Kerbal Space Program

It is working fine for me. Thanks! I just figured out another mod I missed after progressing to docking ports: Docking port Alignment. Jeesh I forgot how hard it was to line up with the default navball markings.

1.1 will remain in pre-release state for at least another week while further testing and bug-fixing continues. There was a new binary released yesterday, version 1203. The most annoying bug I’ve run across and continues unsquashed is where after a couple hours maneuver nodes will delete themselves as soon as you click away (reported in unmodded installs as well). The allure of virtually no memory limit with 64 bit is just too tempting, however; KSP memory usage for me is roughly 4.6 GB, and will only increase as more and more mod authors update their mods to be compatible with the new version.

Pfft. My computer with 4gb of ram still delightfully provides a memory limit on a 64 bit build. :)

I’m glad the official release was bumped though. There are still a huge number of outstanding issues and as I’m assuming that 1.1 will be used for the console releases, I suspect they’ll need it to be a lot more solid than it currently is.

What is must-have mods for 64-bit version of 1.1?

That’s more a limit on performance, thanks to paging, than a limit on actual running, thanks to limited address space. :P

jpinard, you’ll want, at a minimum:

1. Kerbal Alarm Clock
  2. Kerbal Engineer Redux (I don’t truck with Mechjeb—too much like having the game play itself)
  3. Some sort of maneuver node editor. I use PreciseNode for this.

Optionally, you may also enjoy:

1. SCANSat: a mapping satellite plugin; makes unmanned/scouting missions more interesting/more important.
  2. StageRecovery: automatically recovers boosters which meet certain criteria (either enough delta-V for a landing burn, or enough parachutes for a soft landing).

Others will no doubt suggest more, but these are a good minimum set.

I’d largely echo Fishbreath on mods, though I only use Kerbal Alarm Clock and Kerbal Engineer Redux. The one mod I would recommend you steer clear of is MechJeb – it largely takes the feeling of accomplishment out of the game.

That said, there are parts of MechJeb that I would love to see in KER - most notably the predicted impact point and the aerobraking prediction tool.

It isn’t updated for KSP1.1 yet, but I use Trajectories to fill in that gap.

Oh hey, I remember that mod. I haven’t tinkered with it in over a year. Maybe once they post a 1.1 compatible version I’ll give it another go.

I used Kerbal Alarm Clock, Precise Node, and Docking Port Alignment. I didn’t find KER particulaly intuitive. I’m a big fan of MechJeb. I think it has a bad rap as form of cheat. If you play on career mode, it takes a very long time to unlock the features like automatic landing and ascent. I had to make 1/2 dozen landings on Mun and Minumus, and dozens of docking before I got enough science (300 level) unlock the final features.

What it does do much earlier is give you valuable engineering information about the statistic of your rocket while you are building it. It also make it much easier to figure out to fly to the moons, and other planets.

There’s a development version for 1.1 at the author’s site. Seems to work for me.

I don’t use MechJeb–I meant that I use Trajectories for my atmospheric predictions. Strollen, that’s fair; I just prefer to fly manually, and KER gives all the same information.

Speaking of flying manually…

The flaws in my initial refueling rover having become apparent (namely, that because it uses docking ports, it doesn’t work for about 90% of fuel load and landing slope combinations I’ve come across), I decided to land another one. This one has a lovely skycrane thing going; I was hoping to take some screenshots on landing, but I forgot.

The solution is the fueling rover mark II! The use of a Rockomax-style tank in a flat configuration makes the center of gravity a lot more manageable, and the crablike shape keeps it from flipping over. The biggest innovation is the use of the Advanced Grabbing Unit to transfer fuel, instead of the docking ports. The claw is much more tolerant of poor orientation.

Not only that, but the many many solar panels make for a great little power booster, which means my science lab can finally work at full capacity. I’m up to 10 science per day instead of two.

Transferring fuel and power through the claw? :p

Have you tried kerbal attachment mod? With it you can send up some pipes and a fuel tank and have jeb strap the tank to the rocket via a fuel line. Much more ‘realiatic’. Plus the rest of the nod is pretty great as it means jeb can make in situ repairs and construct things.

The problem with playing the hard career level, lesson 4. I had a contract to do crew reports below 8,100. I carefully move my Mun space station to a 7,000-8,000 meters and take a crew report on the first location. But since you can only time warp 10x at the altitude, I went to Mission Control to warp faster, and I think accidentally hit terminate instead of fly. But now I’m looking at the Mun wiki and there is 7,061 meter mountain near the south pole. My PE was like 7,030 or something, ugh.

Yeah there’s a confirmation dialog box that you have to confirm when you use terminate. 7-8km is definitely NOT a safe altitude for the Mun you insane person haha D:

I’m using career 1.1 and can’t find ANY maneuver node options. Is it locked behind a building or rocket ugrade?

Are there any texture overhauls for the gam that work with 1.1? Vanilla KSP is looking very drab compared to what I had a bajillion years ago, but whatever I had is lost to the ages.

So now I have killed 3 people on the Mun including Jeb. I lost 2 tourist when I ran out of electricity on Kerbin orbital mission (lesson #2). It turns out tourist don’t know how to open parachutes. Still I don’t think 5 dead is too bad for my career. One thing that Kerbal is more forgiving than real life is rocket don’t suddenly explode for no apparent reason. I’ve lost track of the number of out of control rockets, where I frantically detached the last stage and popped the chute.
But I never have experienced, an Apollo 1, Challenger, Columbia, Falcon 9 type event.

I am curious does anybody use the emergency escape system?

Isn’t it 2 buildings? the tracking station and the missions i think.

You have to upgrade the tracking center in order to get manuever nodes.

Yep both thanks. So interesting thing. Money was n issue before (I’m playing on custom difficulty between medium and hard), and now that I have to spend money on unlocking buildings things got tight real fast lol.