Kerbal Space Program

I barely have time to run missions in a Kerbal-sized world as is. I can’t imagine fifteen or twenty-minute launches. :P

You asked for Fozzle’s mod list, not mine, but in the interests of open information, here’s what I use:

1. Kerbal Alarm Clock: major quality-of-life thing; I like being able to run multiple missions at the same time. It makes my Kerbin feel much more exciting.
  2. Kerbal Engineer Redux: for displaying delta-Vs/TWRs while building, for the orbital parameters display (relative inclination is super-handy for rendezvous, for one), and for accurate estimations of node burn times.
  3. Trajectories: for accurate landings. Trajectories takes into account atmospheric drag for your current spacecraft, and the rotation of the body beneath you. Handy for splashing down pods right next to KSP.
  4. SCANSat: provides things to do with satellites, some extra science experiments, and, of course, planetary altimetry/slope/anomaly maps.
  5. Contract Configurator: extra contracts and contract packs for more things to do in career mode.
  6. PreciseNode: for editing node delta-Vs down to 1/100th m/s, and more precisely editing times. It also shows the ejection angle and the ejection inclination, both super-helpful for interplanetary transit maneuvers.

I think there may be one more, but if there is, it clearly isn’t very important. :P

Wow, that is a pretty small list! There’s a few precise node mods out there, so I’ll grab the one that started with that name too. I didn’t know trajectories was that accurate. I wish I’d grabbed that before I flubbed a bunch of missions. Contract Configurator doesn’t feel cheaty? Did you get it because yiu had too much repetition? I’m so new to this I still have all these missions I’ve never done and I didn’t want to miss the default stuff.

So no FAR? I’m not using it either but I will be on my next playthru.

Here is my current list. It’s been changing by 1-2 mods every time I load. I am still trying to find my mod list sweet spot for fun vs challenge. No matt er how many times I’ve changed my mod list, I’ve yet to run into any real issues with mods, crashing, etc.

You can download my ckan list here, and try it for yourself if you like.

One mod I am toying with next is Antenna Range. This is a happy medium between where the next version of Kerbal antennae will be and remote tech (which seems a bit too real for me.)

Thanks a million Fozzle. Ok, I had also been seriously thinking about all those mods Roverdude has made. He also has a nuclear engine one that looks insanely cool but it’s not on his official list for some reason. I just commented on it on their forums to bump it up. So all the raster prop monitor stuff works good? I’d neglected that too wondering just how well fixed up it is.

The graphic memory monitor. Is that necessary on the 64-bit exe? I have a decent video card so I’m not sure if I should be monitoring that or not. So curious what your reasoning is.

Also Snark has just released a fantastic new suite of light indicators that shows power levels of batteries, fuel cells, SAS, and soon science parts. It is looking so awesome, green,mellow, red, blinking for low juice. Just thought I’d bring that up since I saw you had better burn time by him too. I do not think it’s on CKAN since it’s technically still beta. But I’m using it, and he’s added all kinds of customizing features into it.

On Rover dude’s stuff: I grabbed Roverdude’s life support, because I like the abstraction. Kerbal’s need supplies to live. makes sense. I don’t necessarily need to know how much food, water, etc they need, just that they need so much of “it”. I grabbed his Kolonization because I am really wanting to explore bases this play through. That being said, I’ve also seen and heard good things about Planetary bases, so I grabbed both to see which one I like best =) I don’t think kerbonite and kethane are really needed any more, since we have built in ore now, so I don’t bring those along.

I use graphic memory monitor because it has an fps counter on it, and it is hideable with alt+F

I want to see the light indicators. If you know the name of the mod, or the beta link, can you post it? I will check it out.

As for Raster Prop Monitor, I’ll just leave this here for you… (Link to larger image) This is in the mk2 inline cockpit.

Wow that looks incredible! I’m glad you brought up Kethane and Kerbonite because I was confused how that stuff fit in with the current stuff we have. Here’s snark’s new lights: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/137806-11-indicatorlights-v04-small-convenient-informative/&page=1

BTW the stuff by Necrobones. Never considered them before. I do have strutfinder because I’m bad at placing struts and they often disappear. Do you those mods by Necro indispensable?

I wouldn’t say it is indispensable, but there are some nice things about his pieces. I am into the whole SpaceX look right now, so I am liking the SRB’s and rocket parts that go with SpaceY, and really the other pieces just give some aesthetics.

And that Raster pic made me go through my screenshot folder, so here are some KSP beautification shots, and you can see some of the Necro piecesin this album

I’m really excited about starting a new 1.1 game. My most recent game centered around New Horizons, but I didn’t get very far with it. Debating whether to try it again. In the past, I’ve had games centered around Kerbal Construction Time, one around KSP Interstellar, one centered around severedsolo’s Bases & Stations contract pack plus the Engineering Tech Tree, and one centered around Roverdude’s MKS suite.

Now I’m thinking of a game centering around bases and stations and Station Science, but I’m not sure those will function completely with New Horizons. Have any of you guys played with Station Science? I’m interested in it because I want space stations to have a persistent purpose, and just cuz I like building and expanding stations. I like the idea of ground stations too; for that, MKS, or Planetary Bases, or both?

