Kenshi (An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG)

This is really good fan art work that depicts the world of Kenshi remarkably well:

Later if/when I have more time, I’ll post some pictures of my own [role playing] descent into madness.

I’m starting to get to the point where my CPU is unable to keep up with all the stuff. ;)

I have a big base, 1.2m cats, and two dozen soldiers with top gear. I still get my ass kicked in battles though, especially against those spider robots and hivers in elite gear.

Some of my farms are becoming “infertile” tho. What’s up with that?

No idea. I didn’t think the world would be that dynamic.

Those spider robots are tough. It usually takes me a couple in game days to clear out a ruin, even pulling just a few at a time and with a couple of decent ranged characters plus using a mounted crossbow. (The tanks use sleeping bags to heal up between ‘pulls’ if they’re too badly injured, and invariably one or two usually are.)

Maybe I’m supposed to use night soil collected in the outhouse?

Heh. That or crop rotation.

Kenshi 2 is in the works, and will help improve this version.

It will use the same engine as the first game, though it’s being upgraded for performance. The upgrade will benefit the original Kenshi, too, as it will be applied as a free update. Other features could also be shared across the games.

I wonder how they can get data for that.

Glantz wrote a book. It’s got one page for every year that’s passed since then.

why is there no like button

I have a hard time imagining what they could possibly do. There’s a lot of junk lying around the wilderness, but not nearly enough for a large civilization, no matter how advanced, IMO. Unless they want to keep the population low and concentrated in small pockets like the first game.

What if their civilization was made of 90% biodegradable materials.

Did you think of that.

Has anyone beaten this game? I just play for a while, get a fairly large base that is well defended, research various techs and then kind of put it down. I did try and take a holy town, but the single paladin NPC was more powerful than my army.

Can you beat it? I assumed it was like Dwarf Fortress.

I heard you could take over the factions, like actually kill and own the holy faction, for example. Also that if you did certain things, some factions would start wars with other factions.

I was able to conquer the Holy Nation, but I played with a mod that raised my team size and had about ~110 people at last count. Combat skills and healing increase so slowly I don’t see how you can manage without 50 soldiers.

Prisoners help quite a bit with that (there’s also a recruit prisoner mod that adds quite a bit of flavor to the game along with some potentially interesting team members.) It left me feeling vaguely evil though.

I played with a mod that added training machines for skills and stats. Its way to grindy otherwise.

I’m back to playing this, and for the first time tried the ‘nobodies’ start – you start with a squad of five mediocre dudes of you own choosing. I have two Sheks, two hive warriors and a hive queen. Right now we’re still just mining to accumulate cash, and finally have enough to stave off starvation. I sent one of my Sheks off to mine copper on his own, and of course he was attacked by a gang, stabbed in the gut and left for dead. My other Shek went and got him and carried him back to Squin for medic help and rest. So in that sense, starting with a squad ready made is a bit easier, because otherwise I’d have had no one to rescue him.

Meanwhile, the game is currently 25% off. Highly recommended for its bizarre (non-procedural) world.

My point had more to do with the fact that you can’t have 50 followers without installing a mod. How do people play this game with just a dozen followers? It seems impossible to me.

Eh i thought 30 (the max unmodded) was more than i could handle. I usually roamed the map with a squad of around 12.