Kerry's Biggest Challenge?

Now that the debates are over and the presidential race enters its closing stages, what do you think is the biggest challenge facing the Kerry campaign?

To my mind, it’s convincing the electorate that a Kerry administration would actually be able to pay for all the things they’ve promised to do. There has been much talk of plans during the campaign but I don’t think they’ve done a sufficiently good job of convincing people that those plans are realistic. A little less ducking difficult questions by referring people to johnkerry.com and a little more evidence that non-partisan analysts and economists have studied the plans and agree that they’re feasible would have helped the Kerry campaign tremendously, I feel.

What do you think the Kerry campaign needs to do to convince undecided voters that he’s the better candidate on November 2?

I think undecideds are eventually going to make their decision based on the economic plans of the candidates; if Iraq hasn’t caused them to make up their mind yet, it’s not going to be the decisive issue. Therefore, Kerry should implement the following four step plan:

1. Highlight the Bush administration’s reluctance/refusal to admit errors of policy.
  2. Emphasize the sluggishness of the current economy.
  3. Combine 1 & 2 and suggest that if Americans are unhappy with the economy now, they will likely remain so, because Bush won’t do anything different in his second term.
  4. Outline three or four clear, specific economic ideas that show a clear contrast to the current administration. Closing the economic loopholes that encourage businesses to outsource is a good example.

Sadly for Kerry, he can blather on about any of these points for a half hour. While people like me don’t mind complexity, long drawn out answers aren’t likely to win undecideds. Visual images in his advertisements can easily accomplish the first three steps above, while his speeches should be hitting the fourth point.

Keep his message clear, and focused.

Don’t get bogged down in arguing the other side’s fake talking points.

And stop talking about senor veep’s lesbo daughter.

And stop talking about senor veep’s lesbo daughter.[/quote]

Exactly. They’re trying to drag him into a nonsense debate.

Convince Average Joe that he isn’t a gung-ho liberal that will tax him to death. That and flip-flopping are what all the conservatives around me are complaining about anyway.

[quote=“Jeremy_Johnsen”]

Convince Average Joe that he isn’t a gung-ho liberal that will tax him to death. That and flip-flopping are what all the conservatives around me are complaining about anyway.[/quote]

Well, if Bush couldn’t even communicate that message to his base…