Kerbal Space Program 2

I have distant objects it’s the ability to make a telescope or observatory that I don’t have.

Hey everyone - you know who Star Theory Games are? The awesome developers from Uber Games that made Planetary Annihilation.

Is it common for studios to change their names? I’m curious what the story is behind becoming Star Theory.

Given all I could achieve in KSP1 was a rocket that flew up a few kilometres and dropped back to earth, hoping the “improved onboarding” is done well.

are we playing the same game? kerbal has always been super whimsical and “loosely” based in reality (as far as the specifics of the engines go) there are even highly polished mods that already add interstellar stuff. i dont think its very far off the kerbal motif at all

It’s essentially bringing the main game up to the current modded experience. Something they’ve done before with expansions; incorporating many popular mods or mod concepts.

The current engine is pretty old and creaky for the demands that are frequently placed on it.

I couldn’t find the name of the mods from my mod folder’s mirror, but here is a snap of the (ugly) Fumble Project space scope, if somebody can chime in:

I’d guess we aren’t.

KSP 2 planets will have axial tilt. In layman’s terms, this is what gives Planet Earth its seasons. :)

At least we now know why they had the name change. They were tired of being confused with the Uber ride conpany.

Sometimes gamers are so stupid it makes me want to scream. As I was getting more hyped up for KSP 2 what’s the new top thread there?

KSP 2 WILL RUIN THE ORIGINAL
Making a second is a bad idea:

Ksp Is like Minecraft, there should never be a sequel, it is an open ended creative game,
By making a sequel we effectively admit that the first had core flaws that couldn’t be fixed with an update.
Im sorry but more Minecraft, when Microsoft acquired Mojang, they didn’t make Minecraft 2, they instead took the amazing community and built upon it, they did things we never would’ve thought they could do. Most of the features in KSP 2 that we know of, can be incorporated in an update. Also, some of the parts in KSP 2 seem a little too far from the present.

That article is exactly slightly incorrect. All of the planetary axes in KSP1 are perpendicular to the ecliptic, which is defined by Kerbin’s orbit. So if the orbit is inclined, the planet does have axial tilt relative to its orbital plane. That’s how NathanKell and the RSS team got the Earth to have the correct tilt relative to the lunar orbit–they inclined the whole solar system to produce it.

I’m confused as to what you’re saying. Are you saying they are using the same RSS trick as opposed to building in an actual baked in “rotational” axial tilt?

In KSP2 is seems there will be actual axial tilt. I’m just saying they got how the tilt worked in KSP1 slightly wrong. The article said this:

The planets in the original KSP tend to be aligned perpendicularly to their ecliptic orbit

This is true of Kerbin and the Mun, but isn’t true generally. The axes in KSP1 are all parallel to each other. So if the planet’s orbit is tilted, e.g. Eeloo’s orbit is 6.5° off the ecliptic, the axis will be tilted too by the same amount.

But in KSP2, it appears that the planetary axes will all be able to be tilted relative to each other.

Ahhh cool. And thanks for explaining that!

Scott Manley gets some interesting answers from the new dev:

• every vehicle and colony module in the trailer will be in the game
  • there will be a BAE (Base Assembly Editor) which can be used to do on-site assembly using ISRU
  • several new engines can only be ignited in space
  • new binary planet system will have a bespoke solution for the patched-conics, but PC will be preserved for the base Kerbolar system
  • explosions will be different depending on the components and contents of your rocket
  • there will be more color & material customizing
  • the new engine has been designed from the ground up with multiplayer and modding in mind
  • space center far more complex: 4 launch pads, 2 runways, etc
  • planet shine
    and…
  • there will be a Scott Kerman

wow this interview made me feel a lot more confident in them. The lead dev seems to understand what makes kerbal space program tick and really seems to want to do it justice. It’s not just some clueless exec who doesn’t really know the francise or wants to “shake things up” somehow.

Every single one of those points is exciting. Especially the different explosions one. That will make stuff blowing is way more fun. Right now I hate stuff blowing up because it mostly looks the same and drops your FPS down to nil.

It’s about time we got a properly shaved, bald Kerbal.

Ok, it must be good, if Scott Manley is excited.
I’m still looking forward to 1.8 and the new graphics.

I loved this. “We are going to be asking your opinion on a lot of stuff, so if we screw it up it will be partly your fault. HeHe that’s brilliant drafting Scott as part of the design team.”