Kerbal Space Program

Is there an issue with installing extra mods not updated specifically for install with CKAN if you’re using CKAN?

Anyone else playing this sans mods?

I did for many hours while with 1.1 beta. Questions?

Not so far, just curious.

It was great minus mods. But I wanted more visual fidelity and also remembered mods I was using 1.5 years ago that I wanted to run again so I am going down that route. I’m about to try and get a maybe no so compatible outer planets mod to work with all the graphical stuff meeper posted.

Any of you using Universal Storage?

I have Universal storage and dmagic. I like universal storage because it gives you options on mounting science projects without completely overpowering anything.

KIS and KAS are in CKAN this morning. Now that these are out I am hoping to play a game with extraplanetary and USI mods installed, just to flesh out Kerbal space.

I am sitting at about 45 mods right now, and think that might be about where I land. I don’t actually have too many part mods I don’t think. I have USI life support, MKS/OKS, some contract packs, and then some beautification mods. For me however, the jury is still out as to wether life support and base mods will be fun, or tedious. Play testing required.

EDIT: And for the compeltely insane, there is Kerbalism: https://github.com/ShotgunNinja/Kerbalism/wiki

Thanks so much for doing this, it is really a life saver. KAC 1.1 provisional is here for those who missed Fishbreath post. Nothing seems to be broken.

Fozzle what do you mean by “not overpowering anything”?

What I mean to say is that several of the mod packs IMHO give you options that make the game too easy. DMagic by itself for instance gives you a lot more science points then you would normally gain in a typical career mode. Using it with a mod like the engineering tech tree, which makes the tech tree a lot harder to fill out might balance things out for you. In this case, Universal storage gives you some cool ways to mount science projects on your ships easier then before but the cost of this is that you can only use the experiments once (even with a scientist). So to me it feels balanced.

I realized that sayings like “balanced” and “over powered” in a game like KSP is 100% completely subjective.

Heh, looks like exactly what I want. I was about to start a 1.1 career and I might do it with a lot fewer mods that work together more cleanly from the looks of that. I’m thinking Kerbalism, KER, KAC, SCANsat, and Stage Recovery.

Oh excellent -thanks for such a descriptive response!

If it’s a 1.1 compatible mod, then no, not really. CKAN will not overwrite anything already in the GameData folder so you can manually install mods and CKAN won’t do anything with them. Keep in mind if the mod does show up in CKAN’s list later you won’t be able to install it via CKAN until you delete the manual install, but that’s about it.

Can you imagine trying to get to some of those horrid orbits? dear lord. The blue one in the bottom left seems impossible… or possible once every 80 years.

HAHAHA! Want to know what else is funny? There are two more star systems off the map! This was a wild test to see just how many planet systems I could cram into the game and see how it performed. And to my amazement, it worked amazing (no I’m not flying through all that lol). Since KSP is nice enough to let you run the game in separate folders, some day I will play this crazy version just for fun.

The most interesting part honestly, is getting torn asunder by fact theres’ 5 moons around Kerbin and a ton of overlapping spheres of influence.

KSP, stock, uses the patched-conic approximation: that is, all orbits are conic sections around a single main body, with no influence figured in from other nearby bodies. This has a few advantages: for one, it’s possible to predict where you’re going to end up without running the simulation forward, and for another, it’s always immediately clear to you, as the player, which body is exerting the main influence on your spacecraft. (It has some downsides, too—there are no Lagrange points in KSP, for one, which is a shame. I’d love to stick a space station in one of them, or something.)

There’s a mod out there that replaces the patched-conic approximation with a full n-body physics simulation. This makes the game extremely tricky: as you fly toward the Mun after your trans-munar burn, say, the Mun’s influence on your spacecraft grows steadily greater, and it drags you more toward the Mun than the patched conic approximation… approximates. (I ran out of words.) Scott Manley did a video on it. The mod provides you with a line that shows your orbit for the next game day or two. The butterfly effects caused by the relatively simple Kerbin-Mun-Minmus system are pretty wild. I can’t even begin to imagine how crazy it would be with five moons.

So my career install now has 60 mods on it. Funny enough, most of them are not part mods. I think the game ships with a good set of parts for the most part. I do add some SpaceX looking stuff, because I wanna land on a barge from 100,000 meters away, and I want a cool looking base station on the mun. Outside of the typical recommendations, I’d like to share a few favorites that are really nifty:

[ul]
[li]Better Burn Time - This cool mod adds extra info to the node info on your navball that helps you better determine when to start burns, when you will hit pavement, etc.[/li][li]Final Frontier - Give your Kerbals awards, medals and badges for their amazing feats![/li][li]Contract Packs - There are lots of entertaining contract pack mods. I am currently using Bases and Stations, Clever Sats, Field Research, and Tourism Plus. My current tourism plus contract is to take 16 tourists into orbit for a 12 day space camp (and I run life support, so… yeah)[/li][li]Navball up Default - This nifty little mod just makes the navball always up when you go to map mode.[/li][li]Raster Prop Monitor - Love this mod. It gives you complete information and control within the IVA’s of your cockpit. If you haven’t seen this in action, it is a game changer.[/li][li]Navball Docking Alignment Indicator - This little mod simply adds directional heading information to the navball while docking, so you can see how well you are lined up.[/li][li]B Science![/B] - Not my favorite science tracker, but it will do in a pinch. It shows you what science you have already collected, and what biomes you have missed so far.[/li][/ul]

Happy flying!

Fizzle, I know it’s a pain, but please list your full complement of mods. It can point out some important or interesting mods I might be missing.

Fishbreath - I had no idea there are no LaGrange points in the game. That is hugely disappointing finding out that the mass body physics aren’t nearly as the scale I’d assumed. So with the mod you mentioned does that allow special LaGrangian orbits? If not that you’re saying it is much more realistic as to how ships are tenderly tugged from several different bodies based on real-space physics?

Here’s the mod, or a version of it. Yes, using it will allow for stable positions at Lagrange points: Lagrange points are mathematical fallout from allowing multiple bodies’ gravity to influence you at the same time.

Which isn’t to say the patched conic approximation is bad—it’s simpler, and for nearly every case, it’s almost the same as a full n-body simulation. (Lagrange points and precessing orbits are the only things it really misses.) Without patched conics, it would be tricky to do time acceleration; since there is no closed form for predicting the positions of objects at some future time t in an n-body simulation without running the simulation step-by-step out to time t, we’d be stuck with physics warp exclusively. We would also probably have a hard time with missions like the Duna mission I’m running now: my midcourse burn is a few hundred days away from the SOI change, and it’s altogether possible that an n-body simulation wouldn’t be able to provide me a trajectory far enough in advance so that I could actually see the effects of my midcourse corrections.

Thanks you made me feel better about it :). I’ve had bad luck with the warp feature, so it’s always been fast forward for me. That’s why I didn’t understand why they would not be using a more organic large mass physics system (outside of it being computational draining on the cpu). Have you been playing with real solar system at all? They have a huge list of necessary mods to play and I’m curious if that mod is one of them, or even on its suggested list. I haven’t played around with it yet since I’m still doing everything mostly stock (outside of s few extra planets and moons lol)