Kickstarting and Screaming

I remember there’s a Qt3 podcast about Auztralia, but it’s been a long time since I listened to it.

I’m pretty surprised Auztralia is getting expanded! It’s a weird game. It’s a light route-building game that’s not terribly interesting, but becomes somewhat fun with random monsters appearing that can wreck your route or give you points if you kill them. It’s a high degree of randomness. Sometimes you want those enemies near you so you can farm them for points, other times you’re praying the go the opposite direction. It adds drama, but not much strategy.

I thought it was fun for a play or two, but not a game worth revisiting. If it sounds up your alley, I’d suggest just the base game. The base game came with 2 maps, but they weren’t interestingly different that it was exciting to replay because of new maps.

Also really minor complaint, but they use the a terrible font type and it really drives me nuts. It looks like they’re continuing to use it in this production. It’s completely unreadable at a distance, which is where the enemy cards will be placed.

One of the expansions has a player take over running the old ones which could be interesting. I’ve never gotten around to actually playing AuZtralia though, and I’ve never really run into anyone who seemed wildly in love with it, plus Tom’s not a fan, so I dunno that I’m likely to expand it.

I’m on the fence for V-Commandos… but a one-year wait, ugh. You can get all in without minis, that’s a great option. No paint job required, just tokens. But one year.

That’s KS for you. If you want the stuff that exists currently right away, there may still be copies floating around although I think it’s getting scarce. But I’m not gonna bother trying to track stuff down. KS is way easier. and maybe in a year I’ll have made more space for it. :P

I’m getting the all-in, without the minis, mainly for solo play. This one is pretty tough to get, especially if you want expansions.

It’ll be a nice present in a year, which will come around faster than I’d like I’m sure. :)

I went all in deluxe for V-Commandos and bought a core box for cheap on ebay. I might keep the deluxe or sell it, depending on how I like it. But there is a lot of positive feedback on the game system.

All right, I’ve put down money for this. I like the old school sci-fi/horror mix, though I’m not usually into the ‘hidden traitor’ type of games. Maybe this will be a first.

Okay, here’s the thing I backed. A 133-card Tarot deck, with all the cards coming from other tarot decks and unique cards drawn by the artist, etc. 9 Death cards! 2 Devils! The Tower is a run of 3 different cards! Weird stuff invented for the deck, like the 3 of Books! I don’t really ‘do’ the Tarot thing, (and certainly don’t believe in any occult nonsense), but I collect odd decks, sometimes-I have the Vertigo tarot from the comic book imprint back in the 90s (love that Dave McKean art!), and I have a Tarot deck based on Cultist Simulator for example, among others.

The biggest back to this is that it’s almost been too successful, in my mind. At this point, he’s sold over 6000 decks. Initially he was hoping to sell 1500. The amounts do mean he’s paying his artists more, and is planning on a couple extra 15-card packs (getting the deck to over twice the size of a classic 78-card deck), which is cool, but the having a cool, weird-ass deck of only 1500 copies is a little different than one of 10,000. Ah well.

Anyone want to talk me into or out of Empyreal: Spells and Steam? There’s a kickstarter to reprint the game running now.

I like Age of Steam, I like Argent the Consortium, and Empyreal seems to somehow combine the two.

Can’t help you out too much there, I’m afraid. I have only played it a couple times, but it is pretty good. It plays well with 6 players, too, which is pretty rare.

Same. Played it maybe twice, it seems good. Always a big fan of L99.

That project looks interesting. My misgivings are that I don’t like a lot of the artwork for the cards and it’s a bit pricey at $45 + $10 shipping.

But there are quite a few cool cards and Tarot decks are fun, even though I don’t believe in that stuff and I have no real idea how to read the cards.

Well, to be fair, there is a guidebook included (so you can learn!), and it’s almost twice the size of a normal deck!

Yeah, Empyreal’s great! It doesn’t feel much like Age of Steam in my opinion, more like a Euro game than an economic game. It’s also not as bananas as Argent. It’s a lot more chill than I was expecting. Plays quick.

If you’re looking for reasons not to get it, I think the box feels way too big for the scope of the game. If you bring this giant box to a friends house, they’ll expect a much more intense experience than you’ll actually get. The setup is kind of annoying for an otherwise breezy game. I really dislike the map visuals. They’re very noisy, don’t look like an environment, and can be hard to read.

But I really want to play it more.

Thanks! The huge box is honestly one of the biggest (no pun intended) things holding me back. I know that they made the box big so that it could hold the expansion and deluxe components, but I don’t especially want those, and space is at a premium in my apartment.

lot of positive buzz for Monster Hunter World

but I am still burned by the lackluster Dark Souls game by SFG … man, the loot in DS just didn’t work. Also it was almost 2 years late.

Who’s in Monster Hunter?

Not I. The license isn’t meaningful to me, Steamforged’s got a very mediocre reputation, gameplay looks simultaneously busy and simplistic, and if you want boss fights with crafting off the resources, it’s already a pretty substantial genre including Kingdom Death: Monster, Aeon Trespass: Odyssey, Townsfolk Tussle, Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood, and most saliently, Primal: The Awakening, which is basically just Monster Hunter but without the license. Only Primal’s gameplay looks a lot more creative and interesting. And basically every one of the other games I mention, while they’re doing disparate things and only Primal really specifically aims at Monster Hunter in terms of theme and specific weapons-as-classes sort of design, feels more inspired to me and more innovative. I don’t even really like KD:M for example, and lord knows it’s not affordable. But there is no question it produces a sort of grim, chaotic, desperate feeling that is unparalleled. MH:W just looked like there weren’t a lot of interesting decisions.

yes, I checked King of Average review of the current version of MH:W … doesn’t look that exciting to me. What was I thinking, SFG did it again.

Yeah, definitely skeptical of Steamforged, but specifically the art on these video game licensed games does not work for me. Just comparing Monster Hunter to Primal the Awakening, Primal has art that’s made for the board game, instead of stills that look like they’re rendered from a real-time game, which just look ugly. All the other games @malkav11 mentioned look better because they’re not trying to ape a 3D video games style. The minis look nice, but I don’t have an emotional attachment to the IP, and they don’t look as nice as even Primal for the same reason.

My favourite franchise outside of Diablo, but no. Just not into games based on minis and it doesn’t look that great.