Kickstarting and Screaming

Yay! I hope you enjoy it! Thank you!

If you ponied up for the Peachy Printer, $100 3D printer Kickstarter, then congratulations! You paid for this guy’s house.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kickstarter-money-used-build-house-102604346.html

After the Peachy Printer Kickstarter ended in late 2013, Boe and Grayston had nowhere to put all the money, so Boe deposited the money into his personal bank account until a new corporate account could be opened for the company to maintain. After that account opened, Grayston claims that Boe only transferred CA$200,000 of the money over, keeping the rest in his personal bank account. By March 2014, all the remaining money in Boe’s account, totaling more than CA$324,000, had been spent.

So where did all that money go? Well there’s a house in Saskatchewan right now that Boe built using money from the Peachy Printer Kickstarter. Grayston claims that Boe then promised to repay the CA$324,000 — with interest — so that the Peachy Printer project could continue development and ultimately fulfill its promise of delivering 3D printers to its backers. Grayston even posted a video of Boe admitting to embezzling the money, and his conversations with him to eventually recoup it so Peachy Printer could pay its staff and buy the parts needed to build the printers.

Now, two years later, Peachy Printer is out of money. Grayston claims that Boe has repaid CA$107,000 of the CA$324,000 he promised to pay, and is working through a lawyer to negotiate the remaining payments. Grayston decided to finally go public with this information to his backers, and urges them to contact local police.

The video in the article is amazing.

Nice animations in the video. Glad they spent time and money on nice animations.

Now, when’s the asshole going to jail, or is embezzlement legal in Canada?

After the Peachy Printer Kickstarter ended in late 2013, Boe and Grayston had nowhere to put all the money, so Boe deposited the money into his personal bank account until a new corporate account could be opened for the company to maintain.

These guys are idiots.

Their website is currently a wall of text and graphs.

I’m not a backer, but I need to go afk and call 911.

Why would Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland want to talk to these guys?

$100,000 each?

I’m glad I didn’t know about that kickstarter, because I probably would have gotten suckered. I watched the first few minutes of their “rough build assembly instructions” video, and it looks like a fun project.

Darkest Night is relaunched.

Not sure what has changed or if it is a better proposition this time around yet.

They were able to lower the price by incorporating all the expansion content into the main box. So no buying them separately anymore, it’s all baked into second edition. Plus they’ve separated out the miniatures and made them and optional addon. So it’s $109+shipping for all the second edition content, $40 more if you want the miniatures. I feel much better taking a chance on it now and will be backing.

Looks like they bundled the expansions into the core game and are offering the game without minatures and a separate version that comes with a miniatures pack. Version without minis is $110 and the version with them is $150 (that’s a $30 reduction from the first round, if I recall correctly).

And I would’ve been first if it wasn’t for those meddling kids.

Now that makes a lot more sense. Glad to see they were able to reorganize this one, simplify the different reward levels, and put to rest the whole mini/standee inconsistencies. I’m sure there are probably some who would still like a base game, but it’s not a huge jump from whatever it was before ($70?) to $109 with significantly more in the box. US shipping is still $20, but they may be able to bring that down some.

Still not sure if I’m going to go now or wait for retail, but this is far more tempting. Is the play time of 2.5 hours accurate if playing solo?

That’s a huge improvement. I am in for a no minis copy. And an organizer tray is one of the stretch goals, too!

And on another note, I have no idea how popular This War of Mine was around these parts, but there’s a Kickstarter for the board game version running:

I watched Rahdo do a runthrough of it and it feels very similar to Robinson Crusoe, but with more complexity during each of the individual steps, and a few more moving parts. This will also be a Storybook style game, where at different times during the game you’ll be reading numbered bits choose-your-own-adventure style out of a book a la Arabian Nights and the more recent Above and Below.

