Kerbal Space Program

@jpinard I’ve tried all of these, and they all fit a different gamer and full fill different needs. The problem I usually have with life support is they all basically add one thing to spacecraft, and that is weight. Outside of that the game play mechanics added aren’t often very engaging(Snacks), or if they are, they are overly complicated(USI). Kerbalism is actually very cool, but it rewrites a lot of the basic gameloop stuff and so is not compatible with a ton of other things.

I might suggest one that I tried recently that had a different approach to keeping your Kerbals allive called Kerbal Health. I like this one because it uses built in parts in KSP to deal with more then just adding food and oxygen to your vessel. It also adds astronaut rotations, living space, and some other factors. I thought it was pretty fun.

USI to be fair also adds the idea of habitation space which is similar. The reason I don’t use USI though is because the companion mods that go with it to make things self sustaining can get really REALLY complicated.

Cool I may go that route. Thanks!

I’ve been using Snacks in my current career. The most recent version includes Air and Stress as well as food. I find that they work best when you forget them: when you have to figure out how to abort or speed up a mission or mount a quick rescue to keep your kerbals alive.

Yea, see that’s the thing. No worries or concerns over how long missions last, and having kerbals on a station for years with no resupply, just feels so boring. I always reload after a mess up so this will introduce some fun tension to the game (outside of docking).

My stations usually start with a science module and solar panels, and then I add a large fuel tank in a later flight. In the mid-game, I dock there on the way in and out of Kerbin orbit.

Outgoing, it means I only need to carry the amount of fuel needed to reach the station, and then I can refuel from orbit before dealing with transits and landings. Incoming, I can drop off science for that orbital research modifier, and if I have leftover fuel (e.g. whatever extra safety margin I was carrying) I can return it to the reservoir.

So yes, once I have the tech, I always attach docking ports to everything I launch.

What does it even mean to be KSP2? Fancier graphics? Better CPU utilisation?

‘more stuff’ is already possible in KSP1.

Important note here is that Squad isn’t working on it. Not that there’s much (if any?) of the original team left anyway.

More (official) info:

https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/game/kerbal-space-program-2/

In short: improved UI, improved graphics, resource extraction colonies, interstellar travel, improved modding, and… multiplayer.

YEEEEAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Optimistic, but given how long it took for KSP to become something resembling stable, I’m going to hold onto my cash for a bit. :)

That’s because it started as one dude working on it part time done at a marketing company. This is an entire development studio now with experience.

If they could find some way to meld this with Satisfactory (resource extraction, building machinery, etc.) it would be just about the perfect game.

Edit: Apparently I believe in this vision so strongly I already expounded it in this very thread.

Can we add No Man’s Sky to the mix as well, because that would be awesome :)

I hope they add life support as part of the base game in KSP2. I think it would make probes more interesting and more important.

In the meantime, I sure wish they’d fix the deployed science experiment spams. I’m about ready to launch a Duna probe and fast forwarding 6 hours generates 100+ spam messages which have to be deleted one at time a 60 day forward is going to be absurd.

Me too!

I was in on the ground floor man. I know where it came from. I also remember seeing the challenges on that journey.

That music has been used for this purpose before…

If I wanted to go to Jool via gravity assist from Duna or another planet… How would one bake that into your dV calculations? Furthermore, how would you plan that set of maneuvers?

It’s tricky. There was a utility for this at one point. I think it’s here:

If I remember right, it’s a little difficult to install and use but produces good results. You can also just put a vessel in orbit and play with maneuver nodes trying to launch past Duna (or better, Eve) to Jool. Someone has probably posted fly-by parameters somewhere too.

There’s also this: