Kerbal Space Program

P.S. things are still a bit wonky in KSP 1.1.2. I am not sure if they are Squad issues, or mod issues, but strangeness has ensued.

• While trying to dock two sections of a space station last night I came in perfectly aligned, and at about .2m/s. Once the docking was complete the ship would all of a suddenly shoot off into space about 2000K and then after a few more second blow up. Then the game would lock hard. I was able to reproduce this about 6 times in a row. very frustrating. I got around it by docking, then slamming the Space Center button to move it to an idle ship. When I went back to it, it was fine.

• Wheels. Man wheels are just strange. They slide sideways, they are squirely, and they can now barely hold their own weight, much less the weight of a ship. Heaven forbid if your Kerbal should touch a wheel… even in the slightest bit.

• Speaking of Kerbals touching things, they must now be explosive Kerbals, because if one nicks a landing gear while coming out of your pod, the landing gear explodes.

Still having fun, but these things are annoying. Whoever suggested Station Sciences, thanks! My space stations are starting to look pretty cool now.

I haven’t run into any of those, besides wheels being a bit slidey—I think that’s a feature of the new physics system. I haven’t played much with 1.1.2 yet, though.

I think I suggested Station Science, but I haven’t played with it much yet, so I’m glad it’s working for you, Fozzle! It’s going to be a centerpiece of my new game.

Jpinard, that’s an impressive list! I do think it’s a good idea to start with a short list to make sure things are stable, then gradually add things on.

Someday when starting a new career mode game I will remember to put batteries on my tourist ferries. I always kill a group or two by not having any power to trigger the parachutes.

Oops!

Sometime over the weekend, I’m going to do some testing of a Duna mission: Duna orbital velocity at 55km is about 900 m/s, and Duna’s datum-level atmospheric pressure is Kerbin’s at 15km, so if I can stop at 15km after a suborbital trip to 70km that tops out at 900m/s or so, I should definitely be able to land on Duna, since Duna has significantly less gravity to work against.

You can also do a multiple pass capture at Duna with relative ease…

It’s the landing, not the capture, I want to test. I want to make sure I have enough parachutes, or alternately, see if I’ll need to bring retrothrusters along for the final approach.

I’ve always done a powered final descent on Duna, personally. OTOH, I only recently discovered http://ksp.freeiz.com/, so I’m sure I wasn’t doing things optimally at all.

That webpage went a long way to showing me how crazy parachutes are in KSP. Basically how you need a crapton of them to do a parachute-only landing on a planet for any but the smallest craft. For example, a 22 ton craft landing on Duna with a final landing speed of 5 m/s would need 47 Mk2-R parachutes. 47! Holy crap! Now, maybe that’s reasonable given the size of the landing craft, but still, holy crap!

So, for a long time, I’ve had a survey mission to do on the far side of Kerbin. (I know, what was I thinking? I took it for the advance, but it was bothering me, and I had to fix it.) I tried using my hypersonic high-speed travel plane, which made it to the survey destination no problem, but ended in fire and debris when I tried to land.

Enter tonight’s mission. The Kerbal Extended Range Ballistic Launch Assistance Module, or KERBLAM, is an intercontinental rover-and-crew delivery system, launched atop my standard heavy lift rocket. The KERBLAM command module sits beneath a fuel tank and a pair of engines, on which parachutes are mounted, and sits above the KERBLAM rover, a wide, flat rover ideal for blasting across Kerbin’s deserts, dune buggy-style.

The boosters separate, and the KERBLAM continues on its flight.

As the KERBLAM hits the atmosphere, I verify that the trajectory is good:

(Thanks, Trajectories mod.)

But then, disaster strikes! Even a suborbital reentry is too much for an engine to take, and it blows up in short order (KERBLAM lives up to its name!). The fuel tank goes with it, but the booster’s service module (and the batteries and reaction wheels it contains) survive, and serve as a heat shield for the rest of the aerobraking. Ditch it, pop the chutes, and we’re back in action.

It turns out that I’ve landed 25 kilometers away from my target zone, thanks to the explosions and tumbling. Oops. Oh well. It’s a chance to enjoy the desert sights.

The best part is, I even made K$75000 off of the mission! I wasn’t expecting that.

Soooo cool Fishbreath! Would you upload your rocket + rover design to Dropbox or something? I’d love to study what you did to expand my own horizons.

Sure! I’d like to refine the KERBLAM a little, so that I can safely re-enter with it, but that may be difficult—Trajectories only calculates trajectories for the current stage, so I’d need to either put the heat shields on the front somehow and enter missile-style, or find some way to have exposed engines which are nevertheless covered by heat shields.

I’ve been fooling around a bit with Kerbalism, and so far I’m pretty impressed. Very nice UI, nice integrated design. I may feel differently once I lose a Kerbal, though. I hate losing Kerbals.