I get the sense this one’s going to be on the top of quite a few solo lists when it releases. In multiplayer, it seems you don’t each play a character, but rather the controlling player (Leader?) changes hands pretty frequently. So you’re all working together to tell the story, but you won’t feel the same connection with the characters. I think the whole game will likely work better with just one controller, and given that a “campaign” (full playthrough of the game) can take 6 hours or so (there’s a “save” system), it will be easier to manage starting and stopping with just one.

That said, other than story moments, it also looks like it suffers from one of Eldritch Horror’s biggest issues on release, not having enough cards to avoid seeing the same stuff happen each game. The different type of decks in TWoM seem very thin, with only 5-20 cards in each. Based on what I saw in just one turn of the runthrough, I think you’ll likely see every card in those decks within a game or two.

One really cool thing about the game (and something Rahdo mentions), similar to a lot of video games today, the developers went in with the idea of turning the rulebook into a tutorial. So instead of getting the game home and having to sit down and read a long rulebook (or explain the rules to new players each time you play), you can just punch the game, set it up and go. The rulebook walks you through each step of the game and you don’t necessarily need to know about the later steps while doing the earlier steps. And in walking through the round with the rulebook, you’re getting every rule involved, not just a small subset like a lot of FFG’s starting rulebooks.

I’m very likely to back Darkest Night now. Strong relaunch, good rework of the delivery structure for miniatures.

Whalenought Studios, the developers of the underappreciated gem Serpents in the Stagland, have launched a campaign for Copper Dreams. They pitch it as “a CRPG featuring cyber-espionage on the edge of the galaxy, with turn based combat with timed actions, stealth and chainsaw arms.”

Midair (tribes like)

I watched the video does give that Tribes vibe from what I can see; but it is FTP so not sure how that would go.

Not sure if this has been mentioned upstream could not find it in a search.

I backed the Steve Jackson Ogre boardgame even though I didn’t purchase a copy. My main reason was that there was talk of maybe doing an Ogre computer game.

Got this email today:

Several Fronts, Some Progress
Posted by Steve Jackson Games (Creator)

It’s time and past time for another update, so even though I have no big milestones to report, here’s where we are.
[B]Ogre Computer Game

We are in serious negotiation with an experienced publisher. We have agreed on basic terms, and contract drafts are being passed back and forth. Of course, I should not name the publisher until something is actually signed.[/B]
Scenario Contest

Drew Metzger has taken point on this project. He would very much like to hear from the following five scenario writers: Kevin Henson, Arianne Lapine, Mike Ptak, Kevin Roust, and Corrado Zabetta. For this urgent purpose, you can reach him at [email protected]. Note that general correspondence on the status of the scenarios will not be answered from that email . . . please use the Ogre forum so everyone can see the question and answer.
Miniatures

We think we have some forward progress on the plastic minis. At this point, we are waiting for tooling feedback and final pricing from the factory.
Regular 6th Edition Boxed Set

This is the set that is just the Ogre game, but with the map and counters in the Designer’s Edition scale. It’s coming along very nicely. If the final files don’t explode and catch fire in some exciting way, we should have advance copies for store demos in December, with the game in stores in January. Rules and counters are complete . . . thanks to the forum-dwellers for comments on various versions of the rules! The box and Ogre garage are in second-draft stage but not finished.
Music

The tunesmithing continues to happen. I got a track from Tom earlier this week and had no comments past “I like it!” Keep putting those notes together, Tom!
Ogre Objective 218

. . . was not part of the Kickstarter, but this is a good chance to let you know it’s only a month away. It’s a fast two-player game. Read about it at 218.sjgames.com – and watch the video!

– Steve Jackson

I was starting to think they were not going to produce the computer version the main reason I backed it as well.

Yeah. I actually asked about the PC game a while ago on the Kickstarter page. The answer I got was something like: “While we hoped that we could someday do this, it was never guaranteed to happen. And there is no plan to do it at this time.”

So imagine my surprise/happiness. I played Ogre on the Commodore 64.

It was fun but minimalist. We really need an Ogre game for modern systems. Fingers crossed.