Keyboard External Num Pad Question

Bula,

I think the answer is that I am pretty much hosed. As I’ve been typing much more, I’ve developed incredible pain in my right wrist and forearm. I ordered a split, mechanical keyboard to ameliorate this. It does not have a 10-key, and I thought that I’d just add the 10-key separate. Now that I think of it, I do not believe that I’ll be able to use alt codes since they’re not the same keyboard.

Is there a solution for this? Can I macro some of the common alts I’m using, such as —?

Where I am now, mail, when it gets to me, takes about 2 months, so I don’t think that I want to order the 10-key, but if it can be made to work for alt codes, I will.

Thanks!

https://www.flextend.com/

Is that a real thing? Ha! My pain is gone now with the split board, but I’m left without the num pad.

Oh, that’s good. And yes, it’s a real thing. A great product at that.

As to the other issue, if you can’t find a more economical solution, you could get a gaming keyboard and program however you like. Unfortunately, Logitech has stopped making the g13, which is awesome. There’s no replacement, which would leave you with Razer, and I avoid Razer like the plague. Absolutely do not buy an Orbweaver, but a Tartarus might be ok (80 bucks), because it doesn’t have a thin rubber piece with Razer’s guaranteed to fail aggressive, as far as I can see. Red Dragon makes some cheaper ones, but I can’t vouch for them.

Yes, there are tons of numpad-only keyboards on Amazon, some of them are even mechanical. If I got an 80% keyboard I would get one of them.

Also look into getting a handshake mouse. Your carpal tunnel may come from mousing.

Thank you, I bought one of those (though an Anker brand, and actually, I bought one for my laptop and one for my desktop) and it’s fantastic.

I guess I will order a numpad mech. Do you know if there is any way that I can get it so that I can do alt+ codes? Or am I SOL?

I don’t see why alt+number codes wouldn’t work on an external numpad, but I haven’t tried it.

I guess I could buy a cheap on and try. I was going to buy the Kinesis one, but people commented that external num pads don’t accept alt+ as the alt key on the main keyboard does not have any way to communicate to the num pad.

Guess not many people are in this scenario. Thanks for the help, though! Good advice in this thread for people who have RSI!

I have a Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard with a detached number pad. I never use the number pad but let me set it up and enter some ascii codes on it today.

Oh wow! Yes, if you could do that and let me know, I’d be really dadgum appreciative! If it doesn’t, maybe I can find some way to do macros of some sort for my common entries, although I’ve never used macros before. :+)

I found this:

I’m not positive it would work for you, but it seems like a promising solution.

@copeknight, THANK YOU SO MUCH. This is just what I needed to see, and is exactly what I’m looking for. I was totally convinced that I was going to be absolutely out of luck…I owe you one!

Well it mostly works? Using my laptop keyboard and the 10key by itself i can do things like degree symbol ALT+0176. But it won’t appear unless I hit 0 on the numberpad again.

Using my work computer ALT+0176 pops up perfectly.

Maybe the Bluetooth part of the keyboard makes it unhappy? I wouldn’t call it 100% successful. I can’t also make it work with the shorter ASCII codes like ALT+1 at all.

That is weird. The more I’ve researched it, the more I realize that I really didn’t know the difference between the num pad and the num row. I typically only use the longer codes for the stuff I need to do, so I could train myself to hit 0 again.

Shucks, it’s worth the risk for me. I’ll but an external and see if it works. No other solution I’ve found has been anything other than soul-crushing to use. :+)