Also, I’m loving EVE / Stock Visual Enhancements / Scatterer! I’ve never installed a graphics mod before because of concern about memory. Glad I did!

Now I"m working on setting up Voice Attack to work with KSP. So far so good. I have the computer say “acknowledged” or “engaged” to me after some voice commands I issue. (I like to use voice to save wear and tear on my hands.) Fun!

I think I am going to try a Kerbalism based career next, after this one. But for now, just having antennae ranges, station science and life support has been enough of an add for me. I’m trying to figure out how the heck I am going to get Kerbals to Duna and carry 500 or so days of food with me. I am guessing you pretty much have to take a growth pod of some type with you?

I don’t know if this is bug or I accidently clicked on something in my map display. I started a new 1.1 career. (I think 1.1 is actually harder than 1.0 because of tech changes etc. but that’s another story.) and have been playing off and on for several weeks.

I accepted a contract for a routine Kerbin satellite contract. But when I went to position the satellite the orbit I’m suppose to match isn’t there. It is not present in either the tracking station, nor in regular map mode. I’ve tried restarting and running in both 32 and 64-bit modes. I have completed 4 or 5 other satellites. I canceled the contract and then got offered another satellite contract but once again the satellite orbit isn’t shown in the tracking station.

Could there be some button I pushed to turn off satellite contract previews, I noticed this started after the latest dot release.

Edit.
Just checked on the KSP forums at least one other person is having the same problem, so 90% sure it is bug introduced in 1.1.2
grumble

As stupid as it sounds, is it definitely around Kerbin and not around e.g. the Mun?

I’m liking Kerbalism, but I wish it had a tech tree that started with unmanned, like the Engineering Tech Tree. I plan to use the ETT, but it’s awaiting an update this weekend, so for now I’m just tooling around.

I’m trying to figure out how the heck I am going to get Kerbals to Duna and carry 500 or so days of food with me. I am guessing you pretty much have to take a growth pod of some type with you?

I think there are several possible approaches. One, perhaps, is to launch some food and other essentials in a preparatory, unmanned launch, and put those goodies in orbit around Duna. I haven’t tried that, but I’m looking forward to giving it a go. Of course, that won’t help you with the outbound trip, but it will feed you after your arrival.

Another, as you say, is to bring a greenhouse or such. Kerbalism seems to assume you’ll do that for longer trips, but I’m not sure; haven’t gotten that far yet.

Or another option is the Deep Freeze mod, which I’ve just installed. It suspends life support requirements for the duration of a trip, I think. It comes with cool IVAs and such; I’m looking forward to trying it.

Spock, How goes your Kerbalism run? I am rethinking the USI stuff. I think USI is just a bit too much busy work to be as fun as I had hoped. The life support is challenging, but the plethora of base objects you need to hook together to make a self supported base is daunting. I’m still going to go to Duna in the current game, but I’m strongly considering a redo with Kerbalism, Planetarey Bases, and few parts.

Does anyone use Extra planetary launchpads, and is it actually cool? I’m not sure if it will be neat, or an OP method of getting spaceships anywhere in space…

Hi Fozzle, sorry I didn’t notice your post until just now. I’m really enjoying Kerbalism. As someone said on the forums, it’s the first life-support mod that doesn’t just mean you tack on an extra part or two. In this mod, you have to plan not only for food, but also electric charge, temperature, radiation, and other stuff. I’ve had to learn about magnetospheres to understand more about radiation, which is cool. Plus you get integrated Remote-Tech-like features (antennas with limited range, relays, etc), and a REALLY spiffy UI. On top of all that, you can customize it to some extent, with various .cfg variants provided by the mod’s author. I’m using the “Snacks” variant, which uses the Snacks mod’s somewhat-less punitive life-support mechanics for some (but not all) features of Kerbalism. I’m no expert on it yet, as I have only done a few manned missions, but I heartily recommend this mod.

I had the same experience as you with USI. There are so many big heavy parts, and it seemed to take me forever to get them to orbit, never mind landing them on a celestial body. I haven’t gotten to my colonization phase yet, but I’m looking forward to doing so with Kerbalism and Planetary Bases – just the arrangement you mentioned. Plus, I just prefer the stockalike look of Planetary Bases. If Nertea updates his space station parts for 1.1.2, I might add that. I’m also running Station Science for the first time.

On top of all that, I’m running the Historic Missions modpack in conjunction with Raidernick’s historic US and Soviet probes packs. So I have the actual Sputnik orbiting as we speak, along with Explorer, Vanguard and other early US probes. Really cool! The only issue with this, though, is that the “campaign” is some 500 missions long, and I’m not sure I want to do all those missions. I guess you can easily skip some using the debug tools. Still, the designer of the historic missions mod seems mindful of the need for variety, and so far I haven’t skipped any. You start with the German V-1 and V-2 (for which I used stock parts, but there are modpacks that let you emulate them). After a few satellite missions, I just got a mission to fly the X-15 with a pilot. So we’ll see.

