Kenshi (An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG)

Its scheduled to come out mid 2011 so that is only a few months away.

Crossing my fingers

From the website:

Kenshi is a single player free-roaming Role Playing Game, with a Real-Time Strategy influence. Its squad-based, meaning you have a whole team of characters who can split up and go to different ends of the world. The game world is 400 square km of seamless terrain with a world map screen for fast-travel, Fallout style. You can play with one character, or with 50, and there are advantages to both. Combat is real-time and is based on swords and bows, action beat-em up style but with RPG stats influencing the outcome. No Magic. No fantasy cliches. Think of a combination of X-Com Apocalypse and Oblivion.

Looks pretty good. I hope it makes it out.

I’ve been taking a look at the available screens and the graphics look beautiful for an indie work.

At first I was intrigued. After checking the site, I have no idea what to think of this. Looks interesting.

You are not the chosen one. You’re not great and powerful. You don’t have more ‘hitpoints’ than everyone else. You are not the center of the universe, and you are not special.

Fuck yeah. Finally something different from the “boy-raised-as-a-peasant-on-a-small-farm-but-really-savior-of-the-world-at-the-most-convenient-time-possible”

Also:

Absolutely no Level-scaling. The world does not level up along with you, and the shops don’t change their inventory to only items matching your level. At the start of the game almost everyone will be stronger than you, and survival will always be a struggle.

odds on them doing it properly are nil but kudos for at least trying. The guy is clearly very very talented but the scope is way too ambitious, even before I realised it’s a 1-man band

You’re not great and powerful.

Some of us are shleppers in real life, and play games to be great and powerful for a change. Just saying. :)

You’ve got plenty of other games for that.

This game’s fun factor is going to be determined by its AI. I’m sure of that.

I’m definitely interested, and this seems like a good idea.

Been poking around the site and I discovered a link to a demo:

http://www.lofigames.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=143

Haven’t downloaded it yet since my connection it crappy. Hopefully it’ll give us a good taste of the actual game.

Hmm, all links to the actual files seem to be 404 at the moment…

Putting aside that the links don’t appear to work, wow they sure want you to download a lot of files.

“download this”
“now download this and overwrite”
“download this patch to improve frame rates”
“you may need this too”
“oh and this”

edit: the person i think is the developer explains on the second page that the demo is down but he no longer has the old demo files because he is working on a “big bad new demo.”

The list of features is more or less a list of “stuff I’d like to see in a game.” Thanks for bringing this up, and I will definitely watch its development.

RPS has a talk with the guys behind Kenshi, and shows some footage and man…this looks and sounds hot diggity damn awesome!

Mount & Blade style open world gaming with samurais, where you actually gain more xp for failing than for succeding? Now that is utterly brilliant!

“Think of a combination of X-Com Apocalypse and Oblivion.”

drools…

You are not the chosen one. You’re not great and powerful. You don’t have more ‘hitpoints’ than everyone else. You are not the center of the universe, and you are not special.
We get to do this every day.

But mommy said im special

People that is not special want to be special, and people that is special want to be normal. We want what we can’t have.

On games where is not well defines “who” is you, normally you play like a superbeing general floating over the battlefield using characters as peons. On Mount & Blade this is fixed by putting you as another dude in the battle. And you can die, and the only thing you will see of the battle from that point is the final combat stats.
I don’t know how this game will avoid feeling like Populous or Powermonger (more like powermonger). But sounds extra double plus good.

Gah! I love it!

Oh my word. I can’t wait for this to come soon, I need to give these people money.

You can already, you know

I don’t really mind “becoming a hero”, it’s the whole “being a hero from the get go” that I find cliché and boring.

Trailer is interesting:

This looks fascinating, although for a super powerful guy wielding a giant shovel sword, your guy sure gets hit and staggered a lot. :P

The rest looks great and somehow hooks me in a way Overgrowth (for some reason the two feel similar to me) hasn’t yet, for some reason. I guess there’s more of a game there already, whereas the Overgrowth guys are vastly invested into crafting their overall systems into the best ones there can be to the detriment of game making …