Kerbal Space Program

All wheels in KSP seemed to “buckle” when taking off at high speeds. I think it was down to the models not being perfectly centered, or something. I don’t know if they fixed that problem since a million years ago.

How’s your spy plane working out? Can it fly you to the poles?

Well I have my planes here:

Atmosphere test craft
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2p1K_4MgKnUV3B1bkt0WlMyTTg

Simple plane
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2p1K_4MgKnUUUx4Vmp1dDVfNTg

I didn’t load up KSP to see what both were. I believe the Atmosphere Test Craft was my plane with all the science parts on it. However yours is a more aesthetically pleasing design ;)

Steam has KSP on sale for 40% off for the “Turbo Update Release”. It looks like despite some remaining bugs, 1.1 may drop “soon”.

It seems 1.1 is available now.

Woo! Hopefully my Munbase won’t explode anymore. I always hate having to land my tanker/shuttle. Not a lot of excess thrust with full gas. <.<

That sadly link sadly appears to point to MechJeb. I don’t suppose anyone has a 1.1-compatible Trajectories link, do they?

Not yet, anyway. If it isn’t updated by this weekend, I may spend a few hours on Saturday whipping up a compatible version.

It is veerrrry slow. Lol. Takes too long to go very far and using time acceleration causes it to blow up. I also found some interesting things that also contributed to my problems. First, the tech tree was rearranged in the beta I was playing, so Scott Manley’s science and observation planes were impossible to make since several parts were pushed 2 tiers deeper in the tech tree. Also, apparently those wing wheels were supposed to be able to work on a fuselage but were broken in the beta (they couldn’t be made perfectly perpendicular to ground). Moving more than a snails pace also caused the landing gear to break which is why I needed such a high lift plane to take off. Haven’t been feeling well so I may see if the final released version of 1.1 fixed those issues with my crappier planes.

Craig I’m going to grab those when I log on later tonight :)

I’m curious, what is the cheapest mid-tech design to get 2 tourists into orbit? I’m struggling to make good money so I can get more buildings upgraded. Most of my missions are now out of my comfort zone (going to other planets) since my reputation is really high. Also a cheap design that can go to moon and back with 2 or 4 passengers would be great to see as well. I don’t think my designs are cost effective but am not sure. I have a 20k rocket that can barely make it into orbit with 2 tourists when the breeze is right lol.

Hadn’t played this in a while and downloaded 1.1 to my MacBook Air.

Yikes. This got a lot harder with the heat modeling and stuff. I just decided to try a quick sandbox “Mercury” to see how it performed on the MacBook and I threw a Mk1 capsule on top of an SRB with a separator ring. Dang thing burned up and exploded from heat while going UP.

Then I loaded a prebuilt ship and the throttle seemed to only have two settings, on and off, using X and Z?

Looks like I have to re-learn this…

For the burning ascent with a solid, try right-clicking on the solid during assembly and reducing the maximum thrust a bit. This should slow your ascent.

All of the liquid engines included in the base game should be fully throttleable with Left Control + Left Shift. Several mods introduce ‘realistic’ engines that may either not be throttleable at all, or may only have a few discrete settings, however.

I have run into a critical game breaking bug, several other people confirmed it on the forums and I wonder if any of you have a workaround. After getting into orbit around the Mun, when I try to create a new maneuver node, I click to draw out the change I’d like and when I let go of the mouse button the node disappears. So I end up having to abort my mission or just perform dead reckoning minus proper maneuver nodes which means gathering data from around the Mun for missions, or getting home is insanely difficult. I’m am a sad camper about this right now. Wasted so much time last night.

I had that, but the bug went away when I quit and restarted the game.

I need to throttle off the add-ons. I am up to 46 now. Is there anyone still playing who uses life support, or roverdude mods for bases? I am wondering if it will add to the fun, or just the tedium.
EDIT: I’ve also experienced strange node wonkiness, and it has so far fixed itself by reloading.

Is it easy to get all the graphics mods working now? I loaded it up but didn’t last long, feels a bit like Falcon 3.0 at this point. Note I think it’s still an amazing experience that anyone with an interest in rockets, science, and space should try, I’m just itching for a visual overhaul.

A too I’m taking that route right now. I’m sick tonight but I have 4 graphic overhaul mods I’m going to try and get to work together. I’ll post if I can get it all to function under 1.1 and all the mods together.

It’s amazing the speed at which mod authors are coming out with 1.1 compatible versions. I have 34 installed right now, with memory usage in the 5-6 GB range and it’s running great. I’ve got all but about 2 mods (KAC and one other) installed via CKAN. Previously I didn’t dare add too many graphics mods for fear of running out of memory which was very easy to do with the 32bit version, but now with 64bit I’m going crazy and loving it. The visual enhancement mods I’m using are EVE and its config files, PlanetShine, scatterer, smokescreen, Real Plume and its config, and finally what made a lot of difference was Stock Visual Enhancements.

Honestly I’d probably have more mods installed, but I’ve mostly tried to wait for them to show up on CKAN before using them. Did I mention how great CKAN is? Do not try to manage your mods without it; believe me, I tried and it was a mess.

I find TAC to be pretty reasonably balanced for early career as it adds a requirement to get your Kerbals home quickly (no insanely long but highly fuel efficient flights or you’ll open the pod to find a dead kerbal). The difficulty spikes when you transition to planetary flights as you begin having to calculate, with some precision, life support needs for events you may not have experienced before (e.g., how much oxygen do you need on a lander to make a return trip from Duna to Ike?)

TL;DR: TAC adds to the early game but becomes a bit of a chore in the late game. But really, most of us just keep playing the early game over and over, right?

Also, I’ll second CKAN. It’s an absolute must for all but the most basic KSP mods.

First I’ve heard of CKAN, off to google it…

I think this was a new feature for 1.1 but when you are at the space center when you mouse over a ship, it shows when the next maneuver node will be. It is not a replacement for Kerbal Alarm but it is helpful.

Does anybody know when KAC will be fixed or is there a good replacement for it.

In the Kerbal Alarm Clock thread at the KSP forum, or up the thread here, I posted my provisional version.