Anyway, I think Kerbalism is one of the most impressive mods for KSP I’ve ever played. I say give it a try. :)

OK, So… I’m starting over ;) But before I do, I wanted to share…

[CENTER]The Rhea Silvia Mission to Duna
[/CENTER]

In my current career play through I missed the first window to Duna. So when the next window came along I wanted to make the most of it. Enter the Rhea Silvia mission to Duna. This was a 7 launch mission to Duna and Ike that included:
[ul]
[li]two satellites for collecting scansat data, The Remus and Romulus satellites[/li][li]two unmanned probes for science landings in various biomes on both planetary bodies, the Remus and Romulus probes[/li][li]Two manned landers for Duna and Ike, the Remus and Romulus landers[/li][li]The main mission vessel that carried the crew, life support and a science lab.[/li][/ul]

The launches all took place several days before the window was open to guarantee all the wrinkles were worked out, and all 7 vessels were ready to make the 250 day trip to the Duna sphere of influence. Once the launch window opened, each vessel made its transfer burn a day apart, to give me plenty of time to capture everything. Even so, one ship was lost in the transit. The Romulus satellite caught its capture burn, but managed to smack into the side of ike as I was capturing another craft. Thankfully after some review of deltaV and how over engineered the entire trip was, it was determined that the Remus Satellite would have the gas to scan both planetary bodies without a problem.

The Rhea Silvia carried 4 crew members to the Duna system; Jebediah the pilot, Siggun the scientist, Newke the scientist and Bill the Engineer. Newke would be in charge of scientific data gathered around Duna, and Siggun would be in charge of the ike missions. All 4 Kerbals would end the trip as 4 star astronauts with many honors bestowed upon them. The ship also maintained a full Science lab. The science lab was loaded with scientific data from the Kerbin system which it processed during the long haul to Duna. During it’s stay in orbit, and on the way home, the science lab would analyze the data from around Duna and Ike. When the trip was done, we collected a total of 18,400 science!

The Remus and Romulus unmanned probes were very successful. Remus landed on Duna twice, in two separate biomes, and returned data to the Rhea Silvia one time. During the second landing Remus used a highly elliptic orbit to change it’s inclination for a polar landing, where it collected new science and transmitted it back to Kerbin. There was not enough fuel left to return to orbit. The Romulus probe landed and took off from Ike a total of 3 times and returned its data to the Romulus lander which was manned by Siggun at the time.

The manned landers were successful as well. Siggun was able to land on ike and retreive science samples and drop a flag before returning to orbit around Duna, and meeting up with the Rhea Silvia. After that he spent most of his time in the science lab. Newke was able to take the Romulus lander to Duna twice, thanks to some creative fuel transfers between the remaining vessels. This mission was almost a wash however. It turns out that the TWR numbers were a bit off, and the fully loaded lander was too heavy to leave the surface! Fortunately we could unload some of our fuel to the Rhea Silvia, and that was enough to correct the oversight. Both landings went much easier then I remember Duna landings in the past!

The entire trip was terribly over engineered. On the return trip home, I picked up a mission to fly by three moons in the same journey. I already had Ike, so picking up Mun and Minmus on the way home was a snap. I left the probes and landers in orbit around Duna and Ike, just in case they prove useful in the future. The Rhea Silvia returned to Kerbin with roughly 1600 deltaV remaining even after a orbital burn of about 900.

[ul]
[li]I think this will be the last mission I fly in this career. But I was able to finalize my mod list for the ultimate Fozzmod pack. [/li][li]I am going to leave off of the USI Kolonization stuff. I really don’t want to mine and track 20 different resources to make gas and food =)[/li][li]I found a nifty mod called Simple Construction which adds Interplanetary launchpads to existing parts.[/li][li]I like the near future stuff I think the construction and solar panels, while not needed are nifty looking =)[/li][li]I am going to use the Community Tech Tree. I think it is just too easy to fill the current one especially with Dmagic, which I like.[/li][li]Planetary base systems seems like they would be harder to land then USI, but that is not the case. I like the look of the bases, and found them easy to use.[/li][li]Kerbalism looks neat, but it is not compatible with a number of other things, and the author changes an awful lot of basic cycles in the game in this mod. For that reason, I’m going to stick with USI Life support and remote tech, and connected living spaces.[/li][/ul]

This is the biggest Kerbal mission I have ever done, and although I also made some pretty cool bases, space stations, etc. I needed to share this one =)
I don’t think there is a way to link an IMGUR album is there? so For the full mission album click here.