Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken was one of the best shows from 2020

Ah nice. I always suspected that was the same word. But what they translated as “film” and what they translated as “Eizouken” in the subtitles had to be different, I thought, since otherwise the subtitles would translate them the same way every time. But I guess the subtitles differentiated when they used it to mean film as opposed to when they were just using it as a proper noun to refer to their club.

This is why I loved the finale. The anime they make is the sort of ambiguous, not fully working stuff I watched a lot of in the early 90s and didn’t really love. Sophomore efforts that have nice stuff going on but don’t fully gel.

However, having watched the creative process (the rest of the series), the work as you see it as a film-within-a-film gains a lot of subtle layers and you get to appreciate that kind of stuff and where it comes from, even if it has many flaws. It perfectly fits the series ethos of getting you to understand parts of the craft I sometimes take for granted.

In the end, I loved the final episode and how they showed their animation in full, without mixing it with the real world. I think that’s the first time the show does it, with the other two shorts being more mixed with the”real world”.

Yeah I think there’s a reason the last line of the show is “there’s still a lot of room for improvement”