

I loved witching her DS1 play thru as she was the first person I had ever seen who played the game truly blind and yet figured almost everything out on her own. I thought that was amazing.

This means without a guide, right?

She basically went into Dark Souls 1 knowing nothing and managed to figure out the game on her own. No guide, no hints, no nothing. She even started with the deprived class.

I have seen lots of Dark Souls play thrus (yea, I have a problem) where the player claimed they were doing things blind but two episodes later they were back at some spot finding that special shiny that nobody knew was there with out help. Or where they start an episode telling you how they have just spent the last 2 hours farming and co-oping in order to get something. KayPlays does none of that.

Sure she would take a few minutes to just stand there, talk to herself (the viewer) and work things out. You know, how stuff worked etc. But her ability to do that was amazing.

She was truly amazing in DS1.

But yes, she can see. I’m pretty sure.

I saw this thread and wondered from the title whether this was the case, since I knew she’d just stopped recording new videos a while back. My husband and I really enjoy watching blind playthroughs of the Souls games, and Kay’s videos were always a treasure to watch. She was surprisingly good at the game (for someone new to it), very thorough and analytical, while always talking through her thoughts and decisions. She was always one of the better LP’ers to watch play Dark Souls.

When we had heard of her, we had binge watched all of her earlier videos and then were keeping up with her DS3 videos… and were very disappointed when she just vanished. At some point, I thought she either made a post somewhere (maybe in the above linked GAF thread?) just explaining that RL had caught up with her and I expect she’s just moved on to other (non-gaming related) things… which is a shame. I would have liked to have seen her eventually play Bloodborne.