Kickstartin' a comic book!

*** KICKSTART PIMPAGE ALERT ***

Hey folks –

Last summer I rounded up a motley crew of five alumni from the school where I teach (The Center for Cartoon Studies), put them in a room, and made them play a game of Fiasco. Then, they took the audio recording of that session, transcribed it, and adapted it into a 72-page, full-color comic book (with editorial oversight from yours truly). The result is a book called Bingo Baby, the first of what we hope will be an annual experiment in collaborative storytelling. Today, we launched the Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for printing.

The project grew out of an annual assignment wherein we break our students up into teams, and require each team to produce a 24-page, full color comic in two weeks. The group writing experience is so successful and fun that I wanted to do more with it, so I hatched the idea for doing one 72-page book each summer, using a different team of cartoonists and different narrative strategies each time. Next year, for instance, we might try to make a western comic using Mike Leigh’s directorial technique.

Anyway, I’m posting this on Qt3 because I figure there is some good comics/games nerd overlap here, so it might be of interest to some of you. Please take a peek and kick a buck or ten our way, if you feel so inclined.

Thanks!

This actually sounds pretty awesome dude, but if you’re swinging for the crowd, you need to have an edge. An anti-hero who only abducts (and other unpleasantness) disabled people, the narrative could start with our ah, maybe called Axel Stensterson…

But no cats with breasts.

We’re down to the last week on this, and it’s looking pretty good! Less than $300 to go. I won’t bump this thread any more after this.

The most important news is that we finally added reward levels for international backers. We weighed the potential shipping cost pitfalls and decided it was worth the gamble, especially since we want to get the book into the hands of as many people as possible. Apologies for taking so long to do this.

Over the course of the campaign, I was lucky enough to be given a few opportunities to explain the project’s genesis, which depended largely upon a childhood spent playing Dungeons & Dragons. If you’re at all curious about that, you can read something I wrote at The Huffington Post, an interview by a comics blogger, or listen to a short interview on a Canadian arts podcast. There’s also more page samples and some background info on our project’s website.

The book will eventually be available at retail for $12, but we won’t be printing up any more t-shirts until next year’s project. So if you are dire need of a new stylish black tee, you only have 7 days to augment your wardrobe.

The Kickstarter campaign page is here.

Thanks to all who’ve kicked in, it looks like this is going to happen!