Kerbal Space Program

You can turn off the business sim side if you don’t want it. If you do, I’ve found that the business side doesn’t limit me as much as research, and (at least sans mods) there isn’t anything in space you didn’t put there, so there’s not a stock way to play SpaceX Simulator 2018.

The business side isn’t that important. It’s pretty simplistic. But if you play career mode, you do have to complete missions to earn cash to afford rocket parts, athough it’s not hard IMO.

The more fun aspect is generating science.

As a business sim, either I or it is failing, as I systematically turn off that aspect for the hindrance and the zero reward the monetary aspect brings to my space fantasies.

I concur with @Kyle700 that science is still somewhat fun.

The business part of it isn’t really a challenge, but it gives me goals to pursue. If I’m gonna land someone on Duna and bring him back home, I expect to get paid for it.

Agreed. The only time the business side of things even plays into KSP is if you are playing hardcore and do not redo any launches. Then you can get into a pickle at times. Science is still fun for me, especially if you are playing with mods and the community science tree.

The other thing that is new that will throw you if you are not prepared for it is the communication component. If you are unsure why you keep losing control of your space craft, this is most likely the culprit. I like the com relay game, but I know it has killed a lot of Kerbals for newly returning Space Commanders.

https://www.balsamodelsim.com/

Now we know why KSP ended up with so much plane content

I can’t recall the history, but I think most of the early aeroplane stuff was just a big hack made by some modder (CJ?) And was basically rocket parts designed to look like plane bit. The KSP team liked it so much that they hired him and made it an official part of the game.

It’s interesting how the editor looks a lot like the KSP one. Hopefully it was entirely original code, otherwise the evil suites at SQUAD might send in the lawyers.

I did my first long-distance EVA (rescuing Jeb from a parking orbit I’d left him in after an early sub-orbital/sub-optimal encounter with the Mun) the other night, and I felt like just the dog’s bollocks. Matching orbits in KSP is like pulling teeth.

Only the twenty first ones are painful!

Because that’s when you stop trying?

I never even thought of getting to Eeloo especially not like this.

Wow that is impressive!

That’s batshit.

If you haven’t played the game it’s not nearly as impressive I am sure, but if you have played it and managed to make a small space station, dock, reach the outer planets, etc?

Then you understand just how batshit all of that is.

I imagine most anybody that follows the thread on 5+ year old game has tried it. I pretty much always play career mode, mostly because I don’t have imagination to even try something like that. I’ve never been to the outer planets, only Duna and the inner ones.

Much less the skill/patience to pull it off. Then speed it up and set it to music.

The first stage was a matter of computer horsepower and patience, but the Eeloo transfers and orbits? I have no idea how they were managed (and the video was going too fast!).

The new ‘Breaking Ground’ DLC deserves a bump. News here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/184279-kerbal-space-program-breaks-ground-with-a-new-dlc/

Seems like they’re introducing new parts and some robotics stuff. $14.99 for new adopters but free to anyone who owned prior to April 2013. Best part though? It’s only 3 weeks away!

Thanks for the heads-up. The robotics does look cool. In addition, planets will now have features you can explore, including scientific finds that will support new experiments. I’ve long thought KSP needed something more to do on planets, so I hope this fits the bill.

Hopefully so. While I thoroughly enjoyed the core of launching rockets by the seat of your pants, I’ve found that the more they add, the less I enjoy the game. I tend to over-analyze things so the more data I have at hand, the more I spiral.

Landing on the mun and returning without parachutes before they added a map? Fun! Designing a munar lander down the precise dV required for an optimal trip? Not fun. I get enough of that sort of required precision in my day job.

Heh, I know what you mean. Although I don’t know how you managed to return without parachutes!

That said, I guess I like at least some ease-of-use features. I like some sort of delta-V guidance, because I don’t like re-doing a mission because I didn’t bring enough fuel. And I admit to using mods like Kerbal Alarm Clock and PreciseNode.

But I draw the line at automated mods like MechJeb. I like achieving orbit on my own, and I love docking manually. I think it’s one of the most satisfying things in the game.