Kerry charged with Heresy

That could be because pedophilia and rape aren’t forms of heresy.
[/quote]

But aren’t they “sins?”

I’m pretty sure that “heresy” is restricted to preaching false doctrine. To be a heretic, Kerry would have to claim that the doctrine of the True Church is pro-choice. Simply being “in error” isn’t enough (otherwise all unconfessed sinners would be heretics).

Yes, of course they are. Mortal sins that quite a few priests were defrocked for having committed.

John Many Jars analysis seems sound. I doubt Kerry is guilty of heresy, but I hardly profess to know everything the man has said on the subject of abortion, nor do I particularly care one way or the other. Technically, he is probably guilty of sacrilege for accepting holy communion while in a state of mortal sin, and may be excommunicado as well.

But aren’t we all?

–milo
http://www.starshatter.com

How many priests were excommunicated for fucking young boys up the ass? I’ll wait while you get a number. What? None that you know of? Amazing. And yet, here they are, trying to excommunicate Kerry… for having an opinion contrary to that of the church. Wow.

Yeah, but, see, celibate priests need an outlet for their pent up lust and therefore… uh… never mind.

Except that Kerry isn’t being excommunicated by anyone, let alone the Catholic Church. But don’t let facts get in the way of a good old fashioned rail.

All of those who remained in a state of sin. However, excommunication can be resolved through repentance, confession, absolution, and penance.

By the way, I may have misspoken earlier when I suggested that Senator Kerry was subject to automatic excommunication. Apparently, only the direct accomplices to an abortion are automatically excommunicated. I don’t know whether the sacrilege of accepting communion while in a state of mortal sin constitutes desecration of the Eucharist or not. It probably does not. If it did, that would also carry a penalty of automatic excommunication until resolved through the sacrament of reconciliation. That said, Canon law is very complex and I am neither a priest nor a lawyer.

Why any of this would matter to anyone except the Senator and his priest, I have no idea.

–milo
http://www.starshatter.com

That could be because pedophilia and rape aren’t forms of heresy.

–milo
http://www.starshatter.com[/quote]

Good point. However, being pro-Death Penalty clearly is a form of Heresy, since the Catholic Church is staunchly against the death penalty (except when it is the “only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor” (see http://www.cacp.org/pages/585204/).

I think moves like this just embarass the hell out of the side that makes them. Something like this just makes the Republican Party look stupid for being even loosely affiliated with these idiots.

Except that Kerry isn’t being excommunicated by anyone, let alone the Catholic Church. But don’t let facts get in the way of a good old fashioned rail.[/quote]

The whole point of this political group bringing a charge of heresy against him is to get him excommunicated. Do you really think the group was founded and funded purely to get him a very serious private talking-to by his local priest?

Are there? Like whom? [/quote]

Er, all my catholic friends and family, excluding their grandparents and the batshit crazies, are pro-choice and pro-gay marriage.

Was the 30 years war 100% agreed upon by all catholics? Is the inquisition looked upon fondly by catholics? Popes are not God (anymore) Everyone knows that he’s just the little turtley looking nice misguided crazy uncle funnyhat of the church.

Maybe all the catholics I know are rotten to the core, dunno, seem like nice folks to me…

Except that Kerry isn’t being excommunicated by anyone, let alone the Catholic Church. But don’t let facts get in the way of a good old fashioned rail.[/quote]

The whole point of this political group bringing a charge of heresy against him is to get him excommunicated.[/quote]

No, they specifically deny they’re trying to get him excommunicated and the experts say it’s highly unlikely that he’ll get excommunicated. This is all in the article. All you have to do is read it to figure it out.

Do you really think the group was founded and funded purely to get him a very serious private talking-to by his local priest?

Clearly the group is founded and funded to smear Kerry, but that’s not the same as excommunicating Kerry, which is something only the church can do.

We need a Barbie doll that says “Catholic theology is hard.”

Sister Barbie, ruler and a hairbun included!

Sister Barbie, ruler and a hairbun included![/quote]

Sister Barbie says:

“Catholic jokes are funny”

Note: Sister Barbie’s comments do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of QT3. Some assembly required. Batteries not included.

Sister Barbie, ruler and a hairbun included![/quote]

Sister Barbie says:

“Catholic jokes are funny”

Note: Sister Barbie’s comments do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of QT3. Some assembly required. Batteries not included.[/quote]

No heresy was commited in the assembly of this doll.

At least one diocese now has declared bankruptcy because of all the lawsuits. Fucking Catholic Church (note: that is “Catholic Church” capitalized, and does not refer to Catholic individuals).

I’ve done some IT work for Catholic Churches. The Pope’s money always been good up to this point.

I heard the local talk radio guy talking about this on my ride home today. He’s Catholic, conservative, and hates Kerry. But he spent all his time ridiculing the charge (“What are they going to do, throw Kerry into the water and see if he sinks? And I love this bit about a diabolical conspiracy–you just don’t see the word diabolical used enough these days.” That sort of thing).

So all I can think is that if that’s the reaction they get from a guy who should be a natural supporter of the attack, then nobody’s going to give a damn.

Gav