Kerbal Space Program

Merry if it’s any consolation I have probably 900 hours in Kerbal, so if you multiply that out by dollars spent per hour I think I got my money’s worth =) That being said, I’m not sure about a console version. I would miss one thing incredibly: Kerbal Engineer Redux.

From the devs on Reddit:

[quote]
All good things must come to an end, and so it is for us. It is time for each of us to move on from Squad. Kerbal Space Program is an incredible game and has truly been a joy to create. We have greatly enjoyed working together with such a tightly-knit, professional, and talented development team, and with such a wonderful community. Over the last update cycle we’ve taken KSP to new heights and achieved great things with such a small team. We’ve finished work on update 1.2 and when Squad releases it, it will be a product of which we can be truly proud. We hope you share that opinion and we hope you enjoy playing it as much as we loved creating it.

Thank you all for the incredible community support. So long, and thanks for all the snacks!

Signed, in no particular order, your Kerbal developers Mike (Mu), Bill (Taniwha), Nathanael (NathanKell), Sébastien (Sarbian), Jim (Romfarer), Brian (Arsonide), Chris (Porkjet), Nathan (Claw)[/quote]

From Squad on their Tumblr :

[quote]
We also want to thank our fantastic team of professionals, whose hard work, dedication and passion made this possible!

But this is not all! Here at Squad we’re looking into the future and we have great and ambitious plans for the KSP franchise and even more!

If you’ve been following us closely, you must be aware that we’re growing and we’ve been looking for talent and great collaborators that help us build the next milestone of this franchise. New talents have enrolled in the past few months and they are just as excited as we are. Bringing new talents is allowing us to bring fresh ideas to the plate and we can’t be more excited for what’s coming.

There’s an important amount of new content, besides this new update, that we’re currently working on. This includes more free updates, full expansion packs with an incredible amount of new content and much more!

We’re also experimenting with new technologies and platforms to expand the KSP experience towards new horizons.[/quote]

I’ll egotistically throw out that I am thankful for the development to finally end, so I can plunge head on into updating all my mods without fearing of having to do it again a couple weeks later!

Did they ever get the 64 bit version working?

It works for me, so possibly? 1.2 seems to be more stable with it. I’m hands off until Tuesday, though.

I’ve been playing exclusively 64-bit for months now. On Windows. :)

Works great. No more memory limitations! Woot!

Uhh, weren’t they supposed to be adding multiplayer?

Squad is pretending they aren’t going to stop development, but they’ve lost everyone that was involved in the ‘hard bits.’ The only staff left are the content guys in Mexico that danced around the periphery of the guts and I have trouble imagining how they’ll continue in any meaningful capacity. Frankly, I’ve been wondering when Mike would pull the cord given all the other departures.

We haven’t heard a peep about multiplayer in a dev diary for over a year, so I suspect that had been thrown into cold storage for a later expansion or similar. Thankfully we have mods :)

Given what Squad is and was, and where KSP came from, this is an announcement long in coming, I think. Sad, but I do sincerely wish these people well, after the enjoyment and education I gained from this game.

Farewell you wonderful people.

I was very confused in how you could have everyone who developed the game leave, but then at the same time say the series is developing on several fronts.

Maybe the guys could all join Empyrion :)

Ditto

There is already a ton of things to do in Kerbal which I’ve never done (like go land on anything outside of Duna), and the 1.2 addition communications is pretty much ho-hum. So I am sympathetic that they probably run out of fresh ideas for Kerbal.

Still it was a very talented development team, who by all accounts deserved a lot more pay than the got.

Any development studio that is even 1/2 way serious about making serious and/or educational games, should be figuring out a way to hire the team as intact as possible.

Tbh i feel the game is still lacking in “space” content, they kept adding stuff to do in the surface of kerbin like planes or even water buoyancy for the boats but not enhancing the real aspect of the game which was throwing rockets to space.

In game tools like a way to calculate Delta V should have been added long ago and not rely so much on mods.

Hopefully the new team focuses on the more on this and “makes space great again”

Wow, that’s a lot of departures. Anyway, I agree that more “space” stuff is my preference, though personally I don’t see a need to spend dev resources on delta-V calculators when Kerbal Engineer and other mods do it so well already. Above all, I agree that I learned a lot from this computer game, and that’s not something I can say about many games.

I agree, it’s special when a game teaches just as well as it entertains.

Does anyone know what the dev team are doing next? Are they still all together or did they individually quit or something? Given some of the posts above I feel some people know alot more about the context than I do. I would be interested in keeping tabs with whatever they get up to next.

Doesn’t sound good. And the bullshit boiler plate response from Squad doesn’t help any.

There were a bunch of things on the drawing board to add to the game. With none of the core team who left saying anything positive about Squad or defending them from allegations, this just seems sad.

I’m surprised the KSP team didn’t give up when Harvester left. (Or perhaps this is them doing so? I’m not trusting any of those unsourced reddit posts)

Looks like that to me.

This is my read as well. And, given the Squad profile from Polygon a few years back, this is a sadly unsurprising development.

KSP 1.2 should arrive today…sometime…maybe. Hopefully.