I’ve even thought about Kerbalism, but I generally am leery about hardcore life-support mods, as I hate seeing Kerbals kick the bucket. So debating what to do. Here’s my tentative modlist – my “must have” mods first, and then mods I’m thinking about. I’d be grateful for any comments and suggestions on what mods I might add or subtract.

Must-haves:
PreciseNode (JPinard: try this, or a similar precise-node mod. You won’t go back to stock maneuver nodes.)
Kerbal Engineer Redux
Kerbal Alarm Clock
Docking Port Alignment Indicator

Tentative:
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations
Station Science
Engineering Tech Tree
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems or MKS (or both? I see Fozzle runs them all). Never tried Planetary Base Systems; looks nice.
Nertea’s Station Parts Expansion
Strategia
Final Frontier
Environmental Visual Enhancements
Crew Queue
Kerbal Construction Time
New Horizons? Seems it’s in transition. Uncharted Lands? Maybe just stock solar system?
RCS Build Aid
Raster Prop Monitor - never tried it, Fozzle may have talked me into it
Aviation Lights
Indicator Lights (was just looking at this when I saw jpinard’s post about it)
Surface Lights? Not clear it’s being maintained; never tried it, but looks pretty.
Kerbalism or USI life support - not both, I imagine. Probably will chicken out and go with USI.
Antenna Range maybe? Not sure whether I should leave it out and wait for the next patch, which will have something like it.
SCANSat, maybe.
DMagic Orbital Science, maybe. Had it last game, never used it.
Kerbin-Side? Is this fun? I don’t use aircraft as much as I used to, so I’m thinking it’s not for me.
Planetshine?
Distanct Object Enhancement?
Scatterer? Never used any of these visual effects mods before.

Spock, Thanks for this. I need to check out Station Science, that looks like exactly what I am looking for. Apparently it is not updated in ckan and I’ve never used this one before. Going to give it a go! I am basically using my current game to try out different mods until I hit the sweetspot, then start over. Some of the contract mods, and part mods that I have been swapping in and out have messed up the balance of this save, but I feel like I am honning in on what I am looking for.

Question about New Horizons, Uncharted, Rss, etc. Do Alarm Clock, engineer, and other mods adjust themselves for all the new planets? I would think that would add a huge amount of difficulty to not have mods, or a wiki, or any info on the planets themselves.

I too am struggling between two base station mods, USI and Base Systems, and I don’t know which one I will end up with honestly. I think Roverdude’s has more symmetry with other mods and with creating a self sustaining base, but I do like the look of base systems. The jury is still out for me here. I want whatever I chose to work with Extraplanetary so I can build in space though.

…And it look like 1.1.1 just hit (and broke ckan for a bit)

At the moment, I’m working on updating Trajectories to v1.1.x compatibility.

… does anyone know how to debug a ShaderLab shader? >.>

I don’t even know what a ShaderLab shader is, so I can’t help you there Fishbreath. But now that I know you’re here, I’m going to rush off to check out Trajectories!

Fozzle, for me the appeal of Station Science is that it increases the importance of persistent space stations, at least potentially. I think I might have to “roleplay” a bit by refraining from spamming goo experiments everywhere, and relying more on the space station (and its associated contracts).

You’re right that New Horizons etc probably won’t play nice with mods like Station Science, so I’ll probably give New Horizons a miss this time, especially as the developer is planning a big new release in a few weeks, and I don’t want to wait that long.

Edit: I love the functionality and complexity of MKS, but I’ve used it before, whereas I’ve never tried Planetary Systems. Also, I have to admit that I prefer the stockalike look of Planetary Base Systems. I think I’ll start with it.

Thanks a lot you guys. Looks like I’ll have to restart my whole campaign cause more more more! Mod count looking to finalize ~55-60 LOL.

OMG - Kerbalism. I’d read the intro threads, but until you see how this works together you can’t fathom how amazing this is. I won’t use it for now, but when I get bored I will totally run another game with this. This guy did a Scott Manley’ish fantastic job with the video. Even if you know what kerbalism is about this is still a mindboggling to watch.

Heh, I watched that entire video; thanks for the link! It sure does sound interesting. I especially like that tech level affects things like ship-quality and scrubber-efficiency. But I’m not sure I’m ready for “hard mode” yet. It can be deflating to work hard to get a ship to some far-off destination, or to build a fancy space station, only to see everyone on board kick the bucket. Although I guess rescue/salvage missions could be fun! I’d like to try this, but I’m not sure I have the courage to run it in my first 1.1.x game.

Jpinard, what’s your mod list look like?

Funny thing about that mod. Though this may sound a little morbid, I’m looking forward to being reminded of my mistakes, when I see capsules floating away in space with the entombed crew of failed missions. To ease the difficulty for that version I will add in a bunch of the fun rocket packs I’m not using now.

So what mods am I using? Well, I’m still organizing them all for a fresh new run. Since some mods like SVE have had issues with CKAN I’ve gone full manual. TO do this required I start cataloging everything I was interested in leading to this:

Good lord. You’re not playing a space simulation, you’re playing a module management game!

JP, no remote tech or antenaes? I love your list. I want to get into kopernicus next
Play through.

It looks like that Kerbalism mod adds remote tech type stuff.

oh! I forget how many realism mechanics are in that one mod…