Kerbal Space Program

I’ll up your top 10 by saying it is in my top 4!

I remember mowing lawns to save up money to buy Wizard’s Crown and F-15 Strike Eagle for my XT clone back in the day. Times have changed!

Whaddayaknow.

[quote]NEW YORK–(BUSINESS WIRE)–May 31, 2017-- Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:TTWO) today announced that it has acquired Kerbal Space Program, the critically acclaimed physics-based space simulation game. Created by independent developer Squad, Kerbal Space Program was originally released on PC in April 2015* and has sold over two million units to date. The title has been widely popular with the media and consumers alike, earning a Metacritic rating of 88** and a Steam user score of 97%***.

The acquisition of Kerbal Space Program further diversifies Take-Two’s industry-leading portfolio of owned intellectual property. The current team at Squad will continue to provide support and ongoing development for the title through game updates and expansions, including the previously announced Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion, which is expected to launch later this calendar year.

“We have been impressed with Kerbal Space Program since its launch, and we are committed to grow this unique experience while continuing to support its passionate community,” said Michael Worosz, SVP, Head of Corporate Development and Independent Publishing at Take-Two. “We view Kerbal Space Program as a new, long-term franchise that adds a well-respected and beloved IP to Take-Two’s portfolio as we continue to explore opportunities across the independent development landscape.”

In Kerbal Space Program, players must build a space-worthy craft, capable of flying its crew of lovable humanoid Kerbals into space, while keeping them alive. Players have access to an array of parts that must be assembled to create a fully-functional spacecraft. Each part has its own function and will affect the way a ship flies (or doesn’t) based on realistic aerodynamic and orbital physics. Players who successfully launch their spacecraft can explore their planet’s moons and solar system, sharing their unique creations and advice with a strong and growing online community.

The forthcoming Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion for PC adds exciting new content to the base game, including the Mission Builder and History Pack. Mission Builder enables players to create and edit missions that can be shared with the community. History Pack challenges players to re-live historical missions from humankind’s own space history, complete with a unique Kerbal Space Program twist. [/quote]

Next up: How to get microtransactions into KSP.

I’m just glad I have the DRM-free version of KSP, which means I can save as many versions as I want and go back to them if needed. ;)

You go, girl.

(Downloading now)

Where are you getting the DRM free? Just the Steam version?

Mine is from the KSP website itself. It’s also available on GOG. Not sure how DRM-free or not the Steam version is.

I dunno either. I do know you can turn off auto-updates on the Steam version though, the same way you can do it for other games.

Same way I got mine, long before it arrived on Steam.

I’m regretting not buying this on GoG

The Steam version is DRM free as well. And you can get all the older versions (up to 1.0, I think) by applying for “betas” there.
Don’t cry, @Jason_McMaster ;)

Wow. That was rather unexpected. I have a funny feeling this isn’t going to be a good thing. Also, so much for ever seeing multiplayer. But I guess that hope died a long time ago. :(

yay!5

So, I played KSP waaaay back when there was very little content, and if I remember correctly, no career mode. I’ve just immersed myself again over the weekend, because … why not? It’s a fantastic game!

The issue is I have never modded KSP. Any recommendations from you guys on your top 5 mods? Should I restart post-modding?

I like Kerbal Engineer Redux for building, Trajectories and some precise node mod for flying, Kerbal Alarm Clock for quality of life, and Station Science to help make space station a destination rather than a way station.

Damn, all of those look handy. Any thoughts on KAS (Kerbal Attachment System) and KIS (Kerbal Inventory System?)

Not from me. I tend to stick pretty close to stock, personally. I’d have to check my mod directory on the home computer later, but I don’t think I run anything besides those five right now. (Unless I still have a scanning satellite mod going.)

They seem popular, thus my wonder about them. I don’t want to go too overboard, either. I don’t know how easy it is to add/remove mods, so I don’t want to screw up a new game if I try too many and don’t like half of them.

You’ll eventually want MechJeb after you’ve flown a few dozen missions and start getting bored with flying the ship yourself during the easy parts.

RCS Build Aid is important if you want to build a craft that uses RCS. Without it, it’s very hard to place your RCS thrusters in a way that makes them actually do what you want instead of just spinning your craft around.

Science! tells you when you have the opportunity to do an experiment and gives you a button to push to do it. That way you don’t have to constantly check what biome you’re in and then try to click on the right part to run the experiment.

The latter two just add to the UI, so you should be able to remove them with no problem.