Kerbal Space Program 2

Another giant leap for Kerbalkind.

From the devs:

Planned release in 2020.

I didn’t realize the team making this sequel was formerly Uber Entertainment. I guess that explains why the Planetary Annihilation folks split off a while back.

I’mma crash so many rockets

Easily the highlight of Gamescom announcements for me. I’m positively quivering in anticipation.

I’m sooooo happy. Most anticipated game for me right now. Yes, even over cyberpunk.

I don’t really feel great about that. Kerbal’s poetry to me was its anchor into our own science, and how it made it touchable, sensible.

It’s time to embrace the era of interstellar tic tacs.

That’s how you make a sequel folks!

But… but… I just started with the original game.

Hopefully there’s a MechJeb for the sequel… I ain’t no pilot, but I am an engineer and scientist.

Exactly the same gameplay but with slightly improved graphics?

Yeah, and is there some other game like this thats better?

Colonies and interstellar travel both sound like new and fun features to me. Colonies, in particular. My biggest complaint with KSP has always been a lack of much to do once you land on a planet. I like the idea that we have to develop colonies until they “become advanced enough for vehicle construction, propelling deep space and beyond.”

I was so excited about this I couldn’t sleep last night.

Maybe if the game had given you tasks to perform, such as collecting rocks, performing science experiments, etc.

Well, it’s true that KSP does ask you to gather science, including when landed on a foreign body, but that never tookme more than a couple minutes. I’d then be off to hunt for another biome to farm for science. I like the idea of a colony that has a longer-term mission.

Like, say, a base or something at Minmus that mines, refines and refuels your vessels as they head to outer system?

;-)

Yeah yeah, you can do that in KSP – but I never have! I didn’t need to, at least not to finish the science tree. I found it easier just to make refueling stations in orbit.

Speaking of which: I hope the new KSP gives us more to do on space stations, too.

I really enjoy setting up an observatory, using the mods that renders objects and planets even beyond, and trying to pinpoint it (very tricky, because the sensitivity is so great!) toward an object depending on its orientation and the time of the year. I would then take a snapshot.
Now that I write it, it seems so vain!

Which mods let you do that? I’ve wanted to do that forever!

Distant objects if it still works in the current version renders objects beyond the local “box”. It has next to zero impact on performance, and makes everything so more amazing, as you can also see your own stations and debris from far away. It makes the space really dark if there is a light source, but wonderfully mesmerizing when Kerbol is hidden.

I don’t remember where the observatory was, but I think it may have been one of those extra parts pack. It wasn’t really practical, nor very realistic (you can look at objects with an insane resolution through your lens after all: a blurry mod would have made it even more perfect ;)
I don’t have my PC at hand to search for the name for it, but I bet there must be a couple of them around